2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Keays is a far better footballer now than he was when he was a semi-regular in the seniors, but, y’know, opportunities.
Two years ago he'd be 20th. This year he's 26th with the trades and drafting.

Another massive win, close until half time but when we put the foot down it was all go. Some observations.
Ben Keays - still improving and hasn't hit the ceiling yet. Can see why he is so regularly the emergency he is first in line at the seniors door.
Cox - was worried he may not be with us much longer - but not now, his ceiling is high and he is living up to the 'junior silk tag'
Ballandene - starting to use his size more and seems to be enjoying the contact. Good back up as a key forward.
Skinner is hot on McStays tail. Plays so similar in crashing the packs and also kicks similar - a bit inaccurate. skinner also tackles like a mad man.
Ely Smith - Captain for the day, now showing why he was our first pick, he was tough and can see the big inside midfielder in him now.
Tom Berry - just time, fast and hard at it, loves to tackle, classy user. Maybe a bit more size and he is a beauty.
Wooller - Rayner's understudy. Just waiting for an opening in the seniors but may have to find another position unless he is happy to sit until an injury to debut.
Payne - man mountain, like Skinner if he gets hold of you your going to get hurt. Quick between the ears and quick physically for such a big kid.

Everyone played well, you could write encouraging things about them all. We put the foot on their neck and didn't let up, didn't offer any cheap late scores when the game was over. Great team performance.

It's a no-brainer if the ideal is a level playing field.
Might be a good thing to help with retention for the Northern clubs too!
Would help a little for the boys playing reserves to get to see family a little more often!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I ******* love watching us PUMP Southport. fu** them.

Back in my footy days, I made my one and only grand final by pumping Southport on their home deck. It was a thing of beauty.

I mean that were last years Premiers. :cool:

Anyway, if you ever wanted to see what a well drilled professional team would do another team you just need to watch the second half of this game.

Back in my footy days, I made my one and only grand final by pumping Southport on their home deck. It was a thing of beauty.
Played 2 yrs of colts footy at the Sharks and we didn’t lose a game, not fair really when we basically came from all of the other GC teams and we were all ex-Victorians. Ahhh, good times!

For a team with such a ridiculous percentage the goal spread has been great. Can't remember too many times someone has kicked more than 4.

Some interesting stats for the season so far (neafl.com.au). Keays far and away our leading goalkicker with 32.15 from just 11 games. Next best is Wooller with 24.12 from 15. And while we're on goalkickers, two ex-Lions are leading overall - Hammelmann with 57.45 from 16 games and Jono Freeman 38.37 from 15.
Wooller showing his versatility with third placing in total possessions for Lions (behind C Lyons and Basti) and also leading marks with 120 (next best Lyons with 92). Not surprisingly Tom Berry is killing the tackle count with 98 from Lyons (46) and Basti and Ely (39 each).

Some interesting stats for the season so far (neafl.com.au). Keays far and away our leading goalkicker with 32.15 from just 11 games. Next best is Wooller with 24.12 from 15. And while we're on goalkickers, two ex-Lions are leading overall - Hammelmann with 57.45 from 16 games and Jono Freeman 38.37 from 15.
Wooller showing his versatility with third placing in total possessions for Lions (behind C Lyons and Basti) and also leading marks with 120 (next best Lyons with 92). Not surprisingly Tom Berry is killing the tackle count with 98 from Lyons (46) and Basti and Ely (39 each).

Wonder if Hammer might make the move and try and help his AFL chances in a stronger state league.

Wonder if Hammer might make the move and try and help his AFL chances in a stronger state league.
3.5 goals and 6.5 scoring shots a game is a fair effort. One of his issues at the higher level (apart from playing on better defenders) might be the defensive side of his game which may not have improved. Averaging 1 tackle per game.

doxpFoz.png

L1WOEoQ.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back