Opinion 2019 lineup

Remove this Banner Ad

Not gonna lie I was kinda dreading this season already. Then we were quite hard to watch in both pre-season games. And now a Morris injury. Plus no Picken, JJ, Boyd and injuries to Cavarra, Khamis, Vandermeer, Webb, Dale and Jong. Silver lining though is for the first time since 2015 we enter a season under bugger all pressure although maybe a little pressure starting to build on Beveridge.

I’m not saying they are different footballers(but they are) but every coach in the history of sport has won by tightening up the defense first and building from there.

Also in a bottom 6 team, which we are, the ball will be in the backline more than the forward line so probably a goood thing to put the best mark in the team where the ball will be don’t you think?
Yeah agree, it's sad that we are so reliant on a second year player. I was more getting at sometimes when recruiting a
KPF a KPD with similar traits should not be ignored, Brody Mihocek from Collingwood kicked more goals than our own
Billy Gowers last year and played four less games 29 for memory, i would like to meet the man that saw that coming
at the start of 2018.

Duryea Naughton Wood
Crozier Cordy Daniel
Hunter Macrae Smith
Lloyd Schache Wallis
Dickson English Gowers
Trengrove Bont Libba

McLean Dunkley Williams Suckling

Emergency: Richards, Hayes, Lipinski, Greene

Expect Naughton will go back but like Harry Taylor and others like him - he can be swung forward if we need a lift which like Bont and McLean and Wallis is something Bevo will use a lot during the year.

We don’t have a settled team - but that can cause the opposition trouble planning for us - we can play some players out of normal positions and still present some sticky match ups. For example:

Williams Trengrove Cordy
JJ Naughton Wood

(Could play on most Attacks with a potential AA half back line)

Hunter Dunkley Richards
English Macrae Libba

(Tough contested with fast wings)

Wallis Bonti Gowers
Dickson Schache McLean

(This forward line will kick 100 and Bonti, Wallis and McLean will all spend big minutes in the midfield giving us one of the best midfields in the competition.

Daniel Suckling Crozier LLoyd

But also have the kids to come through Smith and West, Lippi and Dale and we have a few that will hopefully bring something if fit (Picken) and able to transition (Cavarro).

Could also bring in Young and move Trengrove to the ruck role he plays well.

I am one of the few who prefer him as a utility than a starting ruckman. The issue I have is that he is a great campaigner and his work ethic is outstanding but he just gets consistently beaten in the ruck - especially at centre squares by the number one ruck.

But he would kill the ruck/forward - so why not play on him in defence where he serviceable but not on the number 1 KPF but in the tall forward and/or second ruck and follow him into the ruck and kill him. So he would play on Jenkins, Patton, Cox, etc most teams have a match up who is 197-200+ and who is often the resting ruck. Naughty would play on the number 1. (Crazy after one year?)

If we play Fletch or Young - then the first question is would they be better as defenders on those players (not sure they are yet) and even if they were they wouldn’t be able to follow the second ruck so wouldn’t have that option.

T
Expect Naughton will go back but like Harry Taylor and others like him - he can be swung forward if we need a lift which like Bont and McLean and Wallis is something Bevo will use a lot during the year.

We don’t have a settled team - but that can cause the opposition trouble planning for us - we can play some players out of normal positions and still present some sticky match ups. For example:

Williams Trengrove Cordy
JJ Naughton Wood

Hunter Dunkley Richards
English Macrae Libba

Wallis Bonti Gowers
Dickson Schache McLean

(This forward line will kick 100 and Bonti, Wallis and McLean will all spend big minutes in the midfield giving us one of the best midfields in the competition.

But also have the kids to come through Smith and West, Lippi and Dale and we have a few that will hopefully bring something if fit (Picken) and able to transition (Cavarro).

I am one of the few who prefer him as a utility than a starting ruckman. The issue I have is that he is a great campaigner and his work ethic is outstanding but he just gets consistently beaten in the ruck - especially at centre squares by the number one ruck.

But he would kill the ruck/forward - so why not play on him in defence where he serviceable but not on the number 1 KPF but in the tall forward and/or second ruck and follow him into the ruck and kill him. So he would play on Jenkins, Patton, Cox, etc most teams have a match up who is 197-200+ and who is often the resting ruck. Naughty would play on the number 1. (Crazy after one year?)

If we play Fletch or Young - then the first question is would they be better as defenders on those players (not sure they are yet) and even if they were they wouldn’t be able to follow the second ruck so wouldn’t have that option.
The issue with Trengove taking the 2nd or 3rd tall is they’re usually very quick/mobile. Trengove is neither.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is it a lock naughton goes back now?
No.
I think Luke Beveridge is still saying he'll play forward. But he wouldn't be the first coach to be bluffing or to change his mind.
We on BF who normally know far better than the coach are pretty divided.

So it's anybody's guess.

Williams Trengrove Cordy
JJ Naughton Wood

Hunter Dunkley Richards
English Macrae Libba

Wallis Bonti Gowers
Dickson Schache McLean

Sorry mate that team is god awful

Slow and unbalanced

T

The issue with Trengove taking the 2nd or 3rd tall is they’re usually very quick/mobile. Trengove is neither.
Nevermind Trengove was either an average backman last year or a reasonable ruck and he's trained all pre-season as a ruck.

I suspect we go with Naugton and Cordy as the two talls in defence with Wood and Crozier both able to play intercept roles.

Forwardline remains an issue - we might just be tempted to go in with two rucks with one resting ruck forward begin instructed to 'just compete'.

Nevermind Trengove was either an average backman last year or a reasonable ruck and he's trained all pre-season as a ruck.

I suspect we go with Naugton and Cordy as the two talls in defence with Wood and Crozier both able to play intercept roles.

Forwardline remains an issue - we might just be tempted to go in with two rucks with one resting ruck forward begin instructed to 'just compete'.

This seems like the best course of action. Naughton to me is already an absolute rock down back and should be allowed to continue to develop there all year. I don’t mind the idea of him transitioning to a forward further down the track but let him build his game consistently and swap when he’s more experienced and we have more depth in the backline.

Sure he might just be out best key forward on the list but I don’t expect him to kick 2-3 goals a game all year. We have to remember that we were playing the saints and they were without their best KPD in Carlisle. I’d also much prefer a stronger backline then forwardline.

As for the rucks, I’m not unhappy to see Trengrove and English both play and rotate. English can’t ruck 80% of the game by himself yet and Trengrove is at least competetive when he goes in there. As for both of their presence forward, bevo’s never expected a key tall to kick bags for us. They just need to compete in the air which hopefully they can do.

It’s who we structure around them and the way the midfield works to win and deliver the ball inside 50 that’ll determine what score we kick, as has always been the case. I personally would like to see all of Gowers, Dickson, Lloyd, Wallis and McLean providing more mobile smaller options around that resting tall player. That’s where the goals will come from.

This seems like the best course of action. Naughton to me is already an absolute rock down back and should be allowed to continue to develop there all year. I don’t mind the idea of him transitioning to a forward further down the track but let him build his game consistently and swap when he’s more experienced and we have more depth in the backline.

Sure he might just be out best key forward on the list but I don’t expect him to kick 2-3 goals a game all year. We have to remember that we were playing the saints and they were without their best KPD in Carlisle. I’d also much prefer a stronger backline then forwardline.

As for the rucks, I’m not unhappy to see Trengrove and English both play and rotate. English can’t ruck 80% of the game by himself yet and Trengrove is at least competetive when he goes in there. As for both of their presence forward, bevo’s never expected a key tall to kick bags for us. They just need to compete in the air which hopefully they can do.

It’s who we structure around them and the way the midfield works to win and deliver the ball inside 50 that’ll determine what score we kick, as has always been the case. I personally would like to see all of Schache, Gowers, Dickson, Lloyd, Wallis and McLean providing more mobile smaller options around that resting tall player. That’s where the goals will come from.

I would like them to give Naughton a run fwd.. what's wrong with developing a swingman in the team?
We KNOW he can defend exceptionally, and he's shown enough to suggest he could be just as good forward.
This allows Trengove to go back, as he's seriously a terrible ruckman, and even if he's better than English currently, if we start English as ruck for every round this year, which lets face it, is another development year for us, he'll be miles ahead of him come August.

I would like to see;

FB: Wood - Trengove - Crozier
HB: Wallis - Cordy - Daniel
C: Hunter - Macrae - Richards
HF: Dunkley - Schache - McLean
FF: Lloyd - Naughton - Gowers
R: English - Bontempelli - Liberatore

I: Suckling - Duryea - Dickson - Williams

I honestly think that's our best team, despite JJ, who should slot in for Wallis at HFF, who then moves back into the forward line, pushing someone out of the bench. I'm guessing Duryea but I'm not sure without having seen much of him.

If anyone has a real problem with Naughton playing forward they better get used to The Bont playing CHF or FF, which has merit but is not as good for us as putting him on the ball. Before that happens they should swing Cordy back into the role he played in the 2016 finals as another tall besides Shaq.

This all seems pretty obvious to me, but it will be frustrating as * to see this weeks teamsheet come out, because I know it wont be anything like it.

I would like them to give Naughton a run fwd.. what's wrong with developing a swingman in the team?
We KNOW he can defend exceptionally, and he's shown enough to suggest he could be just as good forward.
This allows Trengove to go back, as he's seriously a terrible ruckman, and even if he's better than English currently, if we start English as ruck for every round this year, which lets face it, is another development year for us, he'll be miles ahead of him come August.

I would like to see;

FB: Wood - Trengove - Crozier
HB: Wallis - Cordy - Daniel
C: Hunter - Macrae - Richards
HF: Dunkley - Schache - McLean
FF: Lloyd - Naughton - Gowers
R: English - Bontempelli - Liberatore

I: Suckling - Duryea - Dickson - Williams

I honestly think that's our best team, despite JJ, who should slot in for Wallis at HFF, who then moves back into the forward line, pushing someone out of the bench. I'm guessing Duryea but I'm not sure without having seen much of him.

If anyone has a real problem with Naughton playing forward they better get used to The Bont playing CHF or FF, which has merit but is not as good for us as putting him on the ball. Before that happens they should swing Cordy back into the role he played in the 2016 finals as another tall besides Shaq.

This all seems pretty obvious to me, but it will be frustrating as **** to see this weeks teamsheet come out, because I know it wont be anything like it.

Not bad, but there's no chance Wallis plays anywhere except forward, I reckon. And Dunkley needs to do most of his work in the middle after the second half of last season.

I wish all the players the very best for season 2019

Always remember to have some fun, as time is short

Now for my indulgence

Team selection for round 1

In picking the side I have used some criteria I feel is relevant

I have selected our tallest possible side to match Sydney’s talls

The team has the following

Flexibility in forwards & backs

In & under players in the midfield with a good second rotation

Two ruckman, I just don’t understand why we don’t play rucks, the team looks a lot more balanced with them in

So this is it

FB: Lewis Young – Fletcher Roberts – Hayden Crozier

HB: Easton Wood – Jackson Trengove – Matthew Sucking

C: Lachie Hunter – Mitch Wallis – Jack Macrae

HF: Zaine Cordy – Aaron Naughton – Sam Lloyd

FF: Jordon Sweet – Josh Schache – Toby McLean

R: Tim English – Marcus Bontempelli – Tom Liberatore

I: Josh Dunkley – Ed Richards – Bailey Williams – Billy Gowers

In: Fletcher Roberts – Jackson Trengove – Bailey Williams – Hayden Crozier – Sam Lloyd (Richmond) – Lewis Young

Out: Tom Boyd (back) – Dale Morris (knee) – Liam Picken (concussion) – Jason Johannisen (ankle) – Bailey Dale (ankle) – Lin Jong (hamstring)

Emg: Patrick Lipinski – Caleb Daniel – Brad Lynch – Fergus Greene – Bailey Smith – Lachlan Young

Good luck – Go Dogs

Dont really know where to post this query. Might have already been asked. But aside from Bailey Williams which is a typo, are the current player stats correct? Did everyone grow a few cm taller over xmas and add 5 kgs?

Schache, Naughty, Gowers (alongside two genuine talls should have an easier time) Mclean, Lloyd, Dicko aint actually a bad starting forward line if we can supply them with half decent delivery. It doesnt have a whole lot of xfactor/make something out of nothing ability but guys like Bont, Hunter and Ed need to push forward and provide that and hopefully Greene, Dale and Cavarra start pushing for a spot who could all provide a bit of that (I still reckon Dale will slot straight into a spot the week hes fit, in form hes exactly what we need)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back