2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Joke post! Not writing anyone off, just underwhelmed by 2 of the recruits at the moment, seeing if anyone else has early question marks. You’re the joke!

Those 2 didn't have much of a preseason.

Any concerns over Ely Smith’s lack of impact at 2’s level. Joyce and Smith look off the pace. I know it is only early, but I wouldn’t hold much hope for either of them.

Both are more inside player that won’t feature as much in this style of game - one sided contest where we play more of an outside game. When the packs do form is when I’ve noticed both a little more. Smith is working into this game fairly nicely.

I reckon we'll rue not taking Coleman with our last pick or even a rookie given we'll be forced to pay to pay up this year.

But I agree, Coleman has shown way more than all draftees and I'd even include Answerth (not saying Answerth hasn't shown anything because he has), but Coleman has shown a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we'll rue not taking Coleman with our last pick or even a rookie given we'll be forced to pay to pay up this year.

But I agree, Coleman has shown way more than all draftees and I'd even include Answerth (not saying Answerth hasn't shown anything because he has), but Coleman has shown a lot.

Chicken and egg sort of dilemma but one wonders if he would have come on like he has this year had he been drafted? Might have been the motivational elixir he needed. Seems a foregone conclusion we'll look to get him on our list now at the end of the season and both team and player might have ended up being better served because of that un-drafted year.

Both are more inside player that won’t feature as much in this style of game - one sided contest where we play more of an outside game. When the packs do form is when I’ve noticed both a little more. Smith is working into this game fairly nicely.
Crikey ,they're just kids in their first year 6 games in

Smith has impressed me with some of the things he's done.

Never seen thread die so quickly did we win by 200 ?
I know just finished watching the second half came here and nothing :)
Score 24.11-155 to 10.6-66 so easy win, we won by a lot although pretty scrappy.
There are glimpses although not super clean footy, lots of just bang it on foot and kick forward.
Not so much pinpoint passes.. I watched most games now seeing they on youtube.
You see great passages. Although seeing we had 21 listed players and one that should of been :)
I would of thought we be a lot cleaner by foot. We miss way to many targets from players who played AFL grade.
Best players: N Robbo played 4 qtrs and 3 goals, T Berry did some good things, so did Matho.
Bundy, Basti and Taylor got a lot of touches not all effective. Archie I keep thinking worth a go in the seniors.
Keays got 3 again so too Wooller.
We run well and the skill level is above a team like Canberra.

Coleman continues to impress.

Keays continues to demand another chance in the top grade.

Basti, NRobbo, Taylor and Matho continue to show they are too good for this level but can they cement a best 22 spot?

A couple who have impressed me more and more
- Payne who just seems quite calm and covers the ground well. He needs more involvement but that may be as much about our dominance than anything else.

- Wooller seems really smart and makes good decisions. Very early days yet and against weaker opposition.

- Tom Berry has great involvement in games. Rarely seems to go missing for long periods.

- Fullarton looks like a young developing gun forward in the making. Great hands and moves well. Just something about his contested marking I really like. He doesn’t seem to need all the planets aligned to take a big grab like seems to be the case with McStay and to a degree, Hipwood. He just seems to get to position and make the mark happen through good reading of the ball and excellent hands. While he doesn’t have the real size to crash packs yet he still impacts contests.

With Fullaton thought Ballenden coming along as well.. Both not ready although wonder later this year.
I worry about Payne and Skinner you see glimpses although I hope both step up we have a few big players now.. Both young and had long term injures. Although Andrews, McStay, Hipwood and Walker to un seat and Adams still to come back maybe :)

Edit: thinking about it is it worth giving Ballenden a run earlier for Big O.. I love Oscar although been down lately and not sure he super mobile for a forward. Ballenden could ruck a bit? Martin do 85% instead of 70% he does now?

We often hear coach Fagan talk about McStay's role to crash packs and if he doesn't mark the ball bring it to ground, only Skinner offers that option Ballandene is more of a leading forward and doesn't have the body or nasty streak to crash a pack. Ballandene does help out a bit in the ruck but not sure he can hold it against and AFL opposition. Your right with Payne, I think he is the best big man prospect he is fast, mobile and does love the body contact but in the Reserves with them thrashing everyone he never gets near the ball which I suppose given his injury history is easing himself back into football. Fullerton, i've liked from his first game back last year, he has great hands which you would expect from a basketball and works well in traffic again from basketball it must develop peripheral vision. Probably needs another pre-season to put a bit more muscle on but yes may get a game late in the year. I do hope we see Adams at some stage given he can play both ends it will make for an interesting end of year with Eagles, Skinner, Payne, Adams, Archie Smith, Fullerton and Ballandene all siting in reserve grade as big men with Woller almost in that category

We often hear coach Fagan talk about McStay's role to crash packs and if he doesn't mark the ball bring it to ground, only Skinner offers that option Ballandene is more of a leading forward and doesn't have the body or nasty streak to crash a pack. Ballandene does help out a bit in the ruck but not sure he can hold it against and AFL opposition. Your right with Payne, I think he is the best big man prospect he is fast, mobile and does love the body contact but in the Reserves with them thrashing everyone he never gets near the ball which I suppose given his injury history is easing himself back into football. Fullerton, i've liked from his first game back last year, he has great hands which you would expect from a basketball and works well in traffic again from basketball it must develop peripheral vision. Probably needs another pre-season to put a bit more muscle on but yes may get a game late in the year. I do hope we see Adams at some stage given he can play both ends it will make for an interesting end of year with Eagles, Skinner, Payne, Adams, Archie Smith, Fullerton and Ballandene all siting in reserve grade as big men with Woller almost in that category

Worth noting that we would need a long term injury for Fullerton to get a game as he is a Cat B rookie.

Worth noting that we would need a long term injury for Fullerton to get a game as he is a Cat B rookie.
so someone out for 6 weeks I think they call long term. Not that I think he will play this year but I reckon someone could easily get injured late in the year if he has developed enough but still i think we won't see hime until latter next season. Ha ha maybe by then Roughead will be up here coaching him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back