14 Sunday, July 7 GWS Sydney Showground Away 1.00pm
15 BYE
16 Saturday, July 20 Gold Coast The Gabba Home 3.45pm

17 Sunday, July 28 Sydney SCG Away 11.40am
18 Saturday, Aug 3 Southport Fankhauser Reserve Away 1.30pm
19 Saturday, Aug 10 Gold Coast The Gabba Home 12.55pm
20 Sunday, Aug 18 GWS Sydney Showground Away 11.40am
21 Saturday, Aug 24 Sydney SCG (TBC) Away TBC

For the second season in a row, the Brisbane Lions' NEAFL side will start their season with a gruelling trip to Darwin to take on the NT Thunder on April 7.

The draw for the 2019 NEAFL fixture was released today, with the Lions set to play three curtain raisers at the Gabba, while also taking on Aspley in a huge grudge match on Easter Friday.

Similar to this year, the Lions will play each AFL affiliated side four times while playing each of the non-affiliated sides once.

NEAFL Operations Manager, Luke Gatti, said the fixture aims to build a successful 2018 season, which was the most competitive on record.

“Our goal for the 2019 NEAFL fixture was to enable our clubs to engage with their communities and supporters by adding extra Sunday games, and additional matches on Good Friday, Friday night and in Alice Springs,” he said. “We are pleased our traditional clashes in ANZAC Round between Redland and NT Thunder, and Friday night between Sydney Swans and Sydney University, were able to be maintained. “We are confident the 2019 fixture will allow for another competitive and exciting season for football in the northern states.”

Round 1 will commence on April 6, coinciding with Round 3 of the AFL Premiership Season, with the Grand Final to be held on September 14 or 15, during Week 2 of the AFL Finals.

All clubs will have three byes, with the NEAFL to retain a three-week finals series featuring the top six teams.

As the name of the thread implies; Lions Reserves and NEAFL discussion thread.

Barring injuries, we should have a pretty solid side running around this year.

Pretty handy side if all is well on the injury front.

Mitch Hinge, Sam Skinner, Cedric Cox.
Jacob Allison, Jack Payne, Matt Eagles.

Archie Smith, Ely Smith, Ryan Bastinac.
Ryan Lester, Brandon Starcevich, Rhys Matheison.

Thomas Berry, Toby Wooller, Lincoln McCarthy.
Corey Lyons, Josh Walker, Connor Ballenden.

Ben Keays, Noah Answerth, Connor McFadyen, Tom Joyce. > James Maddern, Tom Fullarton.

From a casual observers perspective from Lions games on YouTube and a few others I caught on NITV, the NEAFL standard improved overall IMO.

Helps that Southport bounced back and the likes of Aspley recruited Swallow and the ex AFL ruckman whose name escapes me.

Great for a young fellas to be playing in a more competitive environment.

Interesting that they've continued with us only playing the non-AFL teams once. Hopefully the Suns and GWS don't have the same amount of injuries as they did this year and we get more competitive games. Would've been good to play Southport more than once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope that we are able to field mostly AFL listed players, including a handful of experienced ones (Lester, Bastinac etc) most weeks with a couple of academy top-ups to give them experience and see what they can do. That seems to be the best developmentally for us.

It would be nice to get competitive games every week but when AFL teams get injuries and their NEAFL team gets raided for fit players I think those 12 games against the other AFL clubs are less useful - half a team of boys sometimes.

I think our best development comes from playing our youth against hardened senior players in the other teams like Aspley and Southport.

What do you think is happening with Casey Voss Rip? They must be keen on Keidean Coleman, look for him to improve significantly this year.

What do you think is happening with Casey Voss Rip? They must be keen on Keidean Coleman, look for him to improve significantly this year.

Probably gonna stay in Adelaide.

Geez, Redlands and Aspley continue to be our feeder clubs.
The are the only Brisbane clubs at NEAFL level so makes sense. Their junior clubs would have more to do with their development thus far.

How many of our ex academy kids stay in the game and play NEAFL or QAFL?

You would think most clubs should be full of ex academy kids by now.

Think these U19 players have been allowed to train and play NEAFL due to the changes to the national academy system. They don't get paid as far as I understand where they could get paid (and hold down another job) if they played with Redland or Aspley (or elsewhere) so training and playing with the Lions is a fairly big committment for them and their families. I heard that 2-3 players offered a position in this group declined and went elsewhere including interstate.

Think these U19 players have been allowed to train and play NEAFL due to the changes to the national academy system. They don't get paid as far as I understand where they could get paid (and hold down another job) if they played with Redland or Aspley (or elsewhere) so training and playing with the Lions is a fairly big committment for them and their families. I heard that 2-3 players offered a position in this group declined and went elsewhere including interstate.
Guess if you were at Uni or TAFE and receiving AusStudy or what ever they have now, it would be ok. Especially if still living at home.

Not sure it would be any more expensive than putting a kid through a year of high school.

Some kids/families might treat it as a gap year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back