2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Any one out there know which academy players we will draft this year?Cumberland and Coleman looking promising today.
Thought Marsh has looked the best out of all of them 9 possessions till half time.moves well / good skills where did he come from. Currie built like an brick outhouse did well too

Last edited:
Almost everytime I watch the NEAFL Eagles plays better than Walker. You can see why we want to keep him for another season.
I really think Eagles would've made a difference last night if we were able to play him. Super fit , good leap and gives it a red hot go. Why on earth people are calling out for Walker completely mystifies me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking Skinner was likely to be delisted but after today I'd be surprised if he was.

The way he's built into this season has been very impressive. Even when he's not marking, he's rarely outmarked which is important. I reckon he'll either sign an extension or play for another club.

I think its a bit far tbh. While i don't think the structure of an NEAFL for AFL sides specifically is the optimal solution I don't think its really unfair that afl sides have some rule restrictions. We're talking about full professional football sides going up against guys who have full time jobs. If there aren't any restrictions at all then those other sides get flogged every week and have absolutely no chance. If thats happening all the time then players will go down and play QAFL instead (which has already happened before this season) and the standard of NEAFL drops further, and decreases the competition we get. Its a cycle.

We can't on one hand say we want more qld players playing in the lions side to help with retention etc yet just give the giant finger to local competitions that help with this very thing.

We're seeing a situation that would be extremely rare, where an afl team has an almost full list to choose from, especially this time of year.

To call it a joke is pretty demeaning to a lot of local footy players and administrators that are doing the best with the situation that has been presented by the AFL.
Sorry but this comp is weak, but do recognise lions best NEAFL side in its short history. How the heck our young guys and especially Payne, Starc, Allison etc learn anything as they have rarely been tested the entire season. Percentage of over 200. Sooner lions get into VFL or a national reserve comp the better for our young players who missed out today. Let’s be clear that most Qld talent that is picked up and is playing with the Lions (except Zorko and the odd player) comes via the academy and the u/18 Championships not via this weak comp. For the lions to be a real powerhouse need reserves to be playing in a comp closer to the intensity of AFL. NEAFL clubs need to drop down to a state league, it’s not for Lions to support a weak comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back