Opinion 2019 lineup

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiers and Double Figure Goal Kickers (The Relationship)

2009: Geelong 12 x double figure goal kickers = 324 Goals.
2010: Collingwood: 14 x double figure goal kickers = 333 Goals.
2011: Geelong 14 x double figure goal kickers = 366 Goals.
2012: Sydney 13 x double figure goal kickers = 319 Goals.
2013: Hawthorn 13 x double figure goal kickers = 365 Goals.
2014: Hawthorn 12 x double figure goal kickers = 341 Goals
2015: Hawthorn 14 x double figure goal kickers = 369 Goals.
2016: Western Bulldogs 13 x double figure goal kickers = 249 Goals.
2017: Richmond 12 x double figure goal kickers = 276 Goals.
2018: West Coast 11 x double figure goal kickers = 268 Goals.

2018: Western Bulldogs 7 x double figure goal kickers = 119 Goals.
Gowers: 26
Bontempelli: 22
Wallis: 20
Schache: 17
Lipinski: 12
McLean: 11
Dunkley: 11

Hope nobody is eating lunch when they digest this statistical s**t sandwich,
hope those closed sessions are working magic because I can't figure out
what they could possibly be working on for the life of me.

Some of the teams on here seriously have us bottom 4 and closer to bottom 2. Sliding blokes around to possies they don’t play on so you an put your favs in isnt how footy works.

A forward line of KPS Schache and English is so bad it hurts my eyes.

The bias not having Lloyd or Duryea even close to the team is baffling.

We finished 13th for a reason they are both walk ups of fit.

What is baffling is that you think two rejects from other clubs will be walk-up starts, especially Duryea who was pretty much done at the hawks, and who needs to compete with at least two or more of the following for a spot:

Williams
Crozier
Suckling
Wood
JJ
R.Smith
Lynch
Hunter
Daniel
Richards
Porter (?)
Vandermere (?)

The criteria for this list is players under 190cm who do spend or could spend much of their time in the back half.

In short, he'd have to be tearing it up to get anywhere near a game.

What is baffling is that you think two rejects from other clubs will be walk-up starts, especially Duryea who was pretty much done at the hawks, and who needs to compete with at least two or more of the following for a spot:

Williams
Crozier
Suckling
Wood
JJ
R.Smith
Lynch
Hunter
Daniel
Richards
Porter (?)
Vandermere (?)

The criteria for this list is players under 190cm who do spend or could spend much of their time in the back half.

He doesn’t rate most of our list yet rates Duryea and Lloyd. MD is quiet possibly the single worst judge on WB BF.

Williams
Crozier
Suckling
Wood
JJ
R.Smith
Lynch
Hunter
Daniel
Richards
Porter (?)
Vandermere (?)

But surely we wouldn't have traded pick 64 for Lloyd and a future fourth for Duryea unless they were best 22 locks! Surely we wouldn't trade such high value assets for players who might just be handy mature depth! /s

Williams
Crozier
Suckling
Wood
JJ
R.Smith
Lynch
Hunter
Daniel
Richards
Porter (?)
Vandermere (?)

Let's shed this list of the unnecessarily listed non-entities to start: if we're going off of impact/ability, frankly, Smith, Lynch, Porter and Vandermeer are further away from a game than Duryea is. Then we'll omit Richards, who is training with the forwards, and Hunter, who very clearly plays almost solely wing/HF, leaving us with this much smaller list:
Williams
Crozier
Suckling
Wood
JJ
Daniel

Of these, Williams began spending a lot more of his time in the midfield last season, and who knows where Suckling and JJ (who is currently injured) play. Suckling and Wood both have quite extensive injury histories, too.

I don't think Duryea is a guarantee to be playing but I don't agree that your list is as impenetrable as has been made out. Duryea can and will play a large amount of games for us and was brought in to do so in my opinion. His skill set is quite different to many of those listed as well.

Let's shed this list of the unnecessarily listed non-entities to start: if we're going off of impact/ability, frankly, Smith, Lynch, Porter and Vandermeer are further away from a game than Duryea is. Then we'll omit Richards, who is training with the forwards, and Hunter, who very clearly plays almost solely wing/HF, leaving us with this much smaller list:
Williams
Crozier
Suckling
Wood
JJ
Daniel

Of these, Williams began spending a lot more of his time in the midfield last season, and who knows where Suckling and JJ (who is currently injured) play. Suckling and Wood both have quite extensive injury histories, too.

I don't think Duryea is a guarantee to be playing but I don't agree that your list is as impenetrable as has been made out. Duryea can and will play a large amount of games for us and was brought in to do so in my opinion. His skill set is quite different to many of those listed as well.
While I agree with that, I do think Lynch is rated more highly internally than externally given he's the best kick on our list (not my words) and is super quick, plus takes the game on.
With JJ out he's a legitimate chance for round 1.
I have Lloyd as a lock and Duryea probably plays round 1 too.

While I agree with that, I do think Lynch is rated more highly internally than externally given he's the best kick on our list (not my words) and is super quick, plus takes the game on.
As you said, Lynch is super quick. There's been plenty of murmurings about our game plan transitioning towards involving a lot more speed (hence why we drafted Hayes, Smith, Vandermeer and Cavarra who were among the quickest in the draft) so I just don't see how a fit Lynch doesn't play.

One of the more creative types on the list, extremely fast, and has potential to become a real game winner with some x-factor (something we were hoping to get from Wingard). In saying that, not sure he's definitely on the back flank - I could see him up on the half forward flank

Whilst I agree that he's rated higher internally than by me, the coaching staff appeared to be actively taking him out of the backline whenever opponents started to get momentum. I think if we're looking for a more balanced, better performing team this year (and with a few guys back from injury) he finds himself a bit further back in the pegging order - at least as a defender. If he's playing in other parts of the ground he's not relevant to the above discussion.

Of course, this is assuming he's the same player as he was last year. I have no evidence to suggest he is or isn't.

It will be interesting to see how teams structure forward lines given the new 6-6-6 rules. Most seem to think there will be something of a resurgence of the power forward and more big marking contests, but with a heap of space in front of them, I wonder if a hard running, hard leading front 6 could be effective and catch a few defences out.

Rather than a key marking target or 2, 6 mobile targets each creating space amd chaos, but who are all capable overhead

We might be working toward a R1 forward line something like:

Wallis-Schache-Lloyd
Greene-Dale-Gowers

With Bont, Dunkley, McLean, Williams, Libba rotating through and Dickson, Cavarra, Lipinski, Richards, Lynch, Smith, West, Jong etc as options.

Just a thought that with a run and gun style, the new rules could work to advantage.

I could even see English going forward in such a structure, at this stage he would probably work better as a mobile hard running forward than as a traditional 'power' forward.

I think there may have been a fair amount of exaggeration used in that movie and it attributed results to Forrest Gump that he did not achieve. I have researched the games records from the time and Gump scored squat!
Gump's metres gained is the second highest of all time, behind Johannisen.

Williams
Crozier
Suckling
Wood
JJ
R.Smith
Lynch
Hunter
Daniel
Richards
Porter (?)
Vandermere (?)

What is baffling is that it is I rrelevant what we think and I never said 3/4 of what you are intimating I did but that’s general for this joint.

Bev and the MC bought these guys to the club for a reason. ThEy have backed in every other player they have bought in like that so why would these 2 be different?

Lloyd couldn’t get a game in a Flag team and Duryea player under Clarkson most weeks so how are they rejects?? Played 17 games last year including the final HAHAHAHAHA some reject

Lol and we finished 13th and will finish lower this year.

Seriously the list over estimation in here is a joke. Nearly every measurable point rates is bottom 4-6. I don’t think Lloyd or Duryea are great but both add something we don’t have and are better than half the players you listed.

Last edited:
Williams
Crozier
Suckling
Wood
JJ
Daniel

Stop making sense, you'll just set the lunatic fringe off.

Williams
Crozier
Suckling
Wood
JJ
Daniel

But you can’t do that because everyone on our list is better than anyone else and it’s only due to no luck we aren’t going for a 4th flag in a row

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While not necessarily the most depth, I think some could agree that we have the most EVEN list in the competition, that's why it is so hard to pick best 22s. This doesn't mean we have great depth, it just means the next man in is, give or take a bit, almost the same quality as the man that came out. Whether that be good or bad is another question.

In terms of small defenders we don't have a lot of options. Morris, R. Smith, and now Duryea. Morris was quite often put on the smalls (e.g. Gray, Breust) and only because no one else was up to the job of shutting them down. Once Moz leaves do we rely on Smith to do that? No offense to the young man but he's not quite up to it yet. Duryea maybe wasn't brought in to play from round 1 but I'm sure if Morris is injured or when he eventually retires Duryea takes over. He has fairly important place in the future of our backline.

In terms of small defenders we don't have a lot of options. Morris, R. Smith, and now Duryea. Morris was quite often put on the smalls (e.g. Gray, Breust) and only because no one else was up to the job of shutting them down. Once Moz leaves do we rely on Smith to do that? No offense to the young man but he's not quite up to it yet. Duryea maybe wasn't brought in to play from round 1 but I'm sure if Morris is injured or when he eventually retires Duryea takes over. He has fairly important place in the future of our backline.

Crozier, JJ, Suckling, Daniel, Wood, Lynch are all ahead of Rourke Smith.

Last edited:
What is baffling is that it is I rrelevant what we think and I never said 3/4 of what you are intimating I did but that’s general for this joint.

Bev and the MC bought these guys to the club for a reason. ThEy have backed in every other player they have bought in like that so why would these 2 be different?

Lloyd couldn’t get a game in a Flag team and Duryea player under Clarkson most weeks so how are they rejects?? Played 17 games last year including the final HAHAHAHAHA some reject

Lol and we finished 13th and will finish lower this year.

Seriously the list over estimation in here is a joke. Nearly every measurable point rates is bottom 4-6. I don’t think Lloyd or Duryea are great but both add something we don’t have and are better than half the players you listed.

I never said Duryea was better or worse than anyone on that list, just that he had to compete with them for a spot (ok so I called him a reject but that's my opinion - you have some of your own I believe...)

But as you said misinterpreting posts is 'general for this joint'.

A lot of people here show faith in the club, maybe too much. You're the exact opposite but somehow that's ok? LOL.

<insert antagonistic response just for the sake of it here>

I never said Duryea was better or worse than anyone on that list, just that he had to compete with them for a spot (ok so I called him a reject but that's my opinion - you have some of your own I believe...)

But as you said misinterpreting posts is 'general for this joint'.

A lot of people here show faith in the club, maybe too much. You're the exact opposite but somehow that's ok? LOL.

<insert antagonistic response just for the sake of it here>

Wait a minute

I’m backing what the coaching stafff to be consistent and continue to do what they have done since they started.

And I’m also pointing out we have been very ordinary the last two years so the blokes you and others keep talking up probably aren’t the solution, in fact they are part of the reason we have been poor.

But that’s ok you let blind optimism be your the judge over reality.

I’ve also said our list apart from forwards is in a great spot and will improve if we can nab a KPF but until then It will be a slog

Somost of why you said was wrong, others have also pointed that out but now you come back at me coz I’m an easy target but that’s BF for u.

I just read Jordan Sweet's bio on the Dogs Website and it says that he plays ruck/forward..
Maybe he could be the answer to our foward line woes - from his highlights we can all see he's got the aggression needed to impose himself on a contest so why not forward.

Here's the writeup:
South Australian product Jordon Sweet made his way to Victoria University Whitten Oval via pick 23 in the 2018 NAB AFL Rookie Draft.
The crafty ruckman had a terrific season for North Adelaide in state league competition, culminating in being a member of the Rooster's SANFL premiership side.
Sweet is competitive and versatile, and can alternate between the ruck and a key forward post.
He has excellent disposal by foot and plays with strong physicality.

I just read Jordan Sweet's bio on the Dogs Website and it says that he plays ruck/forward..
Maybe he could be the answer to our foward line woes - from his highlights we can all see he's got the aggression needed to impose himself on a contest so why not forward.

Here's the writeup:
South Australian product Jordon Sweet made his way to Victoria University Whitten Oval via pick 23 in the 2018 NAB AFL Rookie Draft.
The crafty ruckman had a terrific season for North Adelaide in state league competition, culminating in being a member of the Rooster's SANFL premiership side.
Sweet is competitive and versatile, and can alternate between the ruck and a key forward post.
He has excellent disposal by foot and plays with strong physicality.
If he played even at the level of Lobb/Vardy, I'd be ecstatic. I'm not expecting him to be the next Max Gawn in the ruck or Josh Kennedy up forward, but having a consistent and imposing figure rotating through our ruck and forward line could make a world of difference. I'm actually quite excited to see how Sweet goes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back