Analysis 2019 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't we have one of the best spine's in the comp? Rampe, Aliir, Kennedy, Franklin and Sinclar. That's three AA"s and a potential AA. So aren't we on the cusp of a flag next year?

Well that's an alternative view but one that's not quite going with the spirit of things the media are portraying. When I say media, I mean that very generally as I'm sure there are some parts that haven't written us off for season 2019.

Perhaps only 97% of the media have written us off. I'm with you though connoly in the other 3% that says we can win the flag in 2019.

I'm a bit confused with my own thoughts about how our offseason is going. I was disappointed with only recruiting Clarke and Thurlow, I thought we were in a really good position to recruit some more highly rated ready-made senior players. Then I couldn't really see how Menzel would move the needle for us because we've got Hayward already in pretty much the same role.

But the more I'm thinking about our list for next year and looking at what a best 28 or so players looks like, I'm actually starting to like what I'm seeing. It might just be an optimistic tendency of mine when it comes to football (I used to be more pessimistic until I had an epiphany that my life was far too dependent emotionally on the Swans) and there being some time and distance between how terribly the side played in the finals, but I'm starting to quite like the look of our best 22 and the players who will be kept out. I was also really pleased to hear that we're training Mitch Maguire from Canberra over the offseason and I really hope we pick him up too, I love him as a player.

So I was thinking of this as a 22 (with Menzel assumed to be on board):

Smith - Melican - Rampe
Lloyd - Aliir - McVeigh
Jones - Parker - Mills
Heeney - Franklin - Menzel
Papley - Reid - Cunningham
Sinclair - Kennedy - Hewett

IC: Florent - Clarke - Dawson - Hayward

Emer: Thurlow - Jack - Grundy - Ronke

That 22 doesn't have Ronke in it who had a really good debut year (petered off at the end), Thurlow who should be a solid/motivated player for us, or McCartin who I'd be very happy to see in the side, or O'Riordan who I desperately want in the side ASAP, or the older guys in Jack/Grundy/Naismith.

I picked Sinclair as first ruck mainly because I rate him as a better player than Naismith, but I expect Naismith will be in and Sinclair in as a forward. I wouldn't go for that though with Menzel in the side because that makes us limited in how strong our pressure is up front.

I'm not gonna pick us for a flag this year but I'd be excited to see that side play. I love that Mills, Jones and Clarke will all be in the midfield to give us more senior bodies and run, I want to see Dawson get more opportunities and Aliir to put a full season of excellent play together to prove himself as a true top-line defender.

Whilst I am in general agreeance with this team, I also think Reg is a must for matches such as Richmond. Aliir cannot take either Reiwoldt or Lynch for Fu. Nor Rampe.

Alright im going to have a go

Rampe Melican Smith
Macca Alir Alir Llooooyyydee
Jones kennedy Florent
Ronke Franklin Haywood
Papely Reid Menzel
Foll: Parker Naismith Hewett
I/C Heeney (midfield forward back)
Mills ( back & midfield )
Clarke ( midfield new tagger maybe)
Blakey (forward midfield more off wing maybe play that outside midfield tagger like cunnigham at times in hes first year to follow good players around)

Any of these could be in 22 its close...
Sinclair ( depends if we want to rucks)
Cunningham
Grundy
Dawson (wanted in best 22)
Jack
Thurlow
Stoddard
Ling ( untried but leathal kick off half back)
O'riordan
Fox
Macartin
Rose
Maibaum

Further develop
Cameron ( ruck)
Pink ( forward)
Bell ( outside midfielder)

I would like to see rampe go into the middle and if thurlow can fill rampe role down back. Thats huge boots to fill but would like to see rampe have a crack in the middle for hes size. Speed. Kick. Want for the ball. Could be a major play. Wont happen if no one can fill hes boots down back.
Its not everyones 22, but i had a go. Grundy was hard to leave out. I though at times this year he was a little slow a caught out of position a couple of times
Cunningham had a great year this year but jones and florent on the wings much better. Couldnt fit him up forward or down back.
Jack need a good pre season but if he cant find form hes in 2nds.
Sinclair is behind naismith in the ruck but if we want three tall forwards hes in. Or if we throw a reid back hes in.
Stoddard and lings time is coming as well. Ling could just break out in 2019 and ask questions to Macca. Macca then could be breathing space if injuries come.

Last edited:
Whilst I am in general agreeance with this team, I also think Reg is a must for matches such as Richmond. Aliir cannot take either Reiwoldt or Lynch for Fu. Nor Rampe.
Melican has been good in the past he would could be a good match for Reiwoldt

Melican has been good in the past he would could be a good match for Reiwoldt
Reiwoldt reads the ball in the air very well. That's also Grundy's strength. Either way could work. It'd be nice to have options.

Alright im going to have a go

Rampe Melican Smith
Macca Alir Alir Llooooyyydee
Jones kennedy Florent
Ronke Franklin Haywood
Papely Reid Menzel
Foll: Parker Naismith Hewett
I/C Heeney (midfield forward back)
Mills ( back & midfield )
Clarke ( midfield new tagger maybe)
Blakey (forward midfield more off wing maybe play that outside midfield tagger like cunnigham at times in hes first year to follow good players around)

Any of these could be in 22 its close...
Sinclair ( depends if we want to rucks)
Cunningham
Grundy
Dawson (wanted in best 22)
Jack
Thurlow
Stoddard
Ling ( untried but leathal kick off half back)
O'riordan
Fox
Macartin
Rose
Maibaum

Further develop
Cameron ( ruck)
Pink ( forward)
Bell ( outside midfielder)

I would like to see rampe go into the middle and if thurlow can fill rampe role down back. Thats huge boots to fill but would like to see rampe have a crack in the middle for hes size. Speed. Kick. Want for the ball. Could be a major play. Wont happen if no one can fill hes boots down back.
Its not everyones 22, but i had a go. Grundy was hard to leave out. I though at times this year he was a little slow a caught out of position a couple of times
Cunningham had a great year this year but jones and florent on the wings much better. Couldnt fit him up forward or down back.
Jack need a good pre season but if he cant find form hes in 2nds.
Sinclair is behind naismith in the ruck but if we want three tall forwards hes in. Or if we throw a reid back hes in.
Stoddard and lings time is coming as well. Ling could just break out in 2019 and ask questions to Macca. Macca then could be breathing space if injuries come.
Some good ideas here. It's a bit left of field but probably reflects the fact that, if we have a fit list this year, the selectors will need to balance between winning games and developing players. I felt that in 2018, due to injury, there were too many gifted games where they would not normally have broken into the team (or stayed there) on form.

One thing I noticed in the player season review videos was how often it was mentioned that they had to play players out of position to cover the loss of Reid. He's obviously pretty crucial to team structure which is a worry. If Naismith takes first ruck then it might be a chance for Sinkers to claim Reid's spot if he can't get on the park and maintain a proper 1st and 2nd ruck rotation.

Reid/Naismith/Tippet. That's the nail on the head. Sinkers would have covered Reid if Naismith hadn't gone down. That Reid/Naismith double blow, made worse by Tippet's sudden retirement, meant we played a forward as a ruck, we were already one tall short, then we had to wheel in a first year tall to play forward. That unexpected exposure was difficult to predict but needs to be covered at least partly. Menzel at least provides a another forward marking target.

Yes they've gone out in straight sets but you need to take it in the context of following a 3 peat

There list is average to poor, they have a number of past it/injury prone veterans, a core of very good 25-28 year olds, and a bunch of ordinary youngsters. They have no decent key defenders, a one man midfield, and a makeshift medium/small midfield. Soft draw or not, that was a magnificent piece of coaching from Clarkson.

Had Horse pulled the same thing off you'd be on here proclaiming him a genius
To be fair. Horse and Clarkson have both had to rebuild from a similar position. There was just Buddy being out in Rd 23 as the difference between the two teams finish in 2018 but we have remained more competitive over the past few years and I'd argue we're in better position going forward.

Does anyone know Nick Blakey's current state of fitness?

I see a few people putting him in best 22s but personally i find it hard to see a spot for him early in 2019. The forward line looks stacked and I don't know if he is ready for midfield time at AFL level, particularly considering he didn't play so much this season due to injury.

If he isn't able to put in a full pre-season then I think it is better for him to ease into NEAFL footy with an eye on the second half of the season.

Last edited:
Does anyone know Nick Blakey's cirrent state of fitness?

I see a few people putting him in best 22s but personally i find it hard to see a spot for him early in 2019. The forward line looks stacked and I don't know if he is ready for midfield time at AFL level, particularly considering he didn't play so much this season due to injury.

If he isn't able to put in a full pre-season then I think it is better for him to ease into NEAFL footy with an eye on the second half of the season.
Put it this way if he wasnt afl ready he would be rated inside top 10 let alone potential top 5. Midfielder in that a category are afl ready in some way.. i expect blakey to be straight in 22. Not in the middle on the wing following guns around like isaac smith. Blakey by all reports has a big tank for ges size. ( height not size)

To be fair. Horse and Clarkson have both had to rebuild from a similar position. There was just Buddy being out in Rd 23 as the difference between the two teams finish in 2018 but we have remained more competitive over the past few years and I'd argue we're in better position going forward.

Absolutely agree

That’s why I think Clarke did a great job this year

Put it this way if he wasnt afl ready he would be rated inside top 10 let alone potential top 5. Midfielder in that a category are afl ready in some way.. i expect blakey to be straight in 22. Not in the middle on the wing following guns around like isaac smith. Blakey by all reports has a big tank for ges size. ( height not size)
I imagine he might spend some NEAFL time to get used to the game plan but he sounds a fairly complete player already. That doesn't mean he automatically gets a gig in the seniors, especially if someone else if playing the role well. Even a gun recruit has to earn his stripes. Ling is another who will be looking for senior game time this year, among others. Pressure for spots is a good thing but if we have another year like 2018 he'll get plenty of games. Let's hope 2019 is kind to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely agree

That’s why I think Clarke did a great job this year
Mostly he got lucky. IMO Hawks have not done a great job of rebuilding compared to us and we'd have wiped the floor with them if we'd had any forwards left in Rd 23. We beat them once without Buddy but didn't quite pull it off the second time around. Buddy out only left McCartin as the focal point and our young forwards were pretty stuffed. I'm confident we will have their measure in 2019 and for the foreseeable future.

B: Rampe - Grundy - Aliir
HB: Lloyd - Melican - McVeigh
C: Cunningham - Kennedy - Jones
HF: Ronke - Reid - Papley
F: Menzel - Franklin - Hayward
R: Sinclair - Parker - Heeney
INT: Florent - Hewett - Mills - Dawson

EMG: McCartin - Naismith - O'Riordan - Blakey

Really dont see many guys that aren't locks. Best 22 is prettt secure. Dont have much confidence in Thurlow or Clarke based on past performance.

I'm not questioning his skills or talent to pay at AFL level, but his fitness. He has missed a lot of football this last 18 months. He really needs a full pre-season at least, hence my question about his current state of health.

Really dont see many guys that aren't locks. Best 22 is prettt secure. Dont have much confidence in Thurlow or Clarke based on past performance.
Nick Smith done?

Nick Smith done?

For me, yes.

Rampe can take his role just fine. Just as good a 1-on-1 lockdown defender but is a better kick, more athletic and more versatile. I can't justify having all 5 of Grundy, Melican, Smith, Rampe and Aliir in the best 22, and I picked Melican over Smith.

That's our top 10 players according to the coaches

Not quite. It is the top 10 vote getters in last year's best and fairest. Players missing time during the season for any reason and therefore unable to get votes in a chunk of games wont show up. Those votes are also given out based on players meeting or exceeding then expectations the coaches had for them (Cunningham and Sinclair improved a lot last year, their positions reflect that exceeding of expectations more than it reflects the fact they are in the top 10 players on the list, for example).

If you asked the coaches who were the top 10 players on the list I think it would look a little different.

For me, yes.

Rampe can take his role just fine. Just as good a 1-on-1 lockdown defender but is a better kick, more athletic and more versatile. I can't justify having all 5 of Grundy, Melican, Smith, Rampe and Aliir in the best 22, and I picked Melican over Smith.
I think it might come down to opposition. Nick Smith is the undisputed king of frustrating small forwards.

Dawson's not a lock in my view. I'd also be looking to fast track Naismith's development and McCartin's, so players will be on their toes.

Jack's not done yet but hopefully he'll get a full preseason before playing. Will probably come in and out as needed.

I'd like to see Ling bust into the 22 this year. Such a shame that he missed so many opportunities to play in 2018 due to injury when in 2019 he may find it a lot harder to break in. Has the speed to give us some extra carry and outside run. Very skilled by all accounts. Would hate to see a pick 14 go to waste.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back