Opinion 2019 lineup

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do more than half of these 2019 teams have Trengove in the ruck over English?

No chance that happens imo unless English is injured.

Coaching panel clearly doesnt think English is ready yet. Hes been available for at least 6 weeks or so but hasn't been picked. Another preseason might get him there but theres no guarantee next year will be his breakout year.

Coaching panel clearly doesnt think English is ready yet. Hes been available for at least 6 weeks or so but hasn't been picked. Another preseason might get him there but theres no guarantee next year will be his breakout year.
In fairness, he was on restricted minutes the first two weeks back from memory so is just getting back to fitness.

I hope we don't ruin him like Josh Fraser. He'll play senior football in 2019 and be primed for 2020.

Not sure about that. He played the first 7 games of the season.

He missed ?2 months of footy, I think they're merely giving him a decent run at it in the 2s from his long lay off. I think he might be a chance this week.

Anyway, in relation to this thread, another preseason into him and ill be stunned if he isn't your first choice ruck next year.

Not sure about that. He played the first 7 games of the season.

He missed ?2 months of footy, I think they're merely giving him a decent run at it in the 2s from his long lay off. I think he might be a chance this week.

Anyway, in relation to this thread, another preseason into him and ill be stunned if he isn't your first choice ruck next year.

I hope you're right. A 205cm ruck with the skills of a midfielder. That's a coaches wet dream.

B: Dale Morris (36, 250) Aaron Naughton (19, 16) Easton Wood (29, 135)
HB: Jason Johannisen (26, 104) Zaine Cordy (22, 48) Hayden Crozier (25, 84)

R: Jackson Trengove (28, 167) Marcus Bontempelli (23, 102) Jack Macrae (24, 116)
C: Toby McLean (22, 58) Tom Liberatore (26, 117) Lachie Hunter (24, 103)

HF: Liam Picken (32, 198) Josh Schache (21, 38) Bailey Dale (22, 40)
F: Tory Dickson (31, 95) Tom Boyd (23, 61) Billy Gowers (22, 18)

I: Matt Suckling (30, 152) Caleb Daniel (22, 72) Josh Dunkley (21, 41) Bailey Williams (21, 31)

Depth chart:

Key defenders: Marcus Adams (25, 27) Lewis Young (20, 9)
General defenders: Ed Richards (19, 19)

Rucks: Tim English (21, 9) Jordan Roughead (28, 136)
Midfielders: Luke Dahlhaus (26, 154) Mitch Wallis (26, 121) Pat Lipinski (20, 16) Lin Jong (25, 60)

Key forwards: Jack Redpath (28, 36)
General forwards: Fergus Greene (21, 3)

Adams and Richards are a couple of guys who definitely should be in the team. Can’t figure out how we play more than four of Adams, Morris, Naughton, Cordy and Wood though. Same with Richards as I can’t see how we can play another defender with Crozier, Suckling, JJ and Daniel/Williams. Richards offers something more with his run so maybe he should slot ahead of Suckling but I thought Suckling was great before his injury. Richards is just a natural footballer though and could definitely slot in at half forward with runs through the midfield. All those defenders are injury prone though so there is likely to be spots available.

I like Trengove in the ruck, does all the follow up work really well and I’d have him as first ruck until English is ready to take over, which might not be far away. With McLean, Dunkley and Williams’s continued improvement I can’t find a spot for Dahlhaus and Wallis (who both might not be there anyway). Bontempelli needs to spend more time in the midfield next season, if he gets his possessions up to 27+ a game we’ll be very hard to beat. Macrae, McLean, Libba hopefully with Hunter, Dunkley, Williams complementing them is a really elite and young midfield.

Forward line is the toughest to pick. Just so few natural forwards on the list. Hopefully Picken is back for next season, I think Dickson is still best 22 but his body is a big question mark too. His defensive pressure is still there and he’s still our most reliable goal kicker, worried about the hammy’s though. Confident Dale can step up next year. Had a poor season this year but his end to 2017 was great and he’s still a kid. Greene has impressed me and I hope he plays a lot more next season. Need to draft some forwards. Would love a Jade Gresham type player to put in the forward pocket.

Luke McDonald is an enormous chance to not be at Norf in 2020 and Bont has spent his last two off season overseas trips with Kelly not McDonald.

And the biggest question is why anyone would go to Norf by choice?
Good call haha :thumbsu:

But whilst he hasn't been lured by the cash so far, the coin is still there for him. Norf will lose Thompson, Waite and probably another in the next two seasons, meaning that offer could potentially be more by the end of 2019.

Maybe I'm just so used to never landing a big fish that my expectations are rock bottom...

I like to muse after every game, what our 2019 lineup might look like.

Forward line is still a massive query. A fit backline and midfield are starting to take shape and better balance themselves though.

FB: Morris Cordy Wood
HB: Williams Adams JJ
C: Hunter Macrae Richards
HF: Dickson Schache Mclean
FF: English
R: Trengove Bonti Libba
IC: Crozier, West, Dunkley, Lipinski

Suckling, Picken, naughton, wallis, Dal, Dale, Lynch, gowers, Greene, Boyd.

Some points:

- I don’t see how Morris, cordy, adams, Wood and naughton all fit into the same team.

- Team has looked very different with Trengove in the ruck. Which leaves Boyd and English to fight for the forward/ruck role.

- we really need to land a goal-kicking small forward. I don’t like dal, dale, Daniel etc for that role. I do like Shai Bolton.

- Greene, gowers, Dickson (inj), Picken (inj) and lloyd if he comes can all fight for 2 mid size forward spots.

- add more class at 6 with rozee or rankine

If we can flip at least one of Dal and Wallis for some more speed and class, we’re rounding things out nicely.
Like this team fronk. Although agree with others that gowers is a lock in the forward line. He's had an outstanding season considering where he's come from. Pick 6 the other forward, if a mid, which I'm hoping for.

Also reckon Williams may eventually go through the middle. Like mofra, I also liked him resting forward for those couple of mid season games. Nice to have options.

Also agree that Morris, Cordy and Adams are ahead of naughton, for now. Although chances are both Adams and Moz won't play each week and naughton gets games. I'd be resting moz regularly next season.

Also agree English will take it up another notch and put some real pressure on Boyd to make the 22. Trengove needs to be one of the rucks if he keeps current form. He and libba to give us some mongrel in the guts. Bont, macrae and McLean the class.

Reckon we're looking good to push for the eight again. Although injury prevention and management must improve. Potentially a real crack at Kelly at next seasons end.

He’s only not in the team so that roughy is given a chance to prove he’s worthy of a spot next year.

My team keeps changing.

Like with everyone else I’m extremely unsure how the forward line will look medium to long term.

FF: Green Boyd/English Gowers
HF: PlayerX Schache PlayerX
R: Trengrove Libba Bont
C: Richards Jacko Toby
HB: JJ Naughts Williams
FB: Morris Cordy Wood

Bench: Dunks Hunter Crozier Daniel

Unlucky for various reasons:
English/Boyd West Suckling Lipinski Adams Dickson Picken Jong Lynch Dale Young Wallis Dahl.

Really nobody jumps out at me for those two half forward flank roles. It speaks volumes that I have 4th gamer Green in the starting line up.

This is why we should be desperate to trade in a player like Mitch McGovern!! It’s a no brainer really. Desperately need a mature body in the forwardline - Redpath was supposed to be that man (leadership group). I would place a bet on us bringing someone in for this.

Look at Richmond.
When you think of there forward line you really just think of Jumping jack (Scache for us) and wait for it... Caddy... which happens to be my point. This is what we are missing - that second natural marking strong forward. They are targeting Lynch, in which we already have covered in a way with Boyd/English.

Your thoughts??

Last edited:
Assuming Dahlhaus goes, Wallis stays.

FB: Morris - Adams - Wood
HB: Johannisen - Naughton - Crozier
C: Hunter - Bontempelli - Macrae
HF: Wallis - Schache - Suckling
FF: Gowers - Boyd - Dickson
R: Trengove - Dunkley - McLean
I: Williams - Cordy - Daniel - Richards/Lipinski/Dale/Lynch

???: Picken, Liberatore

I think a lot are underestimating the improvement Libba will bring to the side next year. Its as good as adding pretty much anyone we could hope to actually bring in in the offseason (assuming we dont manage to snare a Gaff/Shiel/Kelly)

Obviously his ball winning/tackling will be a huge help to the likes of Bont, Macrae and McLean but even his long kicking off both feet has been badly missed this year. Huge addition. I dont really think theres too many question marks on how he'll come back, yeah sure he's more susceptible to knee injuries than your average player but whether he can recapture his form or not, I dont think that should really be a question at all.

He's a 26 year old who has literally had one poor year, pretty much every long time AFL player has had a poor year but when it comes to Libba I feel everyone seems to view it like it would be a shock if he managed to come back from it?

I think a lot are underestimating the improvement Libba will bring to the side next year. Its as good as adding pretty much anyone we could hope to actually bring in in the offseason (assuming we dont manage to snare a Gaff/Shiel/Kelly)

Obviously his ball winning/tackling will be a huge help to the likes of Bont, Macrae and McLean but even his long kicking off both feet has been badly missed this year. Huge addition. I dont really think theres too many question marks on how he'll come back, yeah sure he's more susceptible to knee injuries than your average player but whether he can recapture his form or not, I dont think that should really be a question at all.

He's a 26 year old who has literally had one poor year, pretty much every long time AFL player has had a poor year but when it comes to Libba I feel everyone seems to view it like it would be a shock if he managed to come back from it?

Agree.
Libba is a top 3 player for us (Bont, Libba & Macrae*) BUT most importantly he is the best contested ball winner we have. I hope he comes back in great shape and that he signs his contract from us ASAP.

He allows Macrae and McLean to play further outside the contest, which is a massive positive for us. Getting first use of the ball from someone with elite hands like him, is crucial in the modern game.

*Listed Alphabetically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morris Adams Wood

JJ Naughton Williams

Maclean Bont Hunter

Picken Schache Wallis

Gowers Trengove Dickson

English Libba Macrae

I:Richards, Daniel, Dunkley, Suckling

*If the likes of Honeychurch and Jong play more than 10 games between them we'll be in for another rough season

Last edited:
Personally I can’t see Libba hitting the heights of years past. His Disposal, Contested Disposal and Clearance numbers have all been on the decline since 2013. Injuries can explain a lot of it but even watching him over 2016/17 he wasn’t anywhere near the player he was in his best BnF winning, clearance beast year.
No doubt he’ll play an important role over the coming years, I just think he’s lost a lot of zip and hunger through the injuries etc. I hope I’m wrong though because 2013/14 form Libba would be great during our next flag tilt

Assuming Dahlhaus and Wallis go,

FB: Wood - Naughton - Morris
HB: Williams - Cordy - Crozier
C: Hunter - Liberatore - Johannisen
HF: Dunkley - Schache - Suckling
FF: Dickson - Boyd - Gowers
R: Trengove - Bontempelli - Macrae

IC: McLean - Richards - Daniel - Lipinski/Dale

Refuse to be seduced by Adams any longer, I have more faith in Morris reaching 300. Like Williams' touch going forward but his contested marking is too valuable to take away from our defence. Johannisen and Suckling are fairly interchangeable, I like JJ behind the ball and Suckling ahead of it but it wouldn't be like Bevo to pigeonhole either of them.

Not sure about the ground level ability of this forward line but I want us to kick goals and we look like we're building to a style of play that is going to encompass doing that, so that's fun. Onball rotation looks sexy (Libba back is farken huge) and we have a few options for outside run and class now.

Don't * up the draft, Dogs.

Would love to see Adams, Naughton, Morris and Young between them hold down key positions in defence in 2019 and beyond because I want Zaine Cordy at CHF.

Have Zaine at CHF and Schache on a HFF with Boyd at FF.

That’s a bloody tall team!

Assuming Dahlhaus goes, Wallis stays.

FB: Morris - Adams - Wood
HB: Johannisen - Naughton - Crozier
C: Hunter - Bontempelli - Macrae
HF: Wallis - Schache - Suckling
FF: Gowers - Boyd - Dickson
R: Trengove - Dunkley - McLean
I: Williams - Cordy - Daniel - Richards/Lipinski/Dale/Lynch

???: Picken, Liberatore

I just don’t see how Morris, Adams, Wood, naughton and cordy all play in the same team Dannnnnnn.

I’m keen to see Mclean spending more time forward in 2019. He is superb overhead and knows where the big sticks are, and he’s a pressure maniac.

With Dunkley emerging, Libba back and West arriving, I think it’s something Beveridge should look at.

I had Bailey Dale in my best team at the start of 2018. He was disappointing but Bevo persisted with him right up until his injury.
I think Lipinski has gone past him. And with the emergence of Richards and Lynch he is not in my best 22 now.

I just don’t see how Morris, Adams, Wood, naughton and cordy all play in the same team Dannnnnnn.

I’m keen to see Mclean spending more time forward in 2019. He is superb overhead and knows where the big sticks are, and he’s a pressure maniac.

With Dunkley emerging, Libba back and West arriving, I think it’s something Beveridge should look at.
I'm not convinced either, to be honest, but I have trouble working out the right configuration.

I think if we were to put our best team on the field in terms of winning games, Naughton would probably find himself displaced for now - but that obviously doesn't make sense given our current position. So I've tried to balance our desire to win as many games as possible with the obvious fact that we need to be building for the future - and I think using Cordy as a swingman off the bench is something that we should explore a little bit more given what we have at our disposal.

I'll also say that in its current form our game plan does not hold up with so many talls. There would need to be changes, but I think with us growing a group of capable key position players it's time this was factored in or at least explored. I don't think it's an exorbitant amount to play in a modern setup given most of them are quite athletic and multi-faceted.

I also have 0 faith in Adams and Wood staying fit so it's probably a problem we'll never need to deal with. :rainbow:

Re: McLean, I think he has the attributes to be a good forward, but I also have concerns that our current development system and personnel is/are not well suited to helping that flourish. He has turned into a terrific mid who looks more lost up forward than he did previously and I'm not seeing a lot of WB success stories to convince me that that can be reversed. Until I see signs that we know how to develop those forward skills I'm hesitant to advocate taking him out of his comfort zone.

Would love to see Adams, Naughton, Morris and Young between them hold down key positions in defence in 2019 and beyond because I want Zaine Cordy at CHF.

Have Zaine at CHF and Schache on a HFF with Boyd at FF.

If Schache and Boyd are in F50 together, the better teams will clear our defensive pressure faster than a tim tam disappears at a weight watchers convention.

FB: Crozier Trengrove Morris

Crozier has played very well - toss up with Williams who I think will end up the better player (but I reckon he will move to midfield and start the season in VFL working on this.

Trengrove - could have gone for Adams. I was happy we brought in Trengrove as we only had Young (too Young but will be good) and Fletch with the height to play on the tall power forward. But the games he has played there have been at best OK and when Adams came back Bevo put him straight back in. Problem is that he looked just as bad as Trengrove and can follow the tall forward into the Ruck. Cordy has played the best games in this position out of all three and have him as a swingman but he is 193? Outsized too often but at least has a desperation and fight above the others.

Morris....is Morris. If he is fit he plays for any team in the land on my book. Eventually if fit Adams could replace them - both are virtual body builders but chip on Adams is injuries and speed

HB: JJ Naughty Wood

JJ clearly play his best here. Would interchange with Richards. Have actually said before I like Jong here too - fast and good hands. Never really settled and I think having the game in front of him would make him. Hand height to.

Naughty is very young. We are asking a lot of him but he reads the play so well and has already played well on guns. Alternatives of Fletch (I am ok on Fletch but can’t see him in the future atm? ), Young - do see him in future just think he needs to be ie. The normal time to develop and fill out his jumper. Adams could play here also - and will at times - but just think he is a star, has already passed some an will go even further. With 10 kegs watch out.

Wood - easy selection.

C: Richards Macrae Hunter

Richards has shown skills, genuine speed and smarts through the middle and pushing forward way above his years. Dale will push him and is better than some on here seem to remember.

Macrae - second best player and arguably the most valuable given incredible consistency. Needs to be near the ball.

Hunter - star and AA level winger. I think Gaff is a cracker but if playing for anyone else we would be keen on Hunter for similar role. When I go to the game and watch him I can’t believe how much guy running he does.

R: English Bont Libba

English - is he ready? Not sure but he looks a star. Will interchange with Boyd and Trengrove so will not need to do a Max Gawn yet but can’t see him developing in the VFL as well as he could. Play him in the AFL - rest him - play him some more.

Bont- can play wherever he wants but like Fyfe he should start here.

Libba - our best contested player. This is where they go. Makes us considerably better when fit. Expect West will play games too.

HF: Picken Schache Cordy

If Picken is fit this is where he is best for us. Incredible way of both pressuring running HBFs and snagging a few himself. Interchange with Wallis who has become a proven goal kicker who recently must have a pretty good average.

Schache is on a growth curve but a good one. Ben Brown took a little while to click with Petrie etc there but over time established himself. Schache will do this too. Add a bit more power and running and he can fulfill his potential as a wide ranging CHF Quote me.

Cordy - had to fit him in as a swingman. May play here or as an extra in Defence. He is a defensive forward who plays well when here particularly contesting rather than allowing easy marks by interceptors. But he also has a knack of slipping under radars and snagging a couple. Also very mobile and mid sized. Lips ski and Dale could be picked here with good reasons just think the extra things Cordy does put him a bit above.

FF: Dickson Boyd Gowers

Dickson - clearly our best forward (putting Bont in mid). Tackles - executes with confidence and is one of the very few with leading patterns that work. This opens the play for others. Fergus showed some really promising signs and can eventually pass him. Dale maybe too but not yet the tackling.

Boyd - many have gone off him. I haven’t. Fit he will get 2-3 and if he gets continuity mostly forward will do better than that. Injuries have hurt him this year. Not just above the shoulders. We will come back stronger and faster with a bit of confidence and be a good target and back up ruck. He need angry pills - I would be happy if he copped a could of suspensions but these were on the back of aggressive sometime reckless attacks. Even so he is not easily marked against and should develop a better way of getting the ball to ground in front of him.

Gowers has been a revelation hasn’t he? Who would of expected. He is great near Boyd and provides a strong most aggressive threat. No finesse but can easily get to 2 per game that outs him in a great position. Also has a great tank and can move up and down the song and do some damage.

These three running together could click well and work to spread the forward line rather than sit and wait forwards who want to out make opponents but get ganged up on.

In: McLean, Dunkley, Wallis, Daniel

These have been our best four other players and will rotate comfortably. Suckling adds something here but not sure about dropping in this for him. Despite this I was very against hi. Last year - errors didn’t cancel the brilliance but earlier this year he was very consistent. Hard working and courageous.

Unlucky but next in line: Williams, Suckling, Adams.

Williams was a really hard one. I am a big fan and toss of the coin for Crozier just pipped on speed.

Assumed Roughead and Dahl leave but Wallis stays.

Campbell delisted - possibly Fletch. Red and Biggs gone. So at least 6 gone.

So also missed out: Jong, Porter, Young, Green, Honey, and new kids No7, West. khamis and some FA’s and VFL mature heads and bodies. Agree Mitch McGov would be good.

Gotta be honest, I'm just not seeing it with Lipinski. Always seems to take the first option, lots of hospitable handballs, turns it over a lot. For a bloke without much contested game he just does not use the footy well. Seems to have decent skills though so just needs to get his decision making right.

B. Cordy. Adams. Crozier
HB. JJ. Naughton. Richards
C. Hunter Libber. Macrae
Hf. Maclean. Schache. Williams
F. English. Boyd. Gowers

R. Trengove Dunkley. Bont

IC. Daniel Dahl. Wallis. Wood. Morris Greene. Lipinski. Picken. Dale. Lynch. Suckling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back