2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on him; smart footballer that clearly runs to the right spots to be able to take advantage of such opportunities; don't think you can knock a guy for getting a heap of goals in such fashion, cheap or otherwise.

Jackess has always been a Keays hater. Very poor take considering that's essentially what a crumbing forward is supposed to do..

Jackess has always been a Keays hater. Very poor take considering that's essentially what a crumbing forward is supposed to do..

Ppfffff. You want someone kicking 6 goals from winning 6 contests or getting half of them finishing off someone else’s good work?

I still think he should come in for Rayner but I’m not as confident the form will translate to senior level.

I still think he should come in for Rayner but I’m not as confident the form will translate to senior level.
I think anyone would do better than what Rayner has offered up in the past 3 weeks and even more so Keays given how hard he has worked in games throughout the same period. I also doubt Ben would take his spot for granted or not bust his arse in games as Rayner has been doing the past month.

I think anyone would do better than what Rayner has offered up in the past 3 weeks and even more so Keays given how hard he has worked in games throughout the same period. I also doubt Ben would take his spot for granted or not bust his arse in games as Rayner has been doing the past month.
I love what Cam potentially brings but essentially all he's done the last couple of weeks is want to have a blue with any opposition player who touches him and drop chest marks with the one or two bursts of brilliance . If it was anyone else there's no question he'd be getting a spell in the ressies . Maybe his thigh's still sore ,whatever.

We need whoever's fit and well and hungry against the pies . I've never been a big fan of Ben but clearly he's worked very hard on his game.

To all the Cutler haters why don't we just play this clearly talented guy and if he stuffs up the way you all think he does then we'll all know for sure. He has the skills we're lacking at present . Maybe he might surprise everyone and give it off a couple of times.

You would have thought Bastinac would have thought the same.

You would have thought Bastinac would have thought the same.

Basti didn't. He was unlucky to be dropped but if you watched the NEAFL he played well. Didn't drop his head or just accept it. He worked hard which is exactly what you want of someone who got dropped.

Basti didn't. He was unlucky to be dropped but if you watched the NEAFL he played well. Didn't drop his head or just accept it. He worked hard which is exactly what you want of someone who got dropped.
Yeah wasn't quoting about what he did in the reserves (whicch was great) but more inn the seniors. Very limited possessions for a wing? type. However we don't know what the coaches wanted from him and he must have not been doing them to a high enough standard for he got dropped. Though, whoever his replacement on the wing probably didn't di great either

Ppfffff. You want someone kicking 6 goals from winning 6 contests or getting half of them finishing off someone else’s good work?

I don’t disagree with your sentiments a lot of the time - Keays has shown nothing at senior level thus far outside of the occasional good handball out of a contest.

I just think a comment like that after he boots 6 goals in a half of footy is a little unfair and degrading. If you actually watch the clips he runs extremely hard to get to those spots, as well as some improved overhead marking which would go a long way in his improvement at senior level. Jury is still out obviously but he’s in a better spot than ever to prove himself with a new role and focus.

Lots of mud being thrown at Cutler. Personally I don't think he deserved it. He played like Gary Ablett has done for most of his career. He is the best player on that team by some margin at the moment and he wanted the ball and took on himself to try and make things happen. He had a bit of a slow start but overall worked hard and covered a lot of ground. He is not an inside player and his job is to be on the outside of the contest as the player who receives the ball. He did that. His defensive running seemed fine from what I could see which has been as much of an issue as anything. Overall I thought he had a fine game albeit a lot of what he tried did not quite come off and on occasions there were better options available. He was certainly not on his lonesome there but he did impact the game very positively overall.

Some other players:

Keays - had a very nice game. Worked hard and was in the right spot at the right time. I am not expecting that to happen every week as I do not see him as a natural forward but it was good to see his hard work rewarded there. He was reasonably clean but for me the biggest positive was the quality of his disposal. I thought his kicking looked a lot better than it has in the past.

Coleman - looked like the most natural forward out there imo. Moved nicely and positioned himself well. Some of his kicks were very nice and others not so much but overall I was impressed.

Ballenden - very solid at the back. Positioning was good and he provided some very nice run and kick from defense. We obviously want to make use of the quality of his disposal and he stepped up and worked hard to get into position to use it going forward. He took some nice marks.

Madden - is listed at 185 but he looks taller than that on the field. Showed some very nice glimpses. Exceptionally quick and uses it and this is something that our backline needs. His skills are neat and he looked very like Hanley on more than one occasion. He also has a bit of mongrel in his and this as much as anything makes me think he will be an AFL player. I like the aggression he shows and with everything else he brings I think he makes it.

Payne and Eagles - both not called on much but when they were they did the job. Both look like AFL standard defenders.

Answerth - got a lot of it but a bit scrappy for mine. Worked hard and didn't mind mixing it up.

Berry - was probably the first year who impressed me the most. Worked hard and although not a lot turned to gold he was there and there abouts a lot. Tackled hard and won a fair bit of his own ball.

Smith - just an average game imo. I had high hopes for him coming in but yet to really justify my high opinion of him. Not a bad game by any means I just did not think he stood out from the crowd.

Cox - not as good as the last couple of games I have seen him play. Did okay as a forward but for me I thought Coleman looked better playing the same role.

Allison - annoys me quite a bit. I really rate him and what he could bring to the side but he is just not putting it together and I think it is effort more than anything. The goal he kicked was at least 60 out and was from inside the square. He picked out some lovely intermediate targets which has been a weakness of his game and he positioned himself well on a few dangerous entries. On the other side he too often just cruised around when the opposition had the ball and a couple of times if he had pushed himself he could have pressured the ball carrier but he didn't. On paper he is the quickest player we have but he rarely uses it in game and he really needs to offer the burst pace. He was intermittently physical which is a step in the right direction.

Lots of mud being thrown at Cutler. Personally I don't think he deserved it. He played like Gary Ablett has done for most of his career. He is the best player on that team by some margin at the moment and he wanted the ball and took on himself to try and make things happen. He had a bit of a slow start but overall worked hard and covered a lot of ground. He is not an inside player and his job is to be on the outside of the contest as the player who receives the ball. He did that. His defensive running seemed fine from what I could see which has been as much of an issue as anything. Overall I thought he had a fine game albeit a lot of what he tried did not quite come off and on occasions there were better options available. He was certainly not on his lonesome there but he did impact the game very positively overall.

Some other players:

Keays - had a very nice game. Worked hard and was in the right spot at the right time. I am not expecting that to happen every week as I do not see him as a natural forward but it was good to see his hard work rewarded there. He was reasonably clean but for me the biggest positive was the quality of his disposal. I thought his kicking looked a lot better than it has in the past.

Coleman - looked like the most natural forward out there imo. Moved nicely and positioned himself well. Some of his kicks were very nice and others not so much but overall I was impressed.

Ballenden - very solid at the back. Positioning was good and he provided some very nice run and kick from defense. We obviously want to make use of the quality of his disposal and he stepped up and worked hard to get into position to use it going forward. He took some nice marks.

Madden - is listed at 185 but he looks taller than that on the field. Showed some very nice glimpses. Exceptionally quick and uses it and this is something that our backline needs. His skills are neat and he looked very like Hanley on more than one occasion. He also has a bit of mongrel in his and this as much as anything makes me think he will be an AFL player. I like the aggression he shows and with everything else he brings I think he makes it.

Payne and Eagles - both not called on much but when they were they did the job. Both look like AFL standard defenders.

Answerth - got a lot of it but a bit scrappy for mine. Worked hard and didn't mind mixing it up.

Berry - was probably the first year who impressed me the most. Worked hard and although not a lot turned to gold he was there and there abouts a lot. Tackled hard and won a fair bit of his own ball.

Smith - just an average game imo. I had high hopes for him coming in but yet to really justify my high opinion of him. Not a bad game by any means I just did not think he stood out from the crowd.

Cox - not as good as the last couple of games I have seen him play. Did okay as a forward but for me I thought Coleman looked better playing the same role.

Allison - annoys me quite a bit. I really rate him and what he could bring to the side but he is just not putting it together and I think it is effort more than anything. The goal he kicked was at least 60 out and was from inside the square. He picked out some lovely intermediate targets which has been a weakness of his game and he positioned himself well on a few dangerous entries. On the other side he too often just cruised around when the opposition had the ball and a couple of times if he had pushed himself he could have pressured the ball carrier but he didn't. On paper he is the quickest player we have but he rarely uses it in game and he really needs to offer the burst pace. He was intermittently physical which is a step in the right direction.
You don't post enough on our board Q, I'd love to read more of what you have to say, particularly assessments of our players and draft/trade prospects.

Around the state leagues
tate league affiliate: Brisbane (NEAFL)
This weekend: Brisbane v GWS Giants - Saturday, April 13, 11am, Burpengary

Forward Ben Keays had a day out in Brisbane's 95-point demolition of Greater Western Sydney, kicking six goals to go with his 15 disposals. Keays, in his fourth season, is yet to play an AFL game this year after just two last year.

Corey Lyons led allcomers with 29 disposals (19 of which were kicks), six marks and a goal. The omitted Ryan Bastinac – who last year was delisted then subsequently signed as a rookie – responded well with 27 disposals and seven marks.

The versatile Tom Cutler would be ruing several shots on goal, finishing with 1.3 from his 23 touches, while second-year key forward Toby Woller was very busy with 25 and 11 marks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some other players:

Really good post.
How do you think Madden's pace compares with Petrucelles from Eagles?

Really good post.
How do you think Madden's pace compares with Petrucelles from Eagles?

Haven't seen much of him obviously but it looks pretty similar. That one play in defence when the ball was kicked to space and he started behind and ran past the opponent and collected the ball was very impressive. He has that burst that can be a real asset to cover over some craps.

You don't post enough on our board Q, I'd love to read more of what you have to say, particularly assessments of our players and draft/trade prospects.

I haven't had a chance to do much on the draft side for a couple of years now. My son just turned 10 and doing things with him takes up a lot of my spare time. I didn't get to even see the main game on the weekend and we are off to Europe next week to play in the European Pokémon Championships so will miss a couple more games. So missing a fair bit of football has become the norm unfortunately (not that I would change anything).

Do we roll the dice with Cutler? Can be a game breaker. I am leaning this way.
It's madness not playing Cutler on anything I've ever seen from him.

But there could be reasons to which we may not be privy.

He's actually got class when he puts his mind to it , a commodity that comes in useful

Well Dylan Charlie has been missing shots he would've swallowed 3 weeks ago . Seemed strangely out of sorts . Likewise Cam who maybe is still struggling with the injury. Jarryd really needs to do more . We hear a lot about off the ball stuff . That's gone from being underrated to overrated within a year or two.

I know those 3 guys are trying really hard , the pressure of being the hunted has made life difficult.

Watching Cuts running around in the NEAFL I actually reckon he's in form and up for a challenge if they throw him a bone , despite what others think.

Well Dylan Charlie has been missing shots he would've swallowed 3 weeks ago . Seemed strangely out of sorts . Likewise Cam who maybe is still struggling with the injury. Jarryd really needs to do more . We hear a lot about off the ball stuff . That's gone from being underrated to overrated within a year or two.

I know those 3 guys are trying really hard , the pressure of being the hunted has made life difficult.

Watching Cuts running around in the NEAFL I actually reckon he's in form and up for a challenge if they throw him a bone , despite what others think.
I don't think Charlie should be dropped because he is at least getting the ball and presenting, unlike Rayner.

I think Charlie is very much a confidence player and had he been able to convert those very gettable shots in the first quarter against Essendon, then anything would've been possible.

Since the West Coast game, his body language has been very indifferent and some of his marking attempts have been just ridiculous and needs to change. Someone in the game day thread summed up Charlie perfectly by saying that Charlie seems to think that every marking contest or goal attempt needs to be a highlight reel. He really just needs to get back to basics and the rest will follow.

I don't think Charlie should be dropped because he is at least getting the ball and presenting, unlike Rayner.

I think Charlie is very much a confidence player and had he been able to convert those very gettable shots in the first quarter against Essendon, then anything would've been possible.

Since the West Coast game, his body language has been very indifferent and some of his marking attempts have been just ridiculous and needs to change. Someone in the game day thread summed up Charlie perfectly by saying that Charlie seems to think that every marking contest or goal attempt needs to be a highlight reel. He really just needs to get back to basics and the rest will follow.

He said in an interview earlier this year that he wants to be one of the best small forwards in the game in the style of betts. Agree that he is trying for the highlights reel. He might need to to step back and concentrate on the here and now.

He said in an interview earlier this year that he wants to be one of the best small forwards in the game in the style of betts. Agree that he is trying for the highlights reel. He might need to to step back and concentrate on the here and now.
His body is quick but his brain is even quicker!
SLOOOW DOOOOWWWNN CHAARLIIE!

Get the same feeling myself.

Someone needs to sit Charlie down and say mate ,all you have to do is the basics and do them as well as you can . Occasionally you might pull off a blinder.

Once Charlie gets back to being just another cog in the wheel his game will improve

Remove this Banner Ad

Back