2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I see W. MARTYN playing for Aspley. Have other academy dudes passed him?
I’d say it’s more a needs based omission. We have a lot of young mids on our list in the NEAFL team.

Not so many outside mids or small forwards.

There’s only two spots we need to fill with academy kids, so we’ve picked kids who can play outside and up forward.

I’d say it’s more a needs based omission. We have a lot of young mids on our list in the NEAFL team.

Not so many outside mids or small forwards.

There’s only two spots we need to fill with academy kids, so we’ve picked kids who can play outside and up forward.

Aspley have chosen him for their side so we can't select him. Neafl sides get first choice on academy guys bar overage players if they sign on for another year

Almost like we’re handicapping ourselves to keep the scores close.

Coaches should be reminding the team that there are possible senior positions available next week but if you keep on playing like that then...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched from the beginning of the second quarter.

Looked like we barely got out of second gear for most of the game.

NRobbo still butchers the ball, but he looked to at least take the game on.

I watched the whole of the game and it certainly wasn’t a great spectacle but I found a few take home aspects:

- regardless of any other criticism people make of him, Robertson is such a hard worker both ways. He would have comfortably run more km than anyone else on the field.

- Cedric is class but needs to involve himself in games. Every touch can be so good but he just needs to do it more often. If we ever crack the code of getting Cedric to have higher involvement he could be a superstar.

- Our tall forwards were OK but the quality of ball coming in wasn’t always great and they need to make more of those situations.

- Coleman seemed to be playing well within himself but he does such good work, rarely fumbly and getting better defensively. Just an all round quality player at this stage of his development. One defensive chase from Coleman was just outstanding.

- Noah Cumberland didn’t get a lot of it but showed some excellent touches in tight situations. Great fend for a goal late in the game. He has really quick decision making and just needs to get more experience at being in the right places at the right times.

- Tom Berry is a busy player and I love how he is never uninvolved in the game - because he works just as hard in defence. Really coming along well. I think he only had 16 disposals and 7 tackles but a ton of pressure acts and cutting off ball movement by running to zone up quickly.

- Corey Lyons, 42 disposals and a lot of inside grunt work. Like his brother I think he can have games where he goes almost unnoticed but the work is still being done. Often I think players like him get dismissed as having no outstanding stand-out characteristics but I think he is one of those whose work rate in digging the ball out makes him worthwhile. I would hate for us to make the mistake with him that GC made with his brother.

- Payne already looks so comfortable in much of what he does at this level and his next stage of development will probably have to involve some time at AFL level or sone time playing a different role at NEAFL level, just to extend his range of skill. We won’t really know what he can achieve until he gets to AFL level. At all but three or four clubs, he would have already made his AFL debut I think - he is raw but good enough. He is just sitting in the queue at the Lions waiting for his time. But after his re-signing there is time.

I watched the whole of the game and it certainly wasn’t a great spectacle but I found a few take home aspects:

- regardless of any other criticism people make of him, Robertson is such a hard worker both ways. He would have comfortably run more km than anyone else on the field.

- Cedric is class but needs to involve himself in games. Every touch can be so good but he just needs to do it more often. If we ever crack the code of getting Cedric to have higher involvement he could be a superstar.

- Our tall forwards were OK but the quality of ball coming in wasn’t always great and they need to make more of those situations.

- Coleman seemed to be playing well within himself but he does such good work, rarely fumbly and getting better defensively. Just an all round quality player at this stage of his development. One defensive chase from Coleman was just outstanding.

- Noah Cumberland didn’t get a lot of it but showed some excellent touches in tight situations. Great fend for a goal late in the game. He has really quick decision making and just needs to get more experience at being in the right places at the right times.

- Tom Berry is a busy player and I love how he is never uninvolved in the game - because he works just as hard in defence. Really coming along well. I think he only had 16 disposals and 7 tackles but a ton of pressure acts and cutting off ball movement by running to zone up quickly.

- Corey Lyons, 42 disposals and a lot of inside grunt work. Like his brother I think he can have games where he goes almost unnoticed but the work is still being done. Often I think players like him get dismissed as having no outstanding stand-out characteristics but I think he is one of those whose work rate in digging the ball out makes him worthwhile. I would hate for us to make the mistake with him that GC made with his brother.

- Payne already looks so comfortable in much of what he does at this level and his next stage of development will probably have to involve some time at AFL level or sone time playing a different role at NEAFL level, just to extend his range of skill. We won’t really know what he can achieve until he gets to AFL level. At all but three or four clubs, he would have already made his AFL debut I think - he is raw but good enough. He is just sitting in the queue at the Lions waiting for his time. But after his re-signing there is time.

I don't think anyone has ever questions how hard Robbo can run.

Almost like we’re handicapping ourselves to keep the scores close.
To be honest your neafl team is the most frustrating to watch , yesterday was almost an afl team with an Allie rep playing a bunch of kids , you should have won by 30 goals. The reason you didn’t is for most of the game you played chip ball not football hence the ridiculous possession stats. I know they are following a game plan but when you are ten goals up is it really necessary to chip across the half back line for 5 minutes when in the Suns backline Leslie is fighting a losing one man war. One of your forwards should have kicked ten yesterday. I know you are a winning team but it would have been nice to see the handbrake taken off and let the players have some fun. From a football purist it really was a s**t game to watch and don’t think any of your players really got anything out of it

To be honest your neafl team is the most frustrating to watch , yesterday was almost an afl team with an Allie rep playing a bunch of kids , you should have won by 30 goals. The reason you didn’t is for most of the game you played chip ball not football hence the ridiculous possession stats. I know they are following a game plan but when you are ten goals up is it really necessary to chip across the half back line for 5 minutes when in the Suns backline Leslie is fighting a losing one man war. One of your forwards should have kicked ten yesterday. I know you are a winning team but it would have been nice to see the handbrake taken off and let the players have some fun. From a football purist it really was a s**t game to watch and don’t think any of your players really got anything out of it
I thought our players must have been told to take it easy on the Suns kids.

Seconds have been pretty ordinary (to watch) for about a month now. Have definitely become stodgier in the way they're going about it. Guess the staff don't want them playing like millionaires against obviously weaker opposition and developing bad habits. :shrug:

Seconds have been pretty ordinary (to watch) for about a month now. Have definitely become stodgier in the way they're going about it. Guess the staff don't want them playing like millionaires against obviously weaker opposition and developing bad habits. :shrug:
Just felt sorry for the reasonable crowd that were there and for some of the suns forwards like Corbett who literally couldn’t get within 50 metres of the ball through the chipathon. A more open game would have suited everyone. It seriously was like watching Geoff boycott bat , a no risk century off 300 balls against a club attack

Just felt sorry for the reasonable crowd that were there and for some of the suns forwards like Corbett who literally couldn’t get within 50 metres of the ball through the chipathon. A more open game would have suited everyone. It seriously was like watching Geoff boycott bat , a no risk century off 300 balls against a club attack
Sadly, pretty much every coach in football subscribes to the credo 'the team who bores the most, scores the most'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back