2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we know yet if the NEAFL sides Preliminary Final will be a curtain raiser to this game?

Nope. South Pine Sports Complex, Brendale, on Sunday.

In mid-2018 Tom Fullarton made a huge gamble. He was a professional basketballer for the Brisbane Bullets but decided his heart still lay with footy. The Lions decided to take a punt on the former Hyundai Help for Kids Academy player as a Category B Rookie. The decision has paid dividends with Fullarton’s game only going from strength to strength over the past 18 months.
In 2019 he played all NEAFL games and booted 20 goals.
“It’s been really enjoyable to play every game,” he told lions.com.au.
“I’ve had my ups and downs, but I’m been pretty happy with some of the games I’ve played,” he said.
“It’s put me in good stead to have a good pre-season going into next year.”
Fullarton has been an integral part in the NEAFL side’s incredible success in 2019. The group went the entire season undefeated, creating history while at it.
“Winning is the best part of footy,” he said.
His game since he first arrived has improved dramatically, with the tall, agile forward looking more and more comfortable on the field each match.
“I’ve just been trying to get better at everything I can,” he said.
“I’ve been working really hard in the gym…and also just learning from all of the other players.
“We’ve got a great core group of older guys here so I’ve just been trying to pick their brains.”
The NEAFL side will play their preliminary final next Sunday afternoon at South Pine Sports Complex, Brendale.

Do we know yet if the NEAFL sides Preliminary Final will be a curtain raiser to this game?

There’s no way they would want the ground chopped up before final.

Are there any restrictions on how many AFL listed players we can field for finals?

16.2 FINALS ELIGIBILITY
(a) Any under 18 academy player/under 19 approved academy player is not required to play any Competition home and away matches to qualify.
(b) Any listed player must have played a minimum of three (3) Competition home and away Matches for the club to qualify to play in the Competition finals series.
(c) In the event a listed player has played five (5) matches or more in the AFL, he must have played at least nine (9) Competition home and away Matches to qualify to play in the Competition finals series.
(d) Notwithstanding anything within these Rules, should an AFL Club listed player not be selected to play for his AFL Club in an AFL match, that player will be eligible to play in the Competition finals series Match with the AFL Club Reserves team that same weekend, irrespective of whether or not he has played in a Competition Match that season.
(e) A primary or rookie listed AFL player is eligible to play in the Competition finals series Match where there is a bye/week off in the AFL competition provided he has not played in an AFL team in the week prior to the Competition finals match, irrespective of whether or not he has played in a Competition Match that season. For clarity, this means that any primary or rookie listed AFL player who did play AFL in the week prior to the Competition finals match is not eligible.
16.3 DEFINITIONS
For clarity a “listed player” is defined as an AFL Primary or Rookie List Player (includes Category A and Category B rookies).

16.2 FINALS ELIGIBILITY
(a) Any under 18 academy player/under 19 approved academy player is not required to play any Competition home and away matches to qualify.
(b) Any listed player must have played a minimum of three (3) Competition home and away Matches for the club to qualify to play in the Competition finals series.
(c) In the event a listed player has played five (5) matches or more in the AFL, he must have played at least nine (9) Competition home and away Matches to qualify to play in the Competition finals series.
(d) Notwithstanding anything within these Rules, should an AFL Club listed player not be selected to play for his AFL Club in an AFL match, that player will be eligible to play in the Competition finals series Match with the AFL Club Reserves team that same weekend, irrespective of whether or not he has played in a Competition Match that season.
(e) A primary or rookie listed AFL player is eligible to play in the Competition finals series Match where there is a bye/week off in the AFL competition provided he has not played in an AFL team in the week prior to the Competition finals match, irrespective of whether or not he has played in a Competition Match that season. For clarity, this means that any primary or rookie listed AFL player who did play AFL in the week prior to the Competition finals match is not eligible.
16.3 DEFINITIONS
For clarity a “listed player” is defined as an AFL Primary or Rookie List Player (includes Category A and Category B rookies).
I wonder if point (e) above - means that Cedric Cox will be ineligible for the finals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strong team

BRISBANE

B:
22. M Hinge 14. J Walker 35. R Lester
HB: 19. J Allison 40. J Payne 18. N Robertson
C: 26. T Cutler 8. E Smith 34. T Wooller
HF: 38. C Ballenden 47. T Fullarton 1. B Keays
F: 13. T Berry 21. S Skinner 28. L Taylor
R: 44. A Smith 4. R Bastinac 39. C Lyons
Int: 20. C Cox 41. M Eagles 36. R Mathieson 45. C McFadyen 37. B Starcevich
Emg: 51. K Coleman 54. N Cumberland 42. J Madden 52. W Martyn

In: 37. B Starcevich 36. R Mathieson 41. M Eagles 20. C Cox
Out: 51. K Coleman 54. N Cumberland 42. J Madden 52. W Martyn (all omitted)

Slightly awkward that an AFL listed player needs to have "the talk" about being dropped from the reserves, but thus is the state of the injury list.

Win tomorrow and we'll be dropping 7 listed players for 6 top-ups; three of whom won't have played for us for several weeks. Daft situation, but them's the rules.
The sooner we're done with this substandard competition and in a real reserves league, the better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back