Western Bulldogs
B: Duryea Cordy Crozier
HB: Wood Morris Daniel
C: Hunter Macrae Suckling
HF: Lloyd Naughton Richards
F: McLean Schache Wallis
R: English Libba Bontempelli
Int: Dunkley Williams Trengove Lipinski

Gowers, Smith and Hayes miss out for me. Would like to see Dickson but hasn’t played any JLT.

Closest team I’ve seen go whatshould be picked from JLT

Lipinski shouldn’t be in has done zero

paulveed

Club Legend
Jan 3, 2010
traf e
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
liverpool
And his army brother would kill the match committee, all the BigFooty folk calling for Wood to be dropped and you too*.

* Because the he can and the govt knows where you live.

Hey DR, it might almost be worth a try if it means we get a new match committee, then we could bring him straight back in.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
I'm finding it very hard to pick a side for round 1. Going off of JLT form, there were a number of players who don't look to be in particularly good form (e.g. Richards, Gowers, Williams, Daniel, Lipinski, Cordy, English) but we didn't really give any alternative options a go (e.g. Dickson, Greene, Cavarra, Young). So we're left either picking players who don't appear to be in form or those who haven't had a chance to show that they are or aren't in form.

As an aside, Naughton worked into the game as a forward ok yesterday but we simply cannot afford to defend the rebound as poorly as we did without him down back. Cordy is a much worse player without him, too. Naughton is critical to our back 6.

Given this, the team I'd select round 1 would look something like this:
FB: Morris - Naughton - Wood
HB: Daniel - Cordy - Crozier
C: Hunter - Bontempelli - Richards
HF: Suckling - Schache - Lloyd
FF: Wallis - Dickson - Greene

R: Trengove - Liberatore - Macrae

I: Duryea - McLean - Hayes - Dunkley

E: English - Williams - Gowers - Lipinski

I don't think it's our best team, but I don't think Gowers, Williams, English or Lipinski are playing good enough footy to put their hands up yet. As for our key forward stocks, the less said the better.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm finding it very hard to pick a side for round 1. Going off of JLT form, there were a number of players who don't look to be in particularly good form (e.g. Richards, Gowers, Williams, Daniel, Lipinski, Cordy, English) but we didn't really give any alternative options a go (e.g. Dickson, Greene, Cavarra, Young). So we're left either picking players who don't appear to be in form or those who haven't had a chance to show that they are or aren't in form.

As an aside, Naughton worked into the game as a forward ok yesterday but we simply cannot afford to defend the rebound as poorly as we did without him down back. Cordy is a much worse player without him, too. Naughton is critical to our back 6.

Given this, the team I'd select round 1 would look something like this:
FB: Morris - Naughton - Wood
HB: Daniel - Cordy - Crozier
C: Hunter - Bontempelli - Richards
HF: Suckling - Schache - Lloyd
FF: Wallis - Dickson - Greene

R: Trengove - Liberatore - Macrae

I: Duryea - McLean - Hayes - Dunkley

E: English - Williams - Gowers - Lipinski

I don't think it's our best team, but I don't think Gowers, Williams, English or Lipinski are playing good enough footy to put their hands up yet. As for our key forward stocks, the less said the better.
Team looks roughly about what I'd pick, but I found it odd that you thought Daniel was in poor form when he was among our best in JLT1 (imo).

Also I'd personally have one of Williams and Gowers above Hayes - Gowers has been shocking in JLT but was very reliable for the entirety of 2018 so I think he's earned himself the R1 spot

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Team looks roughly about what I'd pick, but I found it odd that you thought Daniel was in poor form when he was among our best in JLT1 (imo).

Also I'd personally have one of Williams and Gowers above Hayes - Gowers has been shocking in JLT but was very reliable for the entirety of 2018 so I think he's earned himself the R1 spot
I found JLT 1 difficult to watch so my attention was wandering and my observations probably unreliable. For JLT 2 I thought his ball use was off - I have an issue with Daniel down back because his disposal does fluctuate, and on days where it's not on song he is a complete and utter liability playing on guys that are consistently 20cm taller. Granted, though, probably unfair to say he's in poor form - more of a personal frustration/opinion.

You're probably right on the second point, also, but gee I found Gowers and Williams quite putrid in what I saw. I'm not a Hayes fan but I thought he did less to completely ruin the chains he was involved in than the other two.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I found JLT 1 difficult to watch so my attention was wandering and my observations probably unreliable. For JLT 2 I thought his ball use was off - I have an issue with Daniel down back because his disposal does fluctuate, and on days where it's not on song he is a complete and utter liability playing on guys that are consistently 20cm taller. Granted, though, probably unfair to say he's in poor form - more of a personal frustration/opinion.

You're probably right on the second point, also, but gee I found Gowers and Williams quite putrid in what I saw. I'm not a Hayes fan but I thought he did less to completely ruin the chains he was involved in than the other two.
Hayes was probably worse in game 1 than game 2, so it could be put down to nerves settling. I'm hoping we see more of him this year as I think he has a lot to offer on a wing once he sorts out his awful disposal (which was nowhere near as bad in the VFL). Williams had patches of brilliance down back, but overall was pretty poor - again I'd hope this is sorted out over time, as he missed a big chunk of last year and JLT2 was his first game of the year. He's one of the main guys who can cause damage to the opposition so I really hope he features a lot this year.

Gowers and Wallis seems like a really good combination of medium forwards for us to be playing, but Gowers really need to pick up his form or else he's at risk of being relegated to the twos and sitting there for a while. Guys like Greene will be knocking on the door for selection so he can't get comfortable yet. I still think he'll be selected for round 1 as he did impress a lot last year.

I like having Daniel down back because he's generally quite composed and his disposal isn't usually that patchy, but the height mismatch issue definitely needs to be addressed. He got caught way too many times on opponents that completely outmatched him. There seems to be a number of issues in our structure that need fixing, and the JLT didn't give me a huge amount of hope that they'd be addressed :/

GrahamSmith

Debutant
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d probalby go something like this:

FF: Lloyd Shache Gowers
HF: Wallis Trengove McLean

C: Hunter Bontempelli Macrae

HB: Williams Naughton Crozier
FB: Wood Cordy Morris

R: English Dunkley Liberatore

I: Daniel Duryea Richards Suckling

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d probalby go something like this:

FF: Lloyd Shache Gowers
HF: Wallis Trengove McLean

C: Hunter Bontempelli Macrae

HB: Williams Naughton Crozier
FB: Wood Cordy Morris

R: English Dunkley Liberatore

I: Daniel Duryea Richards Suckling

I like it. But how has Trengove been going playing fwd? Can’t picture him in the forward 50 during the JLT

Doggies7

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks Manchester City
Beveridge has already said Naughton will be playing forward round 1 so time to change those teams! He won't play Trengove, English, Schache, Gowers and Naughton as the ruck / fwd group. I think it will be between Schache and English for the last spot with Schache winning out IMO, at least for round 1.

FB: Morris - Cordy - Duryea
HB: Crozier - Wood - Daniel
C: Hunter - Macrae - Richards
HF: Wallis - Naughton - Lloyd
FF: Gowers - Schache - Mclean

R: Trengove - Dunkley - Bontempelli

I: Suckling - Williams - Hayes - Libba

E: English - B.Smith - Lipinski

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
B: Duryea Cordy Crozier
HB: Wood Morris Daniel
C: Hunter Macrae Suckling
HF: Lloyd Naughton Richards
F: McLean Schache Wallis
R: English Libba Bontempelli
Int: Dunkley Williams Trengove Lipinski

Gowers, Smith and Hayes miss out for me. Would like to see Dickson but hasn’t played any JLT.
Also think this is our most likely line up, with Dickson in for Lipinksi. 2019 will be another development year so that would point to Lipinksi getting a game over Dickson. But we still need wins and Dickson seems to be our best forward right now with most experience so Dickson starts for mine, if he has form, with Lipinksi to earn his spot.

Not convinced by Duryea and Daniel down back. One of them comes out with the return of JJ.

Have to play two rucks. English must get games but not ready for number one ruck.

Interesting situation with Naughton. If Dickson, Wallis, Lloyd and Schache can gel and kick goals, and English can provide a contest if resting forward, we may not need Naughton to start forward and only use him when desperate. Or does the club continue to trial Naughton forward and bring on Lewis Young... Not ideal but Wood, Morris, Cordy and Crozier, and to a lesser extent Suckling, should all be able to support Young in most one on ones. Team defence seemed to work with Roberts and Hamling in 2016.

Will be interesting to watch how this plays out. Naughton might be the KPF we're looking for. A drafted KPF won't be ready for years. Trading for one means we'll likely have to pay overs, not being a destination club (e.g. Boyd, Hurley, Carlisle, Wingard and Lever situations all demonstrate we may have to pay more than the big clubs to get a decent player).

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FB Morris Cordy Duryea
HB Crozier Wood Daniel
C Hunter Macrae Richards
HF Lloyd Schache McLean
FF Bont Naughton Gowers
R Trengove Libba Dunkley
I Suckling Williams Wallis Dickson

Considering Swans won’t have a tall fwd line I’m happy to have Naughton fwd. It’ll stretch their backs having he and Schache plus the occasional Bont down there.
Duryea gets the starting gig with Naughton at other end.

No room for English and I think Bevo will go with one ruck and the chop out from Schache. Hayes hasn’t done enough and Smith needs to develope for a while in the twos.

Dickson in is a no brainer. Seems his VFL form is decent with 5 in two games and from what we’ve been told he’s as fit as he’s been in a couple of years.

He's probably going to play but I'd have any of Williams, Gowers or Smith in instead of Hayes. I really don't rate his kicking.
I thought Bailey Williams was ok and Smith started to pick up the pace of the game in JLT 2.

Judging by JLT 2 we may only go in with one ruckman which is lineball. English had double the hitouts, Trengove a few extra touches so does more around the ground at this stage. If we go with one it may just be Trengove by a nose but if we move Naughton back we might play both rucks.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Could Caleb play as a small forward?
Small forward, small defender, small midfielder, small bench rotation "As long as you include small, you're always on the ball."
To be serious for a moment his JLT form 25 Kicks and 25 Handballs was a bit concerning as i would think he was put there
to kick the ball given the extra time. I still don't know what Caleb Daniel's best position is and we have had a fair sample
size now.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is it a little concerning to our forwards - mainly Schache, English, Trengove - that we are needing our best defender to go forward to clunk a mark? Says a lot really for our talls down there..
Can't disagree, but to put a positive spin on the situation - how lucky are we to have such a genuine talent in Naughton? It's rare to find KPDs that excel to early in the careers, and even rarer to find ones so versatile. Last time we had such a talented swingman was probably Chris Grant

But yeah, we really do need to figure out our spine - one of the largest causes of our problems is the fact that we have arguably the weakest spine in the league (probably worse than GC and Sydney minus Buddy tbh)

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is it a little concerning to our forwards - mainly Schache, English, Trengove - that we are needing our best defender to go forward to clunk a mark? Says a lot really for our talls down there..
I agree although you could argue neither Trengove or English are really forwards. To not even have one developing on our list is borderline negligent.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can't disagree, but to put a positive spin on the situation - how lucky are we to have such a genuine talent in Naughton? It's rare to find KPDs that excel to early in the careers, and even rarer to find ones so versatile. Last time we had such a talented swingman was probably Chris Grant

But yeah, we really do need to figure out our spine - one of the largest causes of our problems is the fact that we have arguably the weakest spine in the league (probably worse than GC and Sydney minus Buddy tbh)
Need to show something to keep players like Naughton. It’s incredible how important hes become.
The situation never eventuated but this is precisely why I was keen on taking Ben King in the draft ahead of Bailey Smith in the hypothetical situation.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Need to show something to keep players like Naughton. It’s incredible how important hes become.
The situation never eventuated but this is precisely why I was keen on taking Ben King in the draft ahead of Bailey Smith in the hypothetical situation.
This is why I want us to commit hard to trading this year instead of the draft. It's not enough to stay in a perpetual rebuild - I'd rather see us trade out of the first round or two in order to secure some seasoned talent, as I feel this helps with potential flight risks like Naughton, English, Williams, etc.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There’s an article on fox sports suggesting we may be harming Naughtons career by playing him forward and he was compared to Weitering. Which is silly as Naughton doesn’t struggle to get a kick.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
I really hope we don’t move Naughton forward. He was as good as any 18 year old defender I’ve seen last year, reads the play as well as anyone and is our best intercept defender. With Adams gone, I’m not sure we have anyone on our list that offers what Naughton does down back. There is probably a good argument that key defenders are as important as key forwards these days anyway.

Schache improved as the year went on last year and should take one key forward spot. I’d be happy with the resting ruckman playing the other key forward position and just fly for marks and get the ball to ground Zaine Cordy 2016 style.

B: Morris - Naughton - Cordy
HB: Daniel - Wood - Crozier

R: Trengove - Bontempelli - Macrae
C: McLean - Liberatore - Hunter

HF: Wallis - Schache - Richards
F: Gowers - English - Lloyd

I: Suckling - Williams - Dunkley - Dickson

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I really hope we don’t move Naughton forward. He was as good as any 18 year old defender I’ve seen last year, reads the play as well as anyone and is our best intercept defender. With Adams gone, I’m not sure we have anyone on our list that offers what Naughton does down back. There is probably a good argument that key defenders are as important as key forwards these days anyway.

Schache improved as the year went on last year and should take one key forward spot. I’d be happy with the resting ruckman playing the other key forward position and just fly for marks and get the ball to ground Zaine Cordy 2016 style.

B: Morris - Naughton - Cordy
HB: Daniel - Wood - Crozier

R: Trengove - Bontempelli - Macrae
C: McLean - Liberatore - Hunter

HF: Wallis - Schache - Richards
F: Gowers - English - Lloyd

I: Suckling - Williams - Dunkley - Dickson

I’d be all for this if English was a little more aggressive in the air - which I heard he was doing more over pre season. Yet to really see him deep in the goal square in the JLT - seemed him and Trengove were just rotating off the bench.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d be all for this if English was a little more aggressive in the air - which I heard he was doing more over pre season. Yet to really see him deep in the goal square in the JLT - seemed him and Trengove were just rotating off the bench.
I’m guessing the club had hoped to see more of this from English over the jlt as well. I don’t believe 2 weeks ago we were even considering sending Naughton forward for round 1. Our poor jlt has meant a last minute rethink.

Back