Opinion 2019 lineup

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not much and not much

Was a bit shattered to hear Bob Murphy describe Josh as a tall HFF...fingers crossed on him as the KPF cupboard is pretty much bare.

Reckon we wiĺl see Bont playing fwd morethan we'd prefer.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
The more I think about Bont permanent forward the more I like it. Bob Murphy said exactly what I have been thinking for a long time. We need some leadership in our forward 50. The thing about big KPFs is that when they are on, they arent just kicking goals but they bring their team mates into the game as well. I remember Bolton saying in a post game interview once that when your big blokes are going well its a big morale boost for the whole team. We desperately need that. Bont going forward and clunking some big marks will make the blokes around him stand a bit taller too.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The more I think about Bont permanent forward the more I like it. Bob Murphy said exactly what I have been thinking for a long time. We need some leadership in our forward 50. The thing about big KPFs is that when they are on, they arent just kicking goals but they bring their team mates into the game as well. I remember Bolton saying in a post game interview once that when your big blokes are going well its a big morale boost for the whole team. We desperately need that. Bont going forward and clunking some big marks will make the blokes around him stand a bit taller too.
Too bad hes completely lost the ability to kick a set shot for some reason, hes not even great around goals in general anymore. 2015/16 bont hit 80% of chances off either boot up to about 60 out :( cant remember the last time he hit one from outside 50 tbh.

But im starting to agree a bit, midfield really is stacked and it gives us the chance to play Williams/Mclean through there a bit more to add a bit more psce

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It also means Dunkley won't be played forward thank God. We have this guy who started looking like the second coming of Josh Kennedy in the midfield, and for some reason he plays up forward again in JLT1. Bont up forward means Dunkley is permanent mid which helps balance out the team a lot. We have less need for Bont when Libba and Dunkley are playing through the middle, and he showed the damage he could do up forward in the St Kilda game last year. And that's before even mentioning the difference it could make having our vice captain up forward instead of a bunch of children. Wallis + Bont is far better leadership than what we had last year

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Only problem with Bont playing forward is it kills any chance of a quick deep F50 entry. The majority of our mids lack any sort of penetration with their kicking.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Only problem with Bont playing forward is it kills any chance of a quick deep F50 entry. The majority of our mids lack any sort of penetration with their kicking.
The problem I see is that even with Bonts kicking in the midfield, our forwards do nothing to convert into a score. With Libba back he's a very good kick so it fixes that up slightly, but there's really no perfect solution in front of us

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was a bit shattered to hear Bob Murphy describe Josh as a tall HFF...fingers crossed on him as the KPF cupboard is pretty much bare.

Reckon we wiĺl see Bont playing fwd morethan we'd prefer.

He’s still a kid. Chris Grant in 1992 was a tall forward flanker when DelRe was FF and Glen Coleman CHF. True we don’t have a DelRe or Coleman in 2019 but Grant wasn’t the barrel chested Brownlow CHF from 1997- in his first few years. Still hold hopes for Schache building his body up. He’s not Jarrad Spindleshanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He’s still a kid. Chris Grant in 1992 was a tall forward flanker when DelRe was FF and Glen Coleman CHF. True we don’t have a DelRe or Coleman in 2019 but Grant wasn’t the barrel chested Brownlow CHF from 1997- in his first few years. Still hold hopes for Schache building his body up. He’s not Jarrad Spindleshanks!

Tell me you didn’t just compare Schache to Turtle?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What part of that entire post made you think a comparison was being drawn? Looks like mcgleereturns is just saying there's a precedent set with Chris Grant, so it's not like it's out of the question for Schache to move in a similar direction

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Did not compare Schache to Turtle at all. He’s no Grant, the 17 yo who kicked 50 in his first year. Never expect Schache to get close to Grant. All I was commenting on was Murph saying he’s a tall flanker, which Grant was in 92 but then got bigger and became a true KPF. Things can change and Schache may be no good and I certainly don’t see him as Turtle level in any way but I think it’s too early to write him off completely. In a couple of years if no progress in the physical front or output then I’ll sit at the bar with MD having a whinge about another failed key forward at Whitten Oval. But I’ll give him more time to prove otherwise.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What part of that entire post made you think a comparison was being drawn? Looks like mcgleereturns is just saying there's a precedent set with Chris Grant, so it's not like it's out of the question for Schache to move in a similar direction

I cannot see how he didn’t compare the two or have I just unlearnt the English language?

And it’s completley out of the question for Scache to be even a tenth of what Grant was.

Scahache will be Jarryd Grant mark 2

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Did not compare Schache to Turtle at all. He’s no Grant, the 17 yo who kicked 50 in his first year. Never expect Schache to get close to Grant. All I was commenting on was Murph saying he’s a tall flanker, which Grant was in 92 but then got bigger and became a true KPF. Things can change and Schache may be no good and I certainly don’t see him as Turtle level in any way but I think it’s too early to write him off completely. In a couple of years if no progress in the physical front or output then I’ll sit at the bar with MD having a whinge about another failed key forward at Whitten Oval. But I’ll give him more time to prove otherwise.

Fair enough but I’ve seen enough myself to believe he is a bust. 3rd forward option at best. Next year we must chase a KPF maybe even two

If he plays this year he will be out number one target and have the main backman each week. I’m tipping full backs will be licking their lips at a week playing on Josh.

I expect Cordy to be our big forward target by round 6

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I cannot see how he didn’t compare the two or have I just unlearnt the English language?

And it’s completley out of the question for Scache to be even a tenth of what Grant was.

Scahache will be Jarryd Grant mark 2
Directly quote where they were compared, because I don't see it.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Or he just didn't and you can't admit it

I was trying to be polite but ok

If you aren’t intelligent enough to see that he did compare them perhaps just give up.

He mentioned Grant playing the same role and then his growth then said Josh could do the same

If you honestly can’t see that comparison I cannot help you.

So are you big enough to admit you are wrong?

Doubt it

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was trying to be polite but ok

If you aren’t intelligent enough to see that he did compare them perhaps just give up.

He mentioned Grant playing the same role and then his growth then said Josh could do the same

If you honestly can’t see that comparison I cannot help you.

So are you big enough to admit you are wrong?

Doubt it
"Still hold hopes for Schache building his body up"

That was the statement made. How is that comparing to Grant?

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
Bont would easily be our best forward if played there. But would our midfield scare anyone else's without him there. As good as we think a midfield of Macrae, Libba, Mclean, Dunkley etc is, at least half of the comp can pretty easily match them. Bont in the middle puts them on another level.

When Boyd is back he and Schache should be playing every minute possible together in the forward line. We need to find out asap if they are our long term future in the F50, otherwise move on quickly.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Bont would easily be our best forward if played there. But would our midfield scare anyone else's without him there. As good as we think a midfield of Macrae, Libba, Mclean, Dunkley etc is, at least half of the comp can pretty easily match them. Bont in the middle puts them on another level.

When Boyd is back he and Schache should be playing every minute possible together in the forward line. We need to find out asap if they are our long term future in the F50, otherwise move on quickly.

We have known for a long time that Boyd isn’t part of our future. Schache we are already playing every game in the forward line since midway through last year.

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I've always been against taking Bont out of the middle too much, but there is a decent case made there Scrag. Especially if the hip issues are significant/ongoing (no idea either way) then this would keep him on the park longer. And could still do spells in the middle if they were struggling. But if his body is no concern I still think I want him in the guts mostly.

I've always been against taking Bont out of the middle too much, but there is a decent case made there Scrag. Especially if the hip issues are significant/ongoing (no idea either way) then this would keep him on the park longer. And could still do spells in the middle if they were struggling. But if his body is no concern I still think I want him in the guts mostly.
Two different philosophies?
BMac:​
If the boys in the middle crack in the goals will take care of themselves
Bev:​
No point getting a heap of possession in the phonebox or the tardis if there's no-one up forward to mark it, crumb it or kick a snag

I'm starting to come around to the idea of Bont starting out of the goal square and then moving up the ground as it suits him.

Back