2nds 2019 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit surprised about Payne but it looks like we picked our best team.

NT Thunder have pulled the plug. Might be time to revert to the QAFL/AFL Sydney/AFL Canberra competitions.

At this point the Lions, Suns, Giants & Swans might very well be better off creating their own 4 team reserves league. Play each throughout the year from early March until mid September. Eagles, Freo, Crows reserves teams welcome should WAFL/SANFL push them out.

At this point the Lions, Suns, Giants & Swans might very well be better off creating their own 4 team reserves league. Play each throughout the year from early March until mid September. Eagles, Freo, Crows reserves teams welcome should WAFL/SANFL push them out.
I would honestly welcome an eight team reserves comp that consisted of the teams from the four northern states plus those AFL reserves teams out of SA and WA.

Gives you 14 games plus you can maybe have an additional rivalry round where you play an additional two games against your same state team giving each team 16 games plus finals.

Would be great for giving our boys real travel experience to traditional footy states on SA and WA, not to mention a better level of competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we have left out all our first year players, and taking as experienced team as possible in.

Pretty sure Eagles, Ballenden, Smith, Lester, Bastinac, Keays all played in our last NEAFL Championship team.

So we have left out all our first year players, and taking as experienced team as possible in.

Correct and Joyce and Madden, who didn't make last week's team, with the former out injured but available for selection this week, also not making the team.

Goes to show how impressive Answerth's season is that he is the only first year playing this week; a semi-final in the AFL no less.

S

Pretty sure Eagles, Ballenden, Smith, Lester, Bastinac, Keays all played in our last NEAFL Championship team.
Allison and Lyons did too. Not sure about Lester and Basti. Think they were playing more seniors then. Don’t think they played. Keays best on ground.

NT Thunder have pulled the plug. Might be time to revert to the QAFL/AFL Sydney/AFL Canberra competitions.

Interesting to consider the WA and SA teams as potential dance partners for reserves. I was thinking their state leagues would try harder to keep them, so their leagues remain relevant and interesting to more supporters. And consequently my thoughts were around convincing the Victorian clubs to dismantle the VFL in favour of an Eastern States reserve comp. But maybe I have it wrong and the SA and WA clubs are an easier sell.

Bit surprised about Payne but it looks like we picked our best team.

With the exception of Robertson all those omitted will clearly be at the club next year. Perhaps the coaches want to see others under the pressure of a grand final as input to list decisions that need to be made over coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The club has got the selections wrong! The purpose of the seconds is to provide development for our next tier of players. The best experience players can have in the second tier is to play in the pressure environment of a grand final. We have dominated a second rate competition all year with guys who, with the greatest of respect, Are borderline best 22. These guys have done the right thing and put in, but have carried the side and generally been our best players. This was an ideal opportunity to put pressure of guys like Smith and Wooler, who may develop into best 22 players. Some one had to miss out and I feel for whoever doesn’t get a game. But the decision should have been made on what is best for the future of the club. And it doesn’t look like it was.

The club has got the selections wrong! The purpose of the seconds is to provide development for our next tier of players. The best experience players can have in the second tier is to play in the pressure environment of a grand final. We have dominated a second rate competition all year with guys who, with the greatest of respect, Are borderline best 22. These guys have done the right thing and put in, but have carried the side and generally been our best players. This was an ideal opportunity to put pressure of guys like Smith and Wooler, who may develop into best 22 players. Some one had to miss out and I feel for whoever doesn’t get a game. But the decision should have been made on what is best for the future of the club. And it doesn’t look like it was.

Yes and no. I don't think one game makes a massive difference. Perhaps they're using it as a way of saying thanks for the hard work of guys who have played there all year and won't be on the list going forward. They know those other guys are going to be there next year so they've chosen them to miss out this time knowing they will get another crack next year.

Regardless of the reason i'm confident that it would have been communicated to the guys who missed exactly the reasons. Yes they miss out on playing in a GF which is certainly nothing to sneeze at at any level, conversely they're guaranteed to be fit and ready to go for the pre season now as well, which is important coming into your second year of footy.

Either way I don't think it is a massive thing, whichever way they would have gone.

Like any grand final, I would expect to field the strongest team. For those younger blokes who are playing, and the older blokes (whether they stay on or not) it is right that they are rewarded with a win. Fielding the best team provides the best pathway for the players to be rewarded.

I'm not sure who you're suggesting should miss out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back