2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ely tagging Viney will be a great lesson for him as LI said. You would hope he would try and model his football around a player of Viney's game seeing as they are both so strong. I know there were rumours about him not being able to settle very well but l hope we can keep him. Something just says to me that he will definitly be a player for us.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Be able to recruit whoever we want to fill those spots, especially to give the team balance. It would also be a potential springboard for players into the AFL draft as well.
So, paid to be on the list (even if just a separate NEAFL list)? Full time Lions Neafl players?
How many? We've fielded as few as about 10 or 12 listed players in the past, even having the coach pull on the boots.
On the flip side, if the list has no injuries, then someone isn't getting a game.

Not sure how the VFL does it, but presume non-AFL listed VFL players, maybe drop a grade, rather than miss out on playing, depending on the number of listed players are available.There has been discussion about getting rid of the rookie list, and extending the list in general, so you could add some players.
We have 47 listed players. For away games, we fly 24 seniors, leaving 23 players at home. Some NEAFL games we play a 24 man team.
If 8 are injured, we need 9 players, outside our current list.

Just not sure how we improve on the current system. Using top ups from other clubs benefits us, but to the detriment of those clubs, and possibly the player. While most might relish the opportunity to play with us, they probably enjoy playing with their own club more.
Not sure there's a real solution.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would work the same as the standalone AFL teams in the WAFL and SANFL
And how do they work? Do they just have an expanded list, with guys only able to play in the state league?
I just had a look at Peel Thunder, Freo's affiliate. Looks like they have 60 listed players. So there are a lot of guys missing out on a game, and more so when Dockers are thrown in there for a run.
For clubs that only have an affiliate to run around with, I presume some senior listed AFL players aren't getting a run either.
I note that with the announcement of WC getting a stand alone team in the WAFL, a major benefit will be getting more of their players a game. I presume that means some were previously missing out. So in that regard, we must have been streets ahead, with a stand alone team.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I just had a look at Peel Thunder, Freo's affiliate. Looks like they have 60 listed players.

I haven't looked at it, but you'd be better placed looking at West Coast (i.e. how many non-AFL listed players they have that will play for West Coast Reserves in the WAFL) instead given they're fielding a stand alone team in the WAFL this year.

Mu understanding is that unlike Peel (Freo's affiliate), West Coast won't have a reserves team play in the WAFL Reserves.

As an aside, the VFL no longer has a reserves comp so if a player that isn't on an AFL list that is playing for an AFL Reserves team in the VFL, they basically go and play at their club of choice in whichever comp that team is in i.e. VAFA, country, local league etc.

I dare say that West Coast's reserves players that aren't on their list will return to a local club as they do in the VFL.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I haven't looked at it, but you'd be better placed looking at West Coast (i.e. how many non-AFL listed players they have that will play for West Coast Reserves in the WAFL) instead given they're fielding a stand alone team in the WAFL this year.

Mu understanding is that unlike Peel (Freo's affiliate), West Coast won't have a reserves team play in the WAFL Reserves.

As an aside, the VFL no longer has a reserves comp so if a player that isn't on an AFL list that is playing for an AFL Reserves team in the VFL, they basically go and play at their club of choice in whichever comp that team is in i.e. VAFA, country, local league etc.

I dare say that West Coast's reserves players that aren't on their list will return to a local club as they do in the VFL.
Thanks.
Okay, so much bigger sport. Didn't consider WAFL reserves. I don't think non-AFL NEAFL clubs have reserves, do they? Dunno. So for an extended Lions list, they would have to find a QAFL team to let them play. I would think the game up here isn't strong enough to support the same sort of set up.

I couldn't find a list of players, but did find that the rules require WC to have a minimum of 15 players on their WAFL list.

I see the value of such a system. Just not sure, what becomes of 5 -10 players who don't get a game.

fanackapan

All Australian
Aug 4, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm reading 3pm Giffin Park vs Redland practice match for the Ressies this weekend.

Don't know whether there are restrictions on AFL-listed players that we might follow, but maybe a lineup a bit like:

Hinge Skinner Cox
Robertson Eagles Lester
Allison C.Lyons T.Berry
Cutler Wooller Christensen
Fullarton Ballenden Keays
A.Smith E.Smith Taylor
Madden Joyce Answerth McFadyen

(Might sit Bundy or someone as emergency for the ones, I guess)

Not many established midfielders (especially if they're keen to play Keays forward) - good opportunity for the rookies to take ownership and show something.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Listened in on the Redlands team huddle. They're super pumped for this second half.

Back