Remove this Banner Ad

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
I saw most of the NEAFL at the ground yesterday and was not too far from the Lions subs bench. Just sone observations I would make:

- Coleman is a genuinely exciting prospect and continues to develop well. I was impressed how much of the hard slog team stuff he does, certainly not all show. He really digs in and plays all aspects of the role.

- Jack Payne is a monster and just has so much potential development left. I hope we take him slowly and just grow him into a big tough AFL defender. Worth persevering with, even for another 3 or 4 years.

- Tom Berry looks increasingly likely that he can make the step up to AFL level eventually, if not this year then next year. The same with Wooller and Joyce. I think all of them are developing well.

- Cutler played quite well, mind you so did everyone, but it was interesting that he got a few long talks from coaches when he came off a couple of times and once was miked up to the coaches upstairs. It seemed like they were really working on aspects of his game quite intensively. One discussion went for 2 or 3 minutes until he was due to go back on. I don’t know from what I saw that Cutler is knocking the door down for senior selection any more than three or four others.

- Allison is a nice mover and a very hard worker. He more than anyone was coming off absolutely spent from effort. He, Eagles, Bastinac and Walker seemed to run a lot of the structural setup on the field. Allison seems to be getting to that point where he just needs the opportunity to step up to AFL level. I think he has matured a lot as a player since he last got a chance.

- Eagles would be a nightmare to play against. He is big, surprisingly quick and he quite happily runs through anyone in his way. A really good team mate too from the way he gets around other players.

- The young guys stepping up were all quite good against a fairly young team. Noah Cumberland didn’t get a lot of it but is tough and hard at the ball. Reville showed some good signs. I thought Martyn was a little anonymous but that may be more his role. Griffiths didn’t get a lot of opportunity but laid a great tackle.

- Starcivich will take a bit of time to work his way back to his best.

- having said all of that, Sydney were really not that good and we seemed to have their measure pretty comfortably all game. On the bench it seemed to be all about coaching guys into understanding their roles at different phases and getting their positional play right because we were a fair bit better than them across the park.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Last week I despite the win I was not all that impressed with most of the guys. This week though I thought there were a few performances that I liked quite a bit.

My thoughts:

Joyce - was BOG for me. Was consistent and provided some nice grunt through the middle. Easily the best game he has played for us imo.

Allison - the difference between the last two weeks and earlier in the season is just effort. He is working much harder than earlier in the season and is playing much better for it. He would be the one I would be picking for the firsts next week. He was a bit scrappy on occasions but overall a very good game.

Payne - quiet in the first half but excellent in the second. I think all of Payne, Eagles and Walker would be playing AFL for most teams. I would like to see Payne and Eagles get a chance at some stage.

Skinner - he is naturally a defender and struggled up forward earlier in the year but was good again this week. Took a few nice marks and did a good job of providing a contest. Getting the feel of the game again after his time off for injury.

Coleman - is a really good prospect and continues to impress. He was back up forward this week and was dangerous whenever he was around the ball. If other teams are paying attention he is going to cost us a first round pick.

Reville - did not get much of it the first three quarters but I was very impressed with what he did. He was very clean with very fast hands and excellent decision making. He made things happen whenever he got the ball. He picked up 7 or so disposals in the last quarter which was encouraging that he can find it when he has the opportunity. I am happy to say we have a new Special Bruce.

McFayden - might have been his best game for us. Got involved much more this week and cracked in well.

Wooller - was a little in and out of the game but when he was in the game he was good. I think he got plenty of the ball but tended to be in bursts. Quality was good and I do not think he is far away from a game in the firsts.

Berry - played a fair bit forward which I don't think hugely suits him but he did show some nice things throughout the day and did enough to keep his name in consideration. Showed some really nice pace a couple of times yesterday which always helps you get a chance.

Cutler - did not take over the game like I have seen him do at this level but he would still have been in the top 4 or 5 out there.

Fullerton - again did not do much up forward but this week he moved up the field more and he showed a fair bit as a mobile half forward I thought. He showed some nice mobility and running ability.

Starcevich - looked a fair way off.

Lyon - was ordinary with the ball.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Last week I despite the win I was not all that impressed with most of the guys. This week though I thought there were a few performances that I liked quite a bit.

My thoughts:

Joyce - was BOG for me. Was consistent and provided some nice grunt through the middle. Easily the best game he has played for us imo.

Allison - the difference between the last two weeks and earlier in the season is just effort. He is working much harder than earlier in the season and is playing much better for it. He would be the one I would be picking for the firsts next week. He was a bit scrappy on occasions but overall a very good game.

Payne - quiet in the first half but excellent in the second. I think all of Payne, Eagles and Walker would be playing AFL for most teams. I would like to see Payne and Eagles get a chance at some stage.

Skinner - he is naturally a defender and struggled up forward earlier in the year but was good again this week. Took a few nice marks and did a good job of providing a contest. Getting the feel of the game again after his time off for injury.

Coleman - is a really good prospect and continues to impress. He was back up forward this week and was dangerous whenever he was around the ball. If other teams are paying attention he is going to cost us a first round pick.

Reville - did not get much of it the first three quarters but I was very impressed with what he did. He was very clean with very fast hands and excellent decision making. He made things happen whenever he got the ball. He picked up 7 or so disposals in the last quarter which was encouraging that he can find it when he has the opportunity. I am happy to say we have a new Special Bruce.

McFayden - might have been his best game for us. Got involved much more this week and cracked in well.

Wooller - was a little in and out of the game but when he was in the game he was good. I think he got plenty of the ball but tended to be in bursts. Quality was good and I do not think he is far away from a game in the firsts.

Berry - played a fair bit forward which I don't think hugely suits him but he did show some nice things throughout the day and did enough to keep his name in consideration. Showed some really nice pace a couple of times yesterday which always helps you get a chance.

Cutler - did not take over the game like I have seen him do at this level but he would still have been in the top 4 or 5 out there.

Fullerton - again did not do much up forward but this week he moved up the field more and he showed a fair bit as a mobile half forward I thought. He showed some nice mobility and running ability.

Starcevich - looked a fair way off.

Lyon - was ordinary with the ball.

I would agree with pretty much all of this. Allison really worked hard.

Other clubs will almost certainly be asking Payne’s manager some questions over the next year or two I would think; a 100kg, 197cm 19-year-old who is pretty mobile and has decent pace will attract a bit of attention before too long. He reads the game fairly well also and from what I have seen is pretty fearless. He looks like the poster boy of the modern day key defender.

Other clubs will almost certainly be asking Payne’s manager some questions over the next year or two I would think; a 100kg, 197cm 19-year-old who is pretty mobile and has decent pace will attract a bit of attention before too long. He reads the game fairly well also and from what I have seen is pretty fearless. He looks like the poster boy of the modern day key defender.
He will replace Walker in the team before long!

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It might be a good week to bring the Payne
Has Payne got the tank yet though? Has missed a hell of a lot of footy up until recently, and curnow and McKay are pretty mobile.

He is definitely the future, just not if he will quite have the match fitness yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nice to meet you yesterday, S5! Some cracking shots in there. Love the look on the Swans bloke in this'un.

DSC_0188 by Phillip Gould, on Flickr
Thanks Mr Ripper I am sure you have much better shots than i can produce.
If i was funny enough i could have added a caption.
He was just trying hard like a lot of their young players.
I notice Walker always has his tongue out.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jeez, Charlie AND Coleman up forward could terrorize opposition defenders.

I've loved Coleman down back even more than him up forward. Serious speed and class. Some of the goals he has kicked this season streaming out of defence have been amazing.

Needs to put on size to stick tackles though - a fair few of his got broken yesterday.

dizzysquizz

Senior List
May 16, 2016
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

add to that a real quality user of the ball

oWKd3En.png

Vb1PG0T.png

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I like the look of young Thomas Berry's stats- 21 disposals, 10 tackles, 6 marks, 5 inside 50s and a goal, he passes the eye test as well, would love to see him get 2-3 games in the seniors if an opportunity opens up.

grimlock Every time we play the Swans, Rose is almost BOG. Why hasn't he played more senior games?
Previously he didn't chase and tackle off the ball enough, but I think he has improved that area of his game. The other reason I can think of is that sometimes he is too selfish and tries a low percentage play such as kicking for goal at a tough angle instead of passing it.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Previously he didn't chase and tackle off the ball enough, but I think he has improved that area of his game. The other reason I can think of is that sometimes he is too selfish and tries a low percentage play such as kicking for goal at a tough angle instead of passing it.

All traits that can be coached out of him. If he doesn't crack the first team at Sydney I wonder if he might be worth pursuing in trade/FA as a speculative option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back