2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just felt sorry for the reasonable crowd that were there and for some of the suns forwards like Corbett who literally couldn’t get within 50 metres of the ball through the chipathon. A more open game would have suited everyone. It seriously was like watching Geoff boycott bat , a no risk century off 300 balls against a club attack
Our 2's have obviously been told to play to a "senior" gameplan as if they were actually playing AFL. They would get nothing out of beating them by 30 goals except some confidence. I assume they would be practicing "keepies off" to simulate AFL. The players aren't there to entertain 100 players (pure guess of capacity), they are to develop their games.

To be honest your neafl team is the most frustrating to watch , yesterday was almost an afl team with an Allie rep playing a bunch of kids , you should have won by 30 goals. The reason you didn’t is for most of the game you played chip ball not football hence the ridiculous possession stats. I know they are following a game plan but when you are ten goals up is it really necessary to chip across the half back line for 5 minutes when in the Suns backline Leslie is fighting a losing one man war. One of your forwards should have kicked ten yesterday. I know you are a winning team but it would have been nice to see the handbrake taken off and let the players have some fun. From a football purist it really was a s**t game to watch and don’t think any of your players really got anything out of it

This isn’t an unfair point which the club will duly ignore because the NEAFL games, when against weaker opposition, are about keeping to the system and every player doing their job. It isn’t that attractive at times but it is obviously part of a bigger plan.

I get how it looks for the spectator but I think the players get a structure reinforced for the day they may be part of it in the big league. I’m not sure a 30 goal win teaches them much more compared to a ten goal win anyway.

What we need of course is intense competition that replicates AFL in pressure speed and intensity, just taken down a notch. We don’t have that. We have NEAFL.

funny when they chip it around with no pressure. then take forever to move forward then some lack of skill and polish does not get to target.
Then comes back again and our backline play it like a ball with it again.

Would not mind practise the passes inside 50 and GOAL KICKING :) he he
Where the seniors having problems. lowering eyes. finding targets. forwards moving to create space. Doubling back, fake leads etc.
We get the ball inside 50 a lot and sometime it pays off and sometime like against Kangas we bomb it in.

CHWPc9W.png

b8MfPyu.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said it before, I don't think Archie has it in him to be a consistent performer at AFL level, I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Has a reputation at junior level for playing a similar hard as a cats head style.
Point A. Another reason I’m big on the WA ruck in the draft.

Point B. I know.

Yes I agree with briztoon, it's worrying that Archie is getting outplayed at NEAFL level and we might need to look at another ruck. Luke Jackson, the WA ruck mentioned above, seems very similar to Stef, it'd be great to have Stef mentoring him.

Point A. Another reason I’m big on the WA ruck in the draft.

Point B. I know.
How quickly do you think Jackson would be capable at senior level? Is he a long term ie. 4-5 year project like nearly all young ruckman?

I have had a look at him since you mentioned him and sounds like a likely type.

problem for Berry Jnr is short term no spots apart from a injury. Same goes for Lyons Jnr.
No matter what people say I think Bailey doing a ok job.
Answerth been great.
Other players have one good and one bad game or untouchable to be dropped.

Previous years they both would of played and we be 3 games won only.
Things changed they just have to wait..

How quickly do you think Jackson would be capable at senior level? Is he a long term ie. 4-5 year project like nearly all young ruckman?

I say a ruck is what we need to draft in this year.
Archie struggled with season chance this year although has a few more years to come good.
Martin be here for you hope 2 more years maybe one.
You look at Saints, Crows etc new rucks took the game on..

problem for Berry Jnr is short term no spots apart from a injury. Same goes for Lyons Jnr.
No matter what people say I think Bailey doing a ok job.
Answerth been great.
Other players have one good and one bad game or untouchable to be dropped.

Previous years they both would of played and we be 3 games won only.
Things changed they just have to wait..
What has happened to your English?

You’re starting to read more and more like peel67skin. That’s not a good thing.

I’m no expert on Ruck development, but at a pure guess I reckon he’d be up for it in his second or third season.

The kid is a competitive beast. He’s got that hunger.

He’s got a much better aerobic capacity than any ruck we’ve seen in recent drafts.

He’s got a body that looks like he could build muscle very quickly.

As I’ve said in the past, he’s not just a tap ruck, he become’s a big bodied mid once the ball hits the ground, and will put in those second, and third and fourth efforts to win the ball, while the other ruck trails behind the contest.

He’s also a good field kick, and is working on his goal kicking.

I believe he would compliment Oscar perfectly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back