2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

that's not rain, that's monsoon!!!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Without O'Riordon they would be another 5 goals behind. Not sure why he's not in the AFL for the Swans.
Had a look on the Swans board the last week, neither are they.

ImAFreeMan

All Australian
Aug 29, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty sure Keayes had 4 and Bastinac 2 goals or am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoddart has given Keays a bit of a touch up today. Can't handle an AFL listed defender

Think Keays kicked three after you posted this.

Pls post this about McStay in the match thread.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
If we have a good injury run this season there's every chance our NEAFL team could go through the season undefeated, looks like we are class above all opposition at this stage.

NEAFL Lid officially off.
We haven't beaten Southport yet and they're the reigning Premiers. Let's wait and see if we do that. Depending on injuries, the AFl teams like Suns, Giants can be weaker that the local clubs. We really need to play Southport more than once a year. But it does look exciting at NEAFL level.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Think Keays kicked three after you posted this.

Pls post this about McStay in the match thread.

3 valuable goals once we were 10 goals up. Missed opportunity for Keays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Watched it delayed so just finished the match.
Anyone at the game was it greasy before the RAIN :)
Both sides looks messy and missed targets most of the day.

Really hard to tell glimpses from a few players and again Coleman showed class.
Cox missed a couple of games and looked rusty.
Alison got plenty and Keays got some after rain goals. Or was that Basti :) he he
Eagles again stood tall although you think Payne/Ballenden gone past him.
Weird the fringe players Basti, Matho, Bundy and N Robbo. They look a class above one minute then the next :)
As said disposal by both sides seems crap

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Stoddart has given Keays a bit of a touch up today. Can't handle an AFL listed defender

Yet he kicked 6 against GWS and another 4 against GC?

Stoddart played well, good on him - "cant handle a listed defender" is just another unfair and negative take on a guy who's been busting arse for the last 6 weeks. We get it, you dont rate the guy, but you seem to love to dig the feet into him when it comes to this kid. Still contributed all over the park anyway.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yet he kicked 6 against GWS and another 4 against GC?

Stoddart played well, good on him - "cant handle a listed defender" is just another unfair and negative take on a guy who's been busting arse for the last 6 weeks. We get it, you dont rate the guy, but you seem to love to dig the feet into him when it comes to this kid. Still contributed all over the park anyway.
I think he's a fairly mature young fella who's worked really hard on his game to make himself of value to the team.

I'm not convinced he's in our best 22 but if he does happen to get picked he won't let us down for effort . And he has taught himself how to sniff out a goal

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think he's a fairly mature young fella who's worked really hard on his game to make himself of value to the team.

I'm not convinced he's in our best 22 but if he does happen to get picked he won't let us down for effort . And he has taught himself how to sniff out a goal

The thing with Keays is that over the years he has been used as a mid in NEAFL and dominated only to be given a forward role in the AFL and then struggled in that role. I think it is great that he is getting a chance to develop his forward craft in the NEAFL so he is better prepared to take the next step in the AFL as a forward.

All reports so far are pretty promising

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I firmly believe Keays will be playing AFL. It will be either here with us or perhaps down the road at GC or interstate next year. His achievement in the NEAFL is being understated a little bit here. I cant recall any time recently a forward kicking 3+ goals a game at NEAFL level. His forward craft has improved immensely. His touch has become almost one-touch with minimal fumbles. He instinctively assesses for goal assists and if he cant quickly find one he backs himself to shoot for goal. He makes good decisions and has really improved. He can also tackle and his tackles rarely break compared to 2 years ago. I have no doubts his decision making and skills improvements will translate to the AFL level. The only issue is how can you fit Keays into the forward line already teaming with Rayner/McCarthy/Cameron whom have all kicked 10+ for the season. It would have to involve a structural change/dropping a tall or getting Rayner to play tall and then dropping a tall. I dont know if Keays has played wing much to replace someone like Taylor. He definitely would suit GCS as a foil to Sexton + Rankine (particularly if Ainsworth moves into the middle).

Zhesty

All Australian
Feb 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Broncos
Keays disposal by foot looks much better this year and seems a lot less rushed. Definitely a footballer playing with confidence atm.

A couple of beautiful Voss like handballs from Coleman.

Lyons and Eagles both had strong games.

I love Berry's endeavour and speed but he needs a bit of polishing up around the edges.

Great to see Cox back even if he had a quieter game. Had one very brave movement which impressed.

Cox, Fullerton, Bailey, Mcfadyen, Coleman. We have a few guys with real xfactor playing for our ressies this year.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As an avid follower of the draft I was a tad jealous seeing other clubs draftees playing and doing well. But I’ve had to adjust my thinking to the fact that we are at a position where we don’t need to do that and that having these boys develop and build their craft through the NEAFL is something that will benefit us in the long term. As others have noted our draftees have shown glimpses and this will improve and with greater consistency and drive to get their chance should mean that when they get the call up they will do quite well.
Big thanks to the reserve watchers and enjoy hearing their points of view and feedback to the rest of us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back