VFL 2019 List Changes for VFL Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad that Chippendale has stuck around, and it seems he's made a decent enough impression at the club. I'm not surprised that Tahana has chosen to try his luck elsewhere - for someone who was regarded as a reasonable draft chance a few years back things have not worked out well for him!

I'm glad that Chippendale has stuck around, and it seems he's made a decent enough impression at the club. I'm not surprised that Tahana has chosen to try his luck elsewhere - for someone who was regarded as a reasonable draft chance a few years back things have not worked out well for him!

and Looking at him. He looks a like a Pendlebury

Good luck to this bloke...…..I have always rated him.

Melbourne
Melbourne defender Marty Hore is firming for a Round 1 AFL debut against Port Adelaide
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
March 14, 2019 5:34pm
Subscriber only
Mature-aged defender Marty Hore looks set to go from the back of an Echuca farm straight into Melbourne’s Round 1 side after an excellent JLT Series.
Hore was recruited by the Demons at pick 56 in last year’s draft after back-to-back best-and-fairest awards playing in Collingwood’s VFL side.
Literally recruited by the Demons last November while he was working on an excavator on the family 400-cow dairy farm near Echuca, the rebounding defender is in a strong position to play Round 1.

The 190cm marking defender kept Brisbane’s Cam Rayner to only two possessions by half time on the weekend, with the Lion finishing with a single goal and three marks from 11 disposals.
Melbourne will be without Jake Lever and the suspended Steven May against Port Adelaide, with defender Joel Smith pushing forward as a target alongside Tom McDonald.
Last year’s mature-aged revelation Bailey Fritsch has moved up to the wing, leaving a gap for a mid-sized marking player who can also play a tight-checking role.

a53160b718fbe9b8eb657e436bd7bb9b
Marty Hore impressed throughout the JLT Series. Picture: Getty Images

Hore would also seem to have beaten out Jayden Hunt for a position in the back six after the pacy defender was trialled forward against the Lions.
The AFL has given Melbourne co-captains Jack Viney and Nathan Jones permission to skip Friday’s captain’s day media appearance as they prove their fitness at Casey Fields instead.
Max Gawn will attend the captain’s call at the MCG at midday, with Viney and Jones to take part in a critical pre-Round 1 training session that will include match simulation.
Viney (ankle) and Jones (hamstring) played VFL on the weekend in their first hitouts of the summer and are both desperate to play against Port Adelaide in Round 1 on Saturday March 23.
But they need to prove their fitness to the coaching staff and Friday’s closed Casey Fields training session is a key part of that process.

The AFL’s 18 captains are brought together for a yearly press call that includes a breakfast with AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan and a photo of the captains.
Viney and Jones wouldn’t have been able to complete the full session and make their way in from Casey Fields to take part in the captain’s call.

Hore averaged 14.5 disposals, 3.5 marks, 5.5 intercept possessions and five spoils in the JLT series as well as playing against Collingwood in an official practice match.
Bendigo Pioneers talent manager Steve Sharp said on Thursday the Demons had been desperately close to recruiting him two years ago after Simon Goodwin and the recruiting team visited his parents’ farm pre-draft.

406f589d611a6bdc395c7c4be9aa5e5c
Marty Hore was a standout in the VFL for Collingwood. Picture: Michael Klein
similars

He said Hore smacked of character, after travelling 90 minutes to Bendigo training twice a week then going to Collingwood to keep up his AFL dream.
In the VFL last year he averaged 9.2 intercept possessions and 4.4 intercept marks — ranked third behind only Aaron Francis and new Gold Coast recruit Sam Collins.
Key position defender Sam Frost returned from injury through a VFL practice match last weekend and will also push strongly to play against the Power.
He played all three finals last year as a dashing key position defender, but there could potentially be space for Oscar McDonald, Frost and Fritsch alongside Neville Jetta, Michael Hibberd and Jordan Lewis

Jake Spencer is definitely playing.

Squad for tonight.

46 Jake Spencer

50 Alex Woodward (C)

51 Lachlan Tardew

54 Andrew Gallucci

55 Michael Chippendale

56 Campbell Hustwaite

57 Sam Ralph

58 Tom Cameron

59 Sam Glover

60 Michael Marotta

61 Sean Hetherington

63 Callan Wellings

64 Campbell Lane

65 Lachlan Howe

66 Daniel Stanford

68 Alex Spencer

69 Anthony Zimmerman

70 Jackson Williams

71 Adrian Karatzas

74 Joel Madden

75 Patrick Marks

76 Nick Kempe

Squad for tonight.

46 Jake Spencer

50 Alex Woodward (C)

51 Lachlan Tardew

54 Andrew Gallucci

55 Michael Chippendale

56 Campbell Hustwaite

57 Sam Ralph

58 Tom Cameron

59 Sam Glover

60 Michael Marotta

61 Sean Hetherington

63 Callan Wellings

64 Campbell Lane

65 Lachlan Howe

66 Daniel Stanford

68 Alex Spencer

69 Anthony Zimmerman

70 Jackson Williams

71 Adrian Karatzas

74 Joel Madden

75 Patrick Marks

76 Nick Kempe
Interesting! Surely we must be going to sign/have signed him for our VFL side then? I see Lachlan Howe is still there, but perhaps they feel there's not much there to assist Lynch in the ruck?

There's a few new names for 2019: Alex Spencer, Campbell Hustwaite (those two the club had told us we were getting), Jake Spencer, Sam Glover (ex-West Preston & Northern Blues - the defender CFC2010 told us we were getting), Jackson Williams, Adrian Karatzas (Euroa/VAFA - key defender), Joel Madden (the son of Justin, apparently), Patrick Marks (probably from Mansfield) and Nick Kempe (Southport NEAFL/Gold Coast Academy/Mackay Eastern Swans).

Last edited:

Squad for tonight.

46 Jake Spencer

50 Alex Woodward (C)

51 Lachlan Tardew

54 Andrew Gallucci

55 Michael Chippendale

56 Campbell Hustwaite

57 Sam Ralph

58 Tom Cameron

59 Sam Glover

60 Michael Marotta

61 Sean Hetherington

63 Callan Wellings

64 Campbell Lane

65 Lachlan Howe

66 Daniel Stanford

68 Alex Spencer

69 Anthony Zimmerman

70 Jackson Williams

71 Adrian Karatzas

74 Joel Madden

75 Patrick Marks

76 Nick Kempe

That is Weird we play him in our Side IF he not going to play for us

Interesting! Surely we must be going to sign/have signed him for our VFL side then? I see Lachlan Howe is still there, but perhaps they feel there's not much there to assist Lynch in the ruck?

He is still working at the Club.

I was speaking to someone from Northcote Park on Wednesday and he said Hore has committed to most games at Northcote.
Same Club Starcevich has gone back to play for a full season.

He is still working at the Club.

I was speaking to someone from Northcote Park on Wednesday and he said Hore has committed to most games at Northcote.
Same Club Starcevich has gone back to play for a full season.
I didn't know Lachlan Howe worked for the club. It looks like Ashley Close still does (that's if this is up to date) so I wonder if he will still be playing for the VFL side. It certainly didn't work out with Starcevich, so it's not surprising that he's left.

I didn't know Lachlan Howe worked for the club. It looks like Ashley Close still does (that's if this is up to date) so I wonder if he will still be playing for the VFL side. It certainly didn't work out with Starcevich, so it's not surprising that he's left.

Opps sorry Daics I meant Ashley Close. :$

Geez.. not many VFL names remain from last year. Let alone the year before.
Obviously there's been a fair turnover even since last year, but I make it 13 players from 2018 who are in the side (9 new). Hellier and Matthew Smith would be playing if available. Ash Close may still be playing as well. It looks like there's just 6 from the 2017 list in the side (with Hellier, Smith and possibly Close still on the list).

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/vfl/vfl-players-2018 || https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/vfl/2017-player-profiles

I wonder why Oxley isn't playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously there's been a fair turnover even since last year, but I make it 13 players from 2018 who are in the side (9 new). Hellier and Matthew Smith would be playing if available. Ash Close may still be playing as well. It looks like there's just 6 from the 2017 list in the side (with Hellier, Smith and possibly Close still on the list).

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/vfl/vfl-players-2018 https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/vfl/2017-player-profiles

I wonder why Oxley isn't playing.

I harp on... but a national reserves comp and bolstered state leagues with mid week games are the uncapped TV rights potential for the AFL.

Last edited:
MagpieBat are we going to be seeing your brilliant VFL game threads this year? No MagpieBat OP would be one of the bigger changes for the 2019 VFL season and a shame especially in light of the club's diminishing VFL coverage.

MagpieBat are we going to be seeing your brilliant VFL game threads this year? No MagpieBat OP would be one of the bigger changes for the 2019 VFL season and a shame especially in light of the club's diminishing VFL coverage.

He usually gets them up pretty early right?

Great to see that Broomhead, Murphy and Reid will likely play.

Massive news for Broomhead. Good to see Reid return because I reckon we might need to call on him for depth at some point this year. Murphy must have been close to the best 22 when he injured himself. I kind of wonder how he'd go in Aish's high half back role with that racking left foot kick he has.

He usually gets them up pretty early right?

Great to see that Broomhead, Murphy and Reid will likely play.

Massive news for Broomhead. Good to see Reid return because I reckon we might need to call on him for depth at some point this year. Murphy must have been close to the best 22 when he injured himself. I kind of wonder how he'd go in Aish's high half back role with that racking left foot kick he has.
Yeah, thankfully the bat was almost like clockwork with the dust hardly settling on the previous round.

I’ve given up on Reid getting back to his best, but if he can stay on the park I’m sure he’ll find enough form to at least be a valuable backup.

When an opponent kicked the post in our match last week? it had me thinking that Broomhead had largely been forgotten, but must be close to a return. Terrific news for him.

Murphy shows promise and although still slight it will be interesting to see how much he and T. Brown have developed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back