Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
With Coleman we have the equivalent of 17 listed players. We will beat Southport, it's only one or 2 top up players on the field at a time. I'm confident. We will be Premiers.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
The match committee faces a tough task this week in omitting 6 players (the 7th player will be promoted to the ones in place of Mitch Robinson) from today's team and more if it considers Joyce and Madden who didn't play today, so team selection will be just as interesting for the Reserves this week to see who the "outs" are for the GF.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
Coleman is the only academy / top up player that has consistently played for us that I know off the top of my head.

I know 4-5 others have played the odd game here and there, but it is ridiculous that they have to come in and potentially get a medal despite barely contributing the team all year.

Mr Ripper who would you think are the other 5-6 players academy / top up players that will likely come in (Coleman is an obvious in)?
Keidean Coleman, Noah Cumberland, Will Martyn, Cody Stackleberg (who just played for Aspley) Justin Currie and Ethan Hunt are 6 possibles. Tom Matthews, Jesse Quint and Darcy Marsh also possible. At least 4 of them have played for us fairly recently. It's not such a bad situation for us at all.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
Having a very premature crack at this exercise, a tough one mind you, but my chosen squad of 17 (one to come out for the injured Mitch Robinson) for the GF would be:

Keays, Bastinac, Berry, Walker, Robertson, Cox, Skinner, Cutler, Taylor, Lester, Mathieson, Starcevich, Ballenden, Lyons, Payne, Smith, Eagles.

Effectively my outs from today's game are: Eli Smith, Hinge, Wooller, Fullarton, McFadyen and Allison and Joyce and Madden also wouldn't be considered.

Some guys are going to be really stiff to miss.
A good selection. I think we will need more run, with Allison and Hinge likely to be in the 16 for mine. Nothing to do with form, but one of Payne or Eagles to miss, doubt we will need 3 tall backs. I'd be putting Payne on ice for next year, but as he might not be with us in 2020, it might be Eagles.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
A good selection. I think we will need more run, with Allison and Hinge likely to be in the 16 for mine. Nothing to do with form, but one of Payne or Eagles to miss, doubt we will need 3 tall backs. I'd be putting Payne on ice for next year, but as he might not be with us in 2020, it might be Eagles.
Good points.

I just went through and listed who I thought our best 17 were without trying to put them in a team, but you’re right, between Eagles, Payne and say Ballenden, one probably needs to come out.

Even then, omitting the likes of Wooller and / or Fullerton given their 2019 form is tough too. I don’t envy the selectors decision this week at all.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
You would think we would want to select the top ups ASAP so they can at least get a few training runs in together before the GF, do we know if it's on Saturday or Sunday yet?

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Around the state leagues: Who's starring in the finals?
State league affiliate: Brisbane (NEAFL)
This weekend: Brisbane v Sydney - Sunday, September 8, 1pm, South Pine Sports Complex

Ryan Bastinac has put his hand up to be hamstrung clubmate Mitch Robinson's senior replacement with 39 disposals and two goals in a best-on-ground performance in the NEAFL.

The undefeated Lions marched into the Grand Final with a 50-point win over Sydney, with Corey Lyons (29 possessions), Jacob Allison (28), Rhys Mathieson (27) and Nick Robertson (21) also prominent.

Defender Josh Walker took 12 marks and had 28 touches in a commanding display.

Among the other familiar names to fire were experienced duo Lewis Taylor (25, two goals) and Ryan Lester (25) as Brisbane prepares to face reigning premier Southport.

Regardless of the competitions strength, it's a pretty amazing achievement for our NEAFL players. To have the mental fortitude to perform at a winning level week in week out is much easier said than done.

kvIXevq.png

RTkazm1.png

Nick Robertson without a tackle I wonder if he’s checked out as well
Watched the game. He has not.

I think it might've been a quirk this week, as I'm sure I remember big bumps and herding guys out of bounds, but neither would be a tackle.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I think it might've been a quirk this week, as I'm sure I remember big bumps and herding guys out of bounds, but neither would be a tackle.
Yes watch the game as well. NRobbo attacked every contest with intent. Played the wing opposite where the wind was taking most of the play. (The thin side?) you could see he was concentrating on keeping position in the structure. Smokey to replace MRobbo, if not him I would go for Matho. Replace grunt with grunt.

Great respect for the way Basti has kept his head up and put in every week even though he must know he is on the outer. However I don’t think he is brings what MRobbo does.

Good to know

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Click on the tweet.

Answered in the discussion.

It’s in the NEAFL by laws.
Whoever wrote and then approved such by-laws should be sacked; absolutely ridiculous.

Where a non-AFL club plays an AFL club, the GF will be played in the region of the non-AFL club regardless of ladder position. Still doesn't mean it can't be played at Metricon.

Oh and top of that, you can't play 6-7 of your players because that is unfair too. :rolleyes:

Absolute joke of a competition. The sooner we can get out of it the better. The fact 6-7 of our players are going to be denied the opportunity to play and possible win a GF because of these absurd rules is heartbreaking for them and downright unfair and wrong.

Perhaps the NEAFL should also include that our players can't kick / handball with their preferred foot / hand.:mad:

Perhaps the NEAFL should also include that our players can't kick / handball with their preferred foot / hand.:mad:

Don't give them any ideas - they'll hire Daniel Gorringe as CEO and he'll refuse to issue Lions players with kicking licences.

Still doesn't mean it can't be played at Metricon.

QAFL finals have been booked at Metricon fro this Saturday for quite a while now. After Colts, Reserves and Seniors, I'd imagine the ground might be chopped up for the day after.

Back