2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Relevant NEAFL rules for the Grand Final:

8.4 Arrangement of Grounds for Finals Series Matches
(a) The finals series Matches shall be played upon such ground or grounds as determined by the AFL. The basis of selection for finals venues will be;
(i) first two weeks of Finals – Matches will be played in the region of the highest ranked team
(ii) Grand Final – The Grand Final will be played in the region of the highest ranked team, subject to Rule 8.5(a)(iii); and
(iii) Where an AFL Club plays a non-AFL Club, the Grand Final will be played in the region of the non-AFL team regardless of ladder positions.

15.1 Team Playing Numbers for the Competition Home and Away Season and Finals
(a) AFL Clubs will play with the following numbers in each home and away and finals series Match.
i. Against State League clubs a maximum of 22 players.
ii. Against AFL clubs a maximum of 23 players.

(b) All State League (non-AFL) Clubs may play one (1) player in addition to the regular 22 players, known as the “23rd player” subject to the following requirements
i. the 23rd player must be under the age of 21 on 1 January of that season;
ii. each player can play no more than 6 Matches (including finals) in a season as the 23rd player;
iii. the 23rd player rule will be implemented in both home and away and finals series Matches – usual qualification rules apply;
iv. each player must not have played more than 20 NEAFL or senior State League (WAFL, SANFL, VFL, TSL) matches to be eligible to play as the 23rd player;
v. once a player who has played 6 matches in the same home & away season (or has played a total of 20 or more NEAFL or senior State League (WAFL, SANFL, VFL, TSL) Matches, that player must then be included in the Club’s 22 players and the 23rd player position made available for someone else

16.1 RESTRICTIONS ON AFL CLUBS:
16.1.2 Finals series matches: When playing against non-AFL Clubs in finals series Matches, the 22 players in each AFL Club’s squad shall comprise of a maximum 16 listed players (primary or rookie list) and a minimum of 6 top-up players. There are no restrictions on the number of listed players on the field at one time.

Like I said, joke league, not worth persisting with. You have professional outfits like us being ruled by third-rate administrators.

I think its a bit far tbh. While i don't think the structure of an NEAFL for AFL sides specifically is the optimal solution I don't think its really unfair that afl sides have some rule restrictions. We're talking about full professional football sides going up against guys who have full time jobs. If there aren't any restrictions at all then those other sides get flogged every week and have absolutely no chance. If thats happening all the time then players will go down and play QAFL instead (which has already happened before this season) and the standard of NEAFL drops further, and decreases the competition we get. Its a cycle.

We can't on one hand say we want more qld players playing in the lions side to help with retention etc yet just give the giant finger to local competitions that help with this very thing.

We're seeing a situation that would be extremely rare, where an afl team has an almost full list to choose from, especially this time of year.

To call it a joke is pretty demeaning to a lot of local footy players and administrators that are doing the best with the situation that has been presented by the AFL.

I think its a bit far tbh. While i don't think the structure of an NEAFL for AFL sides specifically is the optimal solution I don't think its really unfair that afl sides have some rule restrictions..
Nor do I, I'm well aware there's a gulf in class here and it's professionals against glorified amateurs. So there has to be some restrictions no doubt, but even you admit that the current situation isn't what suits us best.

If thats happening all the time then players will go down and play QAFL instead (which has already happened before this season) and the standard of NEAFL drops further, and decreases the competition we get. Its a cycle.
Why is it a bad thing if those players play QAFL? A strong QAFL is a good thing to have. But the majority of those players don't belong in a league with our boys if the gulf in class is that great, we need a better league to work in if our boys are to really improve.

We can't on one hand say we want more qld players playing in the lions side to help with retention etc yet just give the giant finger to local competitions that help with this very thing.
Who said anything about giving them a giant finger? I certainly didn't. I'm happy for us to contribute financially to these competitions the minute we turn a profit, to grow the game in Queensland. But don't pretend it's anything to do with getting more Queensland players in the Lions side, that happens at junior level (which I'm also in favour of funding). How many mature players have we recruited from other NEAFL teams or the QAFL in recent years? I can only think of juniors we've recruited that were dual listed with us and Aspley.

To call it a joke is pretty demeaning to a lot of local footy players and administrators that are doing the best with the situation that has been presented by the AFL.
That's your opinion and I don't share it. Their rules and decisions aren't fair or equitable and aren't helping us in our mission to win AFL premierships.

Yes and no. I don't think one game makes a massive difference. Perhaps they're using it as a way of saying thanks for the hard work of guys who have played there all year and won't be on the list going forward. They know those other guys are going to be there next year so they've chosen them to miss out this time knowing they will get another crack next year.

Regardless of the reason i'm confident that it would have been communicated to the guys who missed exactly the reasons. Yes they miss out on playing in a GF which is certainly nothing to sneeze at at any level, conversely they're guaranteed to be fit and ready to go for the pre season now as well, which is important coming into your second year of footy.

Either way I don't think it is a massive thing, whichever way they would have gone.
Yes I get the reward for players who may be moving on and the argument about picking your strongest side for the grand final.

I have enjoyed watching the seconds this year and will watch the Lions in the NEAFL rather than other AFL games. But I don’t really think another NEALF flag means anything (except for the guys who play in it). If you look at the best players every week it has been the group of older experienced players who have got us to the grand final. These guys are borderline AFL players. I respect the contribution they have made to the club, but we need to look to the future. A small thing you say, yes probably. Doing a whole lot of small things right has lead to our recent improvement.

Anyway I will be watching on Sunday and barracking for each and every player who takes the field in the Lions jumper.

Whilst I've made it pretty clear that the rules are farcical given Southport: (1) despite not finishing top, still earn the right to host the GF at their home ground (2) can play with one extra player and (3) the opposition (Brisbane) has to bring in 6 players top up players at the expense of available players; I think exceptions should be made (as they are in other state leagues) when the AFL affiliated's team is still involved in its AFL competition and its players have played the requisite number of games in the NEAFL for that year.

That all being said, the sooner we are involved in a different competition only playing against other AFL reserves teams the better.

With Brisbane restricted to 16 AFL-listed players in the final it brings a new challenge for the Lions side, having averaged 20 listed players every week. They haven’t ever dipped below 18 this year, and have played 20 or more every week since Round 13.

This is the point that shits me the most; that we have to play 16 listed players in the GF no less, when at no stage have we played less that 18 and averaging 20. :mad:

I think at the very least the teams should be able to field the same number of players (and therefore same number of rotations). Could be considered a health and safety issue as much as anything. As for the cap on senior players, that should be waved or at least altered to allow selection of players with a certain min number of games played during the year. We are after all playing last year's NEAFL premiers.

Spose we have to hop on one leg as well ! Absolute rubbish rules doubt that happens anywhere else outside the neafl
True but guess you have to look at the positives tomorrow is a shoot out between the Brisbane academy players for a list position next year and what better way to test them under pressures than in a grand final

Having the Lions Reserves play local footy has always been a s**t solution for both club and code. The local clubs hate it, the Lions only see it as a necessary evil and any attempts to try and level the playing field for the professionalism gap come across as contrived. There’s just never been an acceptable and financially viable alternative. What’s best for the local clubs is to have Reserves players allocated to them. But that’s no good for the Lions. The best thing for the Lions is to play their listed players every week but that would destroy the competition some years.

I don’t blame Lions supporters for being shitty at these rules but, equally, the local comp doesn’t live to serve the AFL clubs alone.

As an aside, if the team we’ve named doesn’t win by 10 goals, I’ll be very surprised. The class gap is immense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think at the very least the teams should be able to field the same number of players (and therefore same number of rotations). Could be considered a health and safety issue as much as anything. As for the cap on senior players, that should be waved or at least altered to allow selection of players with a certain min number of games played during the year. We are after all playing last year's NEAFL premiers.
That rule has applied in every game we've played against non-AFL sides this year. AFL players are going to have higher standards of physical fitness than part-timers. A better league would be better to play against but right now this is what we've got.

The 16-listed players rule is the only that's different from when we nearly quadrupled Southport's score a month ago.

Has anybody seen much of Keidan Coleman.
My mate used to coach him back at the Wynnum Vikings, and he said to me watch him he will be a player for the Lions.
Was a really nice kid and family , my mate made a comment , really well mannered always thankfull and respectfull , not like some kids these days.
Hope he goes well and stays in Lions colours .

Has anybody seen much of Keidan Coleman.
My mate used to coach him back at the Wynnum Vikings, and he said to me watch him he will be a player for the Lions.
Was a really nice kid and family , my mate made a comment , really well mannered always thankfull and respectfull , not like some kids these days.
Hope he goes well and stays in Lions colours .

Found it interesting that his family are in the NT but he and his brother went to Brisbane to persue AFL. Pretty big leap and takes a mature head to do so.

Found it interesting that his family are in the NT but he and his brother went to Brisbane to persue AFL. Pretty big leap and takes a mature head to do so.
Yeah I had thought it was his parents that I used to see, didn't realise he was from NT.
This is going back probably about 7 years so ahh you know , hard to remember those things .

There’s just never been an acceptable and financially viable alternative.
Do you know what the stumbling block has been for a national AFL reserves comp? At least for the eastern states. From what I'm reading, the SANFL clubs would happily boot out the Crows and Magpies, and I can't imagine the WAFL clubs are too fond of the Eagles and Peelmantle on their turf either.

Last edited:
Do you know what the stumbling block has been for a national AFL reserves comp? At least for the eastern states. From what I'm reading, the SANFL clubs would happily boot out the Crows and Magpies, and I can't imagine the WAFL clubs are too fond of the Eagles and Peelmantle on their turf either.
Funds I would say, especially given the Vic sides are most likely happy with the way their comp is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back