2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree . He just looks half casual . But I'd like to see more confidence and a better routine when he gets scoring opportunities . Also goes missing at times.

I always preferred him down back tbh , looks nervous playing forward

This happens to all forwards. Cameron has kicked 1 goal in 3 games and had a run of 12 games for only 4 goals in 2017 yet is hailed as a superstar who can do no wrong by most fans. McStay is not given the same leniency.

Not sure why it has been suggested for the past few weeks that there isn't anyone in the reserves that wouldn't make a difference to our side.

I've not missed any of the reserves games this year and fortunately saw them in the flesh down here in Melbourne in the pre-season and I've honestly thought that our list has a good 30 plus players that have genuine claims on being in the starting 22.

I'm not advocating for them to necessarily come into the seniors next week, but I'd like to see Hinge and C. Lyons get an opportunity at some point.

Overall though, Cutler and Taylor are way too good for this level.

This happens to all forwards. Cameron has kicked 1 goal in 3 games and had a run of 12 games for only 4 goals in 2017 yet is hailed as a superstar who can do no wrong by most fans. McStay is not given the same leniency.
Not by me.

As I say there's a key to McStay ,whether it's patience ,confidence or the position he plays I dunno but I tend to think he'd be better as the third banana a la Bradshaw

The difference is Cameron was in AA form last year.

Not sure why it has been suggested for the past few weeks that there isn't anyone in the reserves that wouldn't make a difference to our side.

I've not missed any of the reserves games this year and fortunately saw them in the flesh down here in Melbourne in the pre-season and I've honestly thought that our list has a good 30 plus players that have genuine claims on being in the starting 22.

I'm not advocating for them to necessarily come into the seniors next week, but I'd like to see Hinge and C. Lyons get an opportunity at some point.

Overall though, Cutler and Taylor are way too good for this level.

Pretty well thought out argument. I think my disagreement with you isn't about whether some players in the seconds could improve the senior team - there probably are. I just think that changes won't solve our most pressing issues of effort and defensive pressure. Plus I don't think it was unreasonable to avoid making wholesale changes on a 5 day break. I don't think making 4-5 changes to the team would have led to a win last night, but we'll never know for sure.

I'm expecting quite a few changes for the Suns game given injury and form.

We should talk about 2nds.
I agree Cameron had one good game something seems off.
Rayner not been great just spurts.
Linc had a bad game last night been the best of the 3.
Although I think 3 talls and 3 mark of the year players in the forward line too many.
Hipwood been good 3 games. Big O 2 good games, McStay had one good game against eagles.

So who in the 2nds gets a game.

The difference is Cameron was in AA form last year.

That was overplayed. Breust and Gunston both kicked 50 goals and Robbie Gray kicked 36 and averaged over 20 disposals a game. Cameron wasn't at that level.

Keays, Bastinac and Cutler have been extremely solid. Expect them all to come into the senior team.
Add Taylor to this all 4 been a step above although honestly they all should be they all played enough firsts. Cutler shown a lot.
Although not sure replacing say Bundy/Lyons/Matho with one will they be a difference.
Do we go for someone new and young and give them a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns could be a tough dogfight sort of a game which is why I favour stronger seasoned bodies like Eagles and Bastinac.

Cutler is a no brainer . We don't have anyone in the team who can do what he potentially brings if he's on.

If today's effort from him doesn't get him in I don't know what will. He's been a bit quieter in the second half but he was the best player on the ground to half time and was very selfless.

Problem I see with Cutler he is not really defensive. Which I think is how the pies killed us last night we had too many offensive only mids.
His ball use is great.

Pretty well thought out argument. I think my disagreement with you isn't about whether some players in the seconds could improve the senior team - there probably are. I just think that changes won't solve our most pressing issues of effort and defensive pressure. Plus I don't think it was unreasonable to avoid making wholesale changes on a 5 day break. I don't think making 4-5 changes to the team would have led to a win last night, but we'll never know for sure.

I'm expecting quite a few changes for the Suns game given injury and form.

I genuinely thought there would be changes for last night's game. Whilst we got over the line against Port, there were a lot of worrying signs in quite a few of the boys that night which were further exposed against Essendon. Even more reason to make changes on a 5 day break particularly when you have multiple guys in the twos that are experienced AFL players i.e .Cutler, Taylor, Lester, Bastinac and to a lesser extent Keays (today's game hasn't dispelled my thoughts about each of those lads that they couldn't play a role in the seniors).

I agree, I too doubt that any changes would've affected the result last night and if anything, it looked more between the ears than anything else, but who knows, group dynamics can change with different individuals involved.

Re this game, the lads have dropped off significantly this half which would surely disappoint the coaches.

I genuinely thought there would be changes for last night's game. Whilst we got over the line against Port, there were a lot of worrying signs in quite a few of the boys that night which were further exposed against Essendon. Even more reason to make changes on a 5 day break particularly when you have multiple guys in the twos that are experienced AFL players i.e .Cutler, Taylor, Lester, Bastinac and to a lesser extent Keays (today's game hasn't dispelled my thoughts about each of those lads that they couldn't play a role in the seniors).

I agree, I too doubt that any changes would've affected the result last night and if anything, it looked more between the ears than anything else, but who knows, group dynamics can change with different individuals involved.

Re this game, the lads have dropped off significantly this half which would surely disappoint the coaches.

Yeah intensity has dropped off - the weather hasn't been great but this is a bit of a training run now. Aspley have had better endeavour since haflway through the third quarter.

No one else was defensive so I can't see how it would be worse.

Think his ball use and linebreaking ability will help open up our ball movement.
dont disagree although if we go Lyons and Matho comes up.. if we replace Bundy with Cutler we be all downhill skiers.

Looking at this standard of this game we would be probably the major beneficiary of a national reserves comp (along with Suns, Swans and GWS)

I think we need someone to break the line from the backline I agree with Dylan I cannot see anyone who come in and make a big difference
We have a lot of players up and down.
Keays for me been the player who looks like he added more then last time in the firsts.
Basti, Cutler and Taylor we seen it all before.

Pity players like Berry, E Smith, Allison, Hinge been up and down this game.
Wooler been good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back