Opinion 2019 lineup

Remove this Banner Ad

I was all for playing Bont forward but after Sunday I was reminded of how valuable he was as a midfielder. The game changed totally as soon as he went on the ball.

Mind you, he coud have had two goals in the first quarter but missed one and passed the other to Billy G in the goalsquare...

I was all for playing Bont forward but after Sunday I was reminded of how valuable he was as a midfielder. The game changed totally as soon as he went on the ball.

Mind you, he coud have had two goals in the first quarter but missed one and passed the other to Billy G in the goalsquare...
Game changed but we lost?

Is Caleb Daniel any chance of keeping this HB role he played in JLT1 during the season? great user of the ball, he could really be a weapon back there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is Caleb Daniel any chance of keeping this HB role he played in JLT1 during the season? great user of the ball, he could really be a weapon back there.
Yeah he played there last 3 or 4 games of the season and would have averaged 28+ touches i reckon. And looks to have kicked on with it this year. His offense off half back is elite when combined with faster/distance gained players like JJ/Suckling etc just have to wait and see whether teams find a way to play through him because of his height. Lucky our intercept marking is probably our biggest strength so i think we can cover it although in saying that he did get caught one out deep once last week.

Yeah he played there last 3 or 4 games of the season and would have averaged 28+ touches i reckon. And looks to have kicked on with it this year. His offense off half back is elite when combined with faster/distance gained players like JJ/Suckling etc just have to wait and see whether teams find a way to play through him because of his height. Lucky our intercept marking is probably our biggest strength so i think we can cover it although in saying that he did get caught one out deep once last week.
I still remember that game where he somehow ended up 1v1 against I think Mason Cox (someone enormous). Made it look like Shaq and his wife

I still remember that game where he somehow ended up 1v1 against I think Mason Cox (someone enormous). Made it look like Shaq and his wife
Yeah its pretty funny when it happens haha. But seriously for the certain few people saying he can never play as a defender, if it was JJ that got caught one out last week he would have lost the contest too, does that mean he shouldnt be able to play defense? If your smaller rebounders get caught out against bigger stronger forwards its gonna be ugly either way it doesnt matter if theyre 170cm or 180cm.

Scary thing about your midfield is that age wise your probs 4 years away from its peak and yet your statistically 2nd in the comp for clearances.
Imagine if we didn't have a bottom 4 ruck division :/

Yeah our midfield is legitimately stacked full of young talent, but I fear this came at the expense of our forward line - these are the forwards we've drafted over the years (not counting midfielders that end up sitting up forward):
> 2017 - Billy Gowers - Rookie pick 9
> 2016 - Fergus Greene - Pick 70
> 2012 - Jake Stringer - Pick 5

So basically we've almost exclusively drafted defenders and midfielders (hence why those areas are quite strong) and neglected the forward line.

There's also Patrick Lipinski (2016, Pick 28), Josh Dunkley (2015, Pick 25) and Bailey Dale (2014, Pick 45) who are all arguably mid-forwards.

The club has invested very little in our forward line other than trading for Sam Lloyd 2018 (Pick 64 this year to Richmond), Josh Schache 2017 (Pick 25 and 40 to Brisbane) and Tom Boyd back in 2014 (Pick 6 and Ryan Griffen to GWS). Besides that, we've largely ignored them in the draft ever since Stringer, and he's gone now

Yeah its pretty funny when it happens haha. But seriously for the certain few people saying he can never play as a defender, if it was JJ that got caught one out last week he would have lost the contest too, does that mean he shouldnt be able to play defense? If your smaller rebounders get caught out against bigger stronger forwards its gonna be ugly either way it doesnt matter if theyre 170cm or 180cm.
Yeah I agree. Caleb Daniel is among our best defenders simply because of how well he reads play, how rarely he actually gets caught out, and how composed he is with the ball. Rebounding isn't just running fast on the wings, and I'd say CD is just as important as a rebounder as JJ. So long as you have others to cover his deficiencies (with Naughton being basically his polar opposite as a defender) it means we can afford that he's not so great 1 on 1

Yeah our midfield is legitimately stacked full of young talent, but I fear this came at the expense of our forward line - these are the forwards we've drafted over the years (not counting midfielders that end up sitting up forward):

So basically we've almost exclusively drafted defenders and midfielders (hence why those areas are quite strong) and neglected the forward line.

There's also Patrick Lipinski (2016, Pick 28), Josh Dunkley (2015, Pick 25) and Bailey Dale (2014, Pick 45) who are all arguably mid-forwards.

The club has invested very little in our forward line other than trading for Sam Lloyd 2018 (Pick 64 this year to Richmond), Josh Schache 2017 (Pick 25 and 40 to Brisbane) and Tom Boyd back in 2014 (Pick 6 and Ryan Griffen to GWS). Besides that, we've largely ignored them in the draft ever since Stringer, and he's gone now

Stringer was also a midfielder when we drafted him. Fergus was more of a winger than a forward too. Mclean is the only real forward we have drafted but he ended up a mid.

Stringer was also a midfielder when we drafted him. Fergus was more of a winger than a forward too. Mclean is the only real forward we have drafted but he ended up a mid.

Strangely enough Macrae was also considered a Stevie J type when drafted. He's lost the sidestep he was notorious for which is kind of strange.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's been plenty of investment. They just have not worked out. Tom Boyd should be a 50+ goal a year FF. Where is he? Stringer. Dahlhaus started as a defensive forward who could snag a few. Cloke. Problem is that plans have just not worked out but didn't stop us getting a Premiership.

Strangely enough Macrae was also considered a Stevie J type when drafted. He's lost the sidestep he was notorious for which is kind of strange.
I don't think he's lost it at all. He's added so many strings to his bow year on year that he doesn't rely on it like he may have initially. It will always be there when he and we need it.

Young played fwd a lot in his draft year.
Was moved back to join the large nbrs we already had there

Macrae might have added a bullet i50 pass to his game over the off season. Sure he delivered one in JLT 1 and it was dropped (possibly thru shock). But left or right i cant recall.
There seems to be no stone he has not turned.

FB: Wood, Morris, Duryea
HB: Daniel, Cordy, Crozier
C: Richards, Liberatore, Hunter
HF: Wallis, Schache, Lloyd
FF: Naughton, English, Bontempelli
FOL: Trengove, Macrae, Dunkley
INT: Suckling, Smith, McLean, Williams

Those who have played JLT and unlucky to miss are Lippy, Young, Hayes and Gowers

I think its become apparent that English is just not ready. Get the feeling we'll just go in with Trengove and some pinch-hitters.
Naughton good up forward but Cordy looks undersized against the bigger forwards. Until McCartin went down their big forwards were just too dominant. Therefore Naughton goes back. Lloyd sealed his spot today because he's proven he can take a chance.

FB: Morris Naughton Crozier
HB: Wood Cordy Daniel
C: Hunter Wallis Macrae
HF: Maclean Schache Suckling
FF: Lloyd Bontempelli Richards
FOL: Trengove Dunkley Liberatore
INT: Williams Duryea Smith Hayes

Was a fan of Gowers but he was probably the worst performed player over the two games and seems to have lost all confidence. Smith and Hayes at least showed themselves to be go-ers.

This team is crying out JJ though...

B: Duryea Cordy Crozier
HB: Wood Morris Daniel
C: Hunter Macrae Suckling
HF: Lloyd Naughton Richards
F: McLean Schache Wallis
R: English Libba Bontempelli
Int: Dunkley Williams Trengove Lipinski

Gowers, Smith and Hayes miss out for me. Would like to see Dickson but hasn’t played any JLT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back