Opinion 2019 lineup

Antares

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tom Boyd should not be starting. Trengove performed far better in the ruck last year and English is at the point where he needs games.

If Boyd wants to play, he should be dominating the VFL at full-forward. No more of this ruck business, he's statistically among the worst ruckmen in the AFL.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tom Boyd should not be starting. Trengove performed far better in the ruck last year and English is at the point where he needs games.

If Boyd wants to play, he should be dominating the VFL at full-forward. No more of this ruck business, he's statistically among the worst ruckmen in the AFL.
Disagree
His still sadly our best Ruck man

Antares

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Disagree
His still sadly our best Ruck man
?
When Trengove went into the ruck in the last 5 games, he averaged more hitouts, disposals and goals than Boyd did for the year. He proved himself a pretty solid ruck at Port the year Paddy Ryder went down too. I know who I'd rather have rucking, although it's a bit of a shame because Trengove came here to play defence.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
B: Wood Cordy Morris
HB: Wallis Naughton Richards
C: Johannissn Macrae Hunter
HF: Suckling Schache Crozier
F: Gowers Boyd Cavarra
R: Trengove Bontempelli Liberatore
Bench : Smith Dunkley Williams McLean

Notes: still don’t think English is ready. I’m not sure if Picken makes it back. Not sure if I can put Caleb in front of anyone there. Possibly Wallis. He’s a better kick than Wal, but Wal is far more accountable defensively. With a well stocked midfield brigade, and Wal being an effective tagger at times in his career, I’d like him to take up the role off half back that Matty Boyd had under Bevo.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
AFL
FB: D. Morris - A. Naughton - T. Duryea
HB: J. Johannisen - E. Wood - B. Williams
C: L. Hunter - M. Bontempelli - M. Suckling
HF: S. Lloyd - J. Schache - E. Richards
FF: B. Gowers - T. Boyd - B. Cavarra

R: J. Trengove - J. Dunkley - J. Macrae

I: M. Wallis - T. McLean - Z. Cordy - H. Crozier

VFL
FB: R. Smith - F. Roberts - B. Khamis
HB: B. Lynch - Le. Young - La. Young
C: P. Lipinski - B. Smith - W. Hayes
HF: B. Dale - F. Greene - C. Daniel
FF: L. Picken - J. Sweet - T. Dickson

R: T. English - T. Liberatore - R. West

I: L. Jong - L. Vandermeer - L. Webb - C. Porter

Notable omissions:
- Caleb Daniel. Amazing form at the end of the year as a half-back, but I don't see this being his home. He played there to finish the year as many of our other high defenders played in the forward half given our dearth of forwards. With (hopefully) a little bit of luck with injury, and the inclusion of a couple of ready-made natural forwards, I don't think this happens this year - and I think others outperform him at half back. Unfortunately, Daniel's form in his more traditional role in 2018 was quite poor, and does not leave me convinced that he will play that role moving forward. Further, in a quest for more goal kicking power, he makes way for players that I see as being a little bit more damaging around goal. However, I have no doubt he plays a large number of games next year and presents as wonderful depth across numerous positions. The likes of Johannisen, Suckling, Lloyd, Richards and Cavarra will need to fight him off.
- Liberatore. Put simply, it's been too long and too significant of an injury for me to slot him straight back in. Bontempelli, Macrae and Dunkley is a good combination inside the contest and Liberatore is limited by a lack of versatility, meaning that the likes of Lloyd, McLean and Wallis beat him out for the second mid rotation as they can impact elsewhere. However, Libba is obviously a better player than these, and will find his way in all things going well. There just isn't enough of an evidence base for me to put him in right now.
- Greene. Wanted him in. Tried really hard. He'll play plenty of games. Comfortable with him spending a little bit more time developing in the VFL, though Lloyd, Cavarra, Dickson, West and Greene will likely cycle through on form as the year progresses.
- Dickson. Just don't have faith in his body. Can still play (still one of our better forwards), but has lost a yard and a bit of the pressure and consistency that made him so good. Will play plenty of AFL next year but he's not in my starting side.
- English. He'll displace Trengove/Boyd at times, no doubt. At this point I think Trengove is a marginally more consistent contributor in the ruck, and Boyd a slightly better option up forward, though.
- Lipinski. He's close. Show me some consistency, Lippy.
- Lynch. I don't rate him. He's not in the conversation.

Notable inclusions:
- Duryea. A whipping boy at Hawthorn, he's no world-beater, and given our stock of smaller defenders I understand many leaving him out. Duryea's point of difference, however, is his experience and ability to defend a man, both of which are critical for us at this stage. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts and I think Duryea slots in and helps our team, even if his stats don't suggest it.
- Suckling. Unabashed fan of Suckers and I'm sure there'll be many who disagree with his inclusion. In short, we really lack natural outside midfielders who can consistently win the ball and contribute and Suckling is one of the few guys I'm confident in doing so. Has his flaws, but has strengths that we don't have. Will find his position under threat at stages but he holds it down for now.
- Lloyd. Could easily have had Greene, Dickson, Dale or Daniel here, for sure, but I like Lloyd's mix of attributes. Quick, strong in the contest, kicks goals and applies pressure. Happy to give him first look, but as previously mentioned, our smalls will cycle through 'til one sticks.
- Richards. I've named him forward for some speed and pressure but he'll play as a genuine utility.
- Cavarra. Haven't seen a huge amount of him, but is a much more proven goal-kicker in the lower league than any of our other options. Quick, agile, tackles, kicks goals. He gets first go.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
AFL

VFL

Notable omissions:
- Caleb Daniel. Amazing form at the end of the year as a half-back, but I don't see this being his home. He played there to finish the year as many of our other high defenders played in the forward half given our dearth of forwards. With (hopefully) a little bit of luck with injury, and the inclusion of a couple of ready-made natural forwards, I don't think this happens this year - and I think others outperform him at half back. Unfortunately, Daniel's form in his more traditional role in 2018 was quite poor, and does not leave me convinced that he will play that role moving forward. Further, in a quest for more goal kicking power, he makes way for players that I see as being a little bit more damaging around goal. However, I have no doubt he plays a large number of games next year and presents as wonderful depth across numerous positions. The likes of Johannisen, Suckling, Lloyd, Richards and Cavarra will need to fight him off.
- Liberatore. Put simply, it's been too long and too significant of an injury for me to slot him straight back in. Bontempelli, Macrae and Dunkley is a good combination inside the contest and Liberatore is limited by a lack of versatility, meaning that the likes of Lloyd, McLean and Wallis beat him out for the second mid rotation as they can impact elsewhere. However, Libba is obviously a better player than these, and will find his way in all things going well. There just isn't enough of an evidence base for me to put him in right now.
- Greene. Wanted him in. Tried really hard. He'll play plenty of games. Comfortable with him spending a little bit more time developing in the VFL, though Lloyd, Cavarra, Dickson, West and Greene will likely cycle through on form as the year progresses.
- Dickson. Just don't have faith in his body. Can still play (still one of our better forwards), but has lost a yard and a bit of the pressure and consistency that made him so good. Will play plenty of AFL next year but he's not in my starting side.
- English. He'll displace Trengove/Boyd at times, no doubt. At this point I think Trengove is a marginally more consistent contributor in the ruck, and Boyd a slightly better option up forward, though.

Notable inclusions:
- Duryea. A whipping boy at Hawthorn, he's no world-beater, and given our stock of smaller defenders I understand many leaving him out. Duryea's point of difference, however, is his experience and ability to defend a man, both of which are critical for us at this stage. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts and I think Duryea slots in and helps our team, even if his stats don't suggest it.
- Suckling. Unabashed fan of Suckers and I'm sure there'll be many who disagree with his inclusion. In short, we really lack natural outside midfielders who can consistently win the ball and contribute and Suckling is one of the few guys I'm confident in doing so. Has his flaws, but has strengths that we don't have. Will find his position under threat at stages but he holds it down for now.
- Lloyd. Could easily have had Greene, Dickson, Dale or Daniel here, for sure, but I like Lloyd's mix of attributes. Quick, strong in the contest, kicks goals and applies pressure. Happy to give him first look, but as previously mentioned, our smalls will cycle through 'til one sticks.
- Richards. I've named him forward for some speed and pressure but he'll play as a genuine utility.
- Cavarra. Haven't seen a huge amount of him, but is a much more proven goal-kicker in the lower league than any of our other options. Quick, agile, tackles, kicks goals. He gets first go.

If Libba is fit he plays simple as that

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
If Libba is fit he plays simple as that
Pretty big 'if' when we're talking about a guy coming back from his second ACL though MD. His form was indifferent for quite some time after his first and the second one can knock a player around for longer. Smith's second one took him a while, for example, and he had a very clear secondary position which Libba doesn't have.

I've no doubt he does play, and he's clearly in our best team in a best case scenario. I worry about what kind of form he'll come back with, and how he contends with the injury in a very aggressive role, though. Just not enough of an evidence base there yet to know how he'll slot back in.

Pretty big 'if' when we're talking about a guy coming back from his second ACL though MD. His form was indifferent for quite some time after his first and the second one can knock a player around for longer. Smith's second one took him a while, for example, and he had a very clear secondary position which Libba doesn't have.

I've no doubt he does play, and he's clearly in our best team in a best case scenario. I worry about what kind of form he'll come back with, and how he contends with the injury in a very aggressive role, though. Just not enough of an evidence base there yet to know how he'll slot back in.

Libba is at the end of the day his fathers son and I fully expect the same Libba to emerge on field if he has his off field situation in order.

Antares

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
AFL

VFL

Notable omissions:

Notable inclusions:
You do realize the VFL team will be filled with non-AFL listed players? They'll make up around half the team like they always do.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Round 1 side vs Sydney:

B: Morris Naughton Wood
HB: Daniel Cordy JJ
C: Richards Bontempelli Hunter
HF: Wallis Schache McLean
F: Cavarra Boyd Lloyd
R: Trengove Macrae Liberatore
Int: Dunkley Crozier Lipinski Williams

Picken (unknown return for now)

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wood - Naughton - Morris
Johannisen - Cordy - Crozier
Hunter - Bontempelli - Richards
McLean - Schache - Wallis
Gowers - Boyd - Lloyd
Trengove - Macrae - Liberatore

Suckling - Daniel - Dunkley - Williams

Smith - Dickson - Cavarra

*not including Picken.

Think for once we have some depth up forward. While they may not be stars I think Lloyd, Dickson, Wallis, Gowers and Cavarra can all kick 25+ goals as mediums if they play enough games. Would love to see McLean play more up froward with Lib back.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Bailey Smith play from the get go but can’t get him in until he plays pre season games.

I think we’re in big trouble if Naughton or Cordy go down.

I think that’s as good as any team outside of Melb/Richmond/Eagles/Bombers/Pies as a whole. Certainly think we’ve gotten better on paper but getting younger might delay finals by a year.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You do realize the VFL team will be filled with non-AFL listed players? They'll make up around half the team like they always do.
An AFL list is 44 players. In the perfect world the VFL team would be made up entirely of AFL listed players.

Obviously that's never going to happen due to injuries and in some cases a non-playing emergency, but for the purpose of this exercise (particularly with no confirmed outs for round 1, although Picken and Webb are likely) the VFL listed players aren't at all relevant.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Of course, but that's only through availability. With a full list (which never happens) you have the numbers to fill two teams. It's more intended as a reflection of who is the backup in each area of the ground than an actual representation of the Footscray team.

Libba is at the end of the day his fathers son and I fully expect the same Libba to emerge on field if he has his off field situation in order.
His form the first time he rehabilitated his knee didn't demonstrate that he was his father's son.

I'm not trying to be deliberately negative here and don't get me wrong I sincerely hope he kills it, as he's a very valuable player. I just don't see enough evidence indicating that he will do so straight off the bat though. A reference to what his father did isn't really enough for me.

Of course, but that's only through availability. With a full list (which never happens) you have the numbers to fill two teams. It's more intended as a reflection of who is the backup in each area of the ground than an actual representation of the Footscray team.

His form the first time he rehabilitated his knee didn't demonstrate that he was his father's son.

I'm not trying to be deliberately negative here and don't get me wrong I sincerely hope he kills it, as he's a very valuable player. I just don't see enough evidence indicating that he will do so straight off the bat though. A reference to what his father did isn't really enough for me.

Listen to your heart Dan.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FB Wood Cordy Morris

HB JJ Naughton Williams

C Hunter Macrae Richards

HF Dunkley Schache McLean

FF Gowers English West

R Trengove Bont Libba

Int Daniel Crozier Dickson Picken

I’d be stoked if we lined up like this come Rd1.

Dunkley, McLean, Bont, Libba, Macrae rotating Mid/Fwd.

Plenty of run off HB with JJ and Williams.

Daniel rotates down back in the role he starred in late season.

I’m a fan of Boyd but Trengove gets the ruck gig until he shows more early season form in the VFL.

Absolutely all in on English playing Fwd/Ruck with Trenners. Can’t wait to see what he does this season.
The same goes with Dunks and McLean, can see them building on last years form.

West is in the squad but toss up between he and Wallis.

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wood Cordy Young

JJ Naughton Daniel

Smith Macrae Hunter

Richards Schache Greene

Gowers Boyd Cavarra

English Bont Libba

Wallis Williams West Dunkley

If we are moving forward that's the team.
Morris was showing slowing signs this year.
Better giving games to Young or Khanis.
English must be backed otherwise they'll
Come knocking
West and Smith have the talent we desire.
Like English just play them.
Thats how we move forward .
Throw caution to the wind like 2015
Forget the comfort zones.
Not sold on any of the cast offs.
Cavarra must start ,the dynamic we have
Long desired.
Daniel is the quarter back and should play
HBF.
Boyd like English must be backed at FF.
Hopefully Libbas ready to go.

Last edited:
FB Wood Naughton Morris
HB Johannisen Cordy Williams
C Hunter Bontempelli Macrae
HF Smith Schache McLean
FF Lloyd Boyd Gowers
R Trengove Dunkley Liberatore
Int Suckling Crozier Wallis Daniel

Emergencies are English, Richards, Duryea, and Cavarra.
English and Richards I expect to work their way in. Wait and see on Picken and Dickson. Wanted to put Cavarra in but went with Lloyd instead for the senior experience. Smith I think is a lock to play every game injury allows this year. Doesn't have to start in the middle, can play on a flank until he cracks it.

Last edited:

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FB Wood Naughton Morris
HB JJ Cordy Daniel
C Hunter Bontempelli Macrae
HF Richards Schache McLean
FF Lloyd Boyd Gowers
R English Dunkley Liberatore
Int Picken (Williams if Picken is still out) Crozier Wallis Trengove

Emergencies Williams, Smith, Suckling, Lynch

For mine, Boyd has to play and English needs every opportunity to get games into him. Lynch v Wallis is a toss of the coin.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
?
When Trengove went into the ruck in the last 5 games, he averaged more hitouts, disposals and goals than Boyd did for the year. He proved himself a pretty solid ruck at Port the year Paddy Ryder went down too. I know who I'd rather have rucking, although it's a bit of a shame because Trengove came here to play defence.
Not a lot in it
Our side was playing better which helps too

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The awesome thing is almost every team named looks relatively great. Sign we've done well in trades/drafts. List is much more balanced and competition for every spot.

A lot of harsh markers seem to ignore we can only make trades that other teams and players are willing to accept. Fantasy trades were probably never an option.

Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wood Cordy Young

JJ Naughton Daniel

Smith Macrae Hunter

Richards Schache Greene

Gowers Boyd Cavarra

English Bont Libba

Wallis Williams West Dunkley

If we are moving forward that's the team.
Morris was showing slowing signs this year.
Better giving games to Young or Khanis.
English must be backed otherwise they'll
Come knocking
West and Smith have the talent we desire.
Like English just play them.
Thats how we move forward .
Throw caution to the wind like 2015
Forget the comfort zones.
Not sold on any of the cast offs.
Cavarra must start ,the dynamic we have
Long desired.
Daniel is the quarter back and should play
HBF.
Boyd like English must be backed at FF.
Hopefully Libbas ready to go.
Love that team, but crozier has to get a run. I thought he was easily in our top 3 players from the half way point last year

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FB - Crozier Trengrove Morris
HB - JJ Naughton Wood

C - Hunter Macrae Richards
R - English Bonti Libba

HF - Greene Schache Lloyd
FF - Dickson Boyd Gowers

Int: Dunkley Wallis McLean Daniel

Assumptions: