List Mgmt. 2019 List Changes, Contract Status, Draft Picks Etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably overlooking the benefit of keeping a guy like Dunn on the list here, even just for a year as depth and an on-field leader/coach in the VFL. I think Keane and Kelly and even Madgen could really flourish playing alongside him in defence, much like Grundy and Witts did when they had Hudson there to guide them.

Maybe I am. He will definitely provide that should he manage to take the last spot on the list. Not sure it’s enough of an argument and clearly we won’t agree.

Probably overlooking the benefit of keeping a guy like Dunn on the list here, even just for a year as depth and an on-field leader/coach in the VFL. I think Keane and Kelly and even Madgen could really flourish playing alongside him in defence, much like Grundy and Witts did when they had Hudson there to guide them.

At the moment, I don't see how you could possibly justify retaining a 32 year old who has been injured for 18 months and is still injured (unless we were talking about a Buddy level player), but if he gets himself fit and healthy...

This is why I'd love us to convince Dunn into playing on in the VFL with a view to taking him in the midseason draft if we have a pick and he's recovered and playing well enough. He may or may not be interested, but it'd be an excellent scenario for us if he was interested, and for him he's still a chance of finally playing some finals footy for us or maybe some other club will take him and he'll get a shot at the finals for them. Has he ever played in a final?

Last edited:
At the moment, I don't see how you could possibly justify retaining a 32 year old who has been injured for 18 months and is still injured (unless we were talking about a Buddy level player), but if he gets himself fit and healthy...

This is why I'd love us to convince Dunn into playing on in the VFL with a view to taking him in the midseason draft if we have a pick and he's recovered and playing well enough. He may or may not be interested, but it'd be an excellent scenario for us if he was interested, and for him he's still a chance of finally playing some finals footy for us or maybe some other club will take him and he'll get a shot at the finals for them. Has he ever played in a final?
How many AFL players forced in to retirement stay on at their VFL affiliate? It’s an incredibly unlikely scenario tbh, and frankly I’d be more comfortable knowing we had Dunn available as a break glass in case of emergency type player.
And if we’re honest here, what’s the likelihood of actually picking up a rookie that’s going to make it with our final rookie pick? We have a reasonable record in the rookie draft, but the odds are still incredibly low.

How many AFL players forced in to retirement stay on at their VFL affiliate? It’s an incredibly unlikely scenario tbh, and frankly I’d be more comfortable knowing we had Dunn available as a break glass in case of emergency type player.
And if we’re honest here, what’s the likelihood of actually picking up a rookie that’s going to make it with our final rookie pick? We have a reasonable record in the rookie draft, but the odds are still incredibly low.
The midseason draft may change the likelihood of players playing on. If he doesn't want to give up on AFL yet, the midseason draft is likely to be his only hope and if we've told him that we'll consider him, we're his best chance.

In terms of late rookie picks, I'd be looking at high performing state league or dfa blokes for depth. What's better depth, a fit 25 year old quality Waafl player, or a 32 year old AFL player who is yet to get back from knee injury? Its debatable, but I'd take the fit guy.

Last edited:

The odds of a rookie being a ten year player are infinitely higher than the odds of Dunn being one.

We have very few spots that are going to be opened to youngsters this year. Of course they are hit and miss but Dunn’s spot is one good opportunity to grab one

Agree. Broomhead continues his underwhelming career into a 9th season. Never looked like getting a game in the seniors. It’s only a rookie spot but it takes away a spot that I think may have been used by someone with greater potential

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
9 seasons!! * Tarkyn Lockyer only played twelve.

I’m astounded we’ve had him for so long with so little output if that’s true

The odds of a rookie being a ten year player are infinitely higher than the odds of Dunn being one.
The odds are s**t, why would we take a <5% chance of picking up a 10 year player with our last pick in the rookie draft when we’re in our window and can retain competent depth that will benefit our developing key defenders at the same time?
We have very few spots that are going to be opened to youngsters this year. Of course they are hit and miss but Dunn’s spot is one good opportunity to grab one
Disagree again for the reasons stated above. Play the odds when you’re in the window.

9 seasons!! fu** Tarkyn Lockyer only played twelve.

I’m astounded we’ve had him for so long with so little output if that’s true
It’s not. Broomhead was taken in the 2012 draft, same as Grundy. He will be in his 8th (free agency) year next year.

It’s not. Broomhead was taken in the 2012 draft, same as Grundy. He will be in his 8th (free agency) year next year.

Actually he was a free agent this year. New rules of free agency are that any player that is delisted and re-rookied by their club becomes a free agent.

No!: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/L/Lynden_Dunn.html
1573472115105.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That much footy and no finals! The Melbourne years - did he miss any through not being selected/injured or did they just never play finals during his time at the club?
He was at Melbourne in 2005 and 2006 when they played finals (he was drafted at the end of 2004), but he debuted in 2006, and wasn't picked after rd. 19 that year. The Demons didn't play finals for the rest of his time at the club (2007-16).

He was at Melbourne in 2005 and 2006 when they played finals (he was drafted at the end of 2004), but he debuted in 2006, and wasn't picked after rd. 19 that year. The Demons didn't play finals for the rest of his time at the club (2007-16).
Considering they nearly merged with Melbourne holding the dominant hand, an interesting stat would be what's happened more often over the last 40 years Melbourne making finals or Hawthorn winning the flag?

Considering they nearly merged with Melbourne holding the dominant hand, an interesting stat would be what's happened more often over the last 40 years Melbourne making finals or Hawthorn winning the flag?
Over the last 30 seasons (1990-2019):
Hawthorn 5 Premierships
Melbourne 10 finals appearances (no. of years in finals)

I'm pretty sure the Hawthorn fans would be glad that merger never went ahead! Not sure about the Melbourne folks!

Hawthorn 5 Premierships
Melbourne 10 finals appearances (10 years in finals)

I'm pretty sure the Hawthorn fans would be glad that merger never went ahead! Not sure about the Melbourne folks!
If you go back to 1965, it's dead even. 12 Hawthorn Premierships vs 12 Melbourne years in the finals. Bloody Hell. Incredible and awful.

Hawthorn 5 Premierships

If I was a Melbourne supporter, I'd be burning a Don Scott effigy every day.

If I was a Melbourne supporter, I'd be burning a Don Scott effigy every day.
Just as the Hawthorn supporters should have a poster of him on their wall! He may have been one of the most annoying tv commentators of all time, but he did the right thing by his club. It must be tough for them to see their club struggle year after year, but I suspect the Melbourne fans would still prefer it the way it is, and they would live in hope that their day will finally come! Which it surely will!

Just as the Hawthorn supporters should have a poster of him on their wall! He may have been one of the most annoying tv commentators of all time, but he did the right thing by his club. It must be tough for them to see their club struggle year after year, but I suspect the Melbourne fans would still prefer it the way it is, and they would live in hope that their day will finally come! Which it surely will!
Yep. I'm a bit young to remember him as a player and didn't like him as a commentator, but for all the Hawthorn greats that they've had in recent times, they shouldn't build statues about Hudson, Matthews, Dunstall, Brereton, Tuck, Platten, Knights, Langford, Hodge, Buddy, Cyril or Mitchell, they should be building Don Scott statues.

The odds are s**t, why would we take a <5% chance of picking up a 10 year player with our last pick in the rookie draft when we’re in our window and can retain competent depth that will benefit our developing key defenders at the same time?

Disagree again for the reasons stated above. Play the odds when you’re in the window.

is Dunn really competent depth? Will be 33 and coming off 2 knee recos, I don't think he'll be able to perform at AFL standard at all.

is Dunn really competent depth? Will be 33 and coming off 2 knee recos, I don't think he'll be able to perform at AFL standard at all.
It's a fair call and I wouldn't pick him up unless he plays some decent VFL beforehand, but most of us had the same view when we first recruited him.

Hawthorn 5 Premierships

Melbourne fans love the misery, it gives them a good reason to have a whinge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back