Analysis 2019 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a good selection. Just one question who exactly is a 32 year old half back flanker supposed to be interchanging for? Unless he plays through the middle why have him in the team/interchange. Surely Clarke fits the bill (provided he has decent form) in that he can play off a half back flank and in the middle? Spare me the generalship line - generals don't lead armies off the flanks.

McVeigh is easily in our top side. We need more guys with good skills, not less.

Not every team had such a cluster of season ending injuries in the ruck/forward area. That is the point.

We can stand to lose 1 ruck. We lost 2.

We can stand to lose 1 tall forward. We lost 2 (3 if you count Sinclair having to ruck, 4 if you count Buddy being on 1 leg for the year).

I have posted this before, but if the "game plan" whingers are allowed to be repetitive then I am also allowed to respond repetitively.

The cumulative effect of losing that cluster of talls meant our onballers and defenders were worn down over the season by never getting first use out of stoppages and rarely getting the break that comes with contested marks forward of the contest. Winning back the footy is more physically taxing than getting clean first use. Chasing and tackling is more physically taxing than receiving and running. And that's before we start on the mental aspect. These are simple football facts. Unlike the "it's our boring game plan" crap.

Hawthorn wouldn't have won any of their 3 flags if Roughead/McEvoy/Hale had all been missing.
I agree injuries restrict the implementation of team plans. But surely the GC defeat is a flashing red light. GC hardly had a dominating group of big men. They were basically a bunch of skinny kids that ran us ragged by quick ball movement and domination of the central corridor. The fact that their coach knew Longmire's game plan backwards, knew the weakness of it and coached against it was obvious. That game would have been studied by every coaching staff in the competition. We either change or go down the ladder next season.

That's a good selection. Just one question who exactly is a 32 year old half back flanker supposed to be interchanging for? Unless he plays through the middle why have him in the team/interchange. Surely Clarke fits the bill (provided he has decent form) in that he can play off a half back flank and in the middle? Spare me the generalship line - generals don't lead armies off the flanks.
Simply because he's a good kick. One of the few strengths he has left tbh.

I actually don't even think McVeigh is that elite by foot anymore. Produced some absolute shockers that should've been regulation kicks this season. It's more just his smarts that still stand out. Knowing how to move in traffic, his little side-steps and flicks to advantage, not rushing when he has it.

Agree. He earned his salt. Whether he can reproduce in his last year is open to question.

Good news is I guess we've improved our depth somewhat and may have a few more kids come on like Ling or Stoddart, so McVeigh really doesn't have the luxury of time to prove his worth. If he's not up to it, I don't think his leadership and experience would be enough this time around to keep him in the side like it did a few years ago when he wasn't much chop.

I agree injuries restrict the implementation of team plans. But surely the GC defeat is a flashing red light. GC hardly had a dominating group of big men. They were basically a bunch of skinny kids that ran us ragged by quick ball movement and domination of the central corridor. The fact that their coach knew Longmire's game plan backwards, knew the weakness of it and coached against it was obvious. That game would have been studied by every coaching staff in the competition. We either change or go down the ladder next season.

The only time I ever bet on football is when bottom sides are playing top sides in July (but I will never bet against the Swans). I have done very nicely backing the bottom sides at big odds.

The reason is that in July sides that are approaching finals have a 2-3 week heavy training block. I don't know if that was the reason for that horrible defeat that day but certainly we looked like world beaters in the first quarter then had nothing left after that.

Either way, a single defeat to a bottom side in July doesn't spell any red lights for me. We lost a game.

I think the final against GWS is a greater measurement. And I just think we looked like a side that was cooked. Same as against Geelong the previous year.

The only time I ever bet on football is when bottom sides are playing top sides in July (but I will never bet against the Swans). I have done very nicely backing the bottom sides at big odds.

The reason is that in July sides that are approaching finals have a 2-3 week heavy training block. I don't know if that was the reason for that horrible defeat that day but certainly we looked like world beaters in the first quarter then had nothing left after that.

Either way, a single defeat to a bottom side in July doesn't spell any red lights for me. We lost a game.

I think the final against GWS is a greater measurement. And I just think we looked like a side that was cooked. Same as against Geelong the previous year.

Wow ... just wow!

Either way, a single defeat to a bottom side in July doesn't spell any red lights for me. We lost a game

That performance, or lack thereof after 1/4 time marked a low point for the Club this century. It was up there with, or more to the point down there with the loss to CarlCrims in Rd6 2017 and the 2014 GF flogging from the Dawks.

I do not for a moment think that 'training loads' had anything to do with it. You may as well suggest there were sleeping pills in the 1/4 time oranges. The truth is we were fundamentally outcoached.

So we had a heavy training load in July to ensure that we were fresh for the finals, but we were cooked for the finals anyway?

McVeigh was excellent this year and putrid the year prior.

the year prior his return to the team coincided with our winning run. he wouldn't have got a contract for the past season if he was putrid the season prior. imo the season prior was one of his best and certainly better than the past season.

So we had a heavy training load in July to ensure that we were fresh for the finals, but we were cooked for the finals anyway?

Was about to say! Whose fault is that? The goalpost? Anything to relive blame from the main problem!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And looks like he’s getting a full pre-season under his belt
Barring injury, he’ll play every game
NEAFL hopefully where his experience and generalship can contribute to the young player development before he goes on the coaching staff in 2020. Surely COR, Thurlow and Clarke are in front of him next year?

NEAFL hopefully where his experience and generalship can contribute to the young player development before he goes on the coaching staff in 2020. Surely COR, Thurlow and Clarke are in front of him next year?

Why would those three be ahead of him, not to mention Clarke is a inside mid he's not competing for McVeigh's spot! COR has played what 2 games...he's not a certain starter, and ditto Thurlow, who is the closest of the three.

If he maintains close to 2018 form, he will play plenty of games. I expect tho it was an Indian Summer and that there will be a drop off of form and possible injury.

It is KJ that I hope Captains the NEAFL side offering some leadership and on field development of our younger players.

COR is the one player I would be playing instead of McVeigh if the latter is injured or loses form. Clarke is back-up mid. Thurlow is an upgrade on Marsh but not within a bulls roar of Newman. I would be worried about our injury list if he gets too many games.

If he maintains close to 2018 form, he will play plenty of games. I expect tho it was an Indian Summer and that there will be a drop off of form and possible injury.

It is KJ that I hope Captains the NEAFL side offering some leadership and on field development of our younger players.

COR is the one player I would be playing instead of McVeigh if the latter is injured or loses form. Clarke is back-up mid. Thurlow is an upgrade on Marsh but not within a bulls roar of Newman. I would be worried about our injury list if he gets too many games.

Thurlow is MUCH better than Newman. He makes less stupid mistakes, and he is versatile.

Thurlow is MUCH better than Newman. He makes less stupid mistakes, and he is versatile.

Not convinced by him at all but I am hoping for the best. Newman is versatile playing mids and backs. Thurlow is a backman.

Not convinced by him at all but I am hoping for the best. Newman is versatile playing mids and backs. Thurlow is a backman.

Thurlow has pushed into the middle and can also play lockdown roles. He's one I feel is a really astute pickup. I'd much rather pick him up than burn a top 25 pick on Langdon.

After the GC the jig was up in regards to the game plan. Be instructive to watch the game again and the players visible as GC ran over the top of us.
Why would those three be ahead of him, not to mention Clarke is a inside mid he's not competing for McVeigh's spot! COR has played what 2 games...he's not a certain starter, and ditto Thurlow, who is the closest of the three.
Clarke can play off a half back flank, go into the middle and has pace, Mc V can but cant and doesn't; COR can play off a flank, play in the middle and has pace and McV can, but can't and doesn't; Thurlow can play on a half back flank, a wing and has pace and McV can but can't and doesn't. If McV lines up in the firsts next year that means there has been some disappointing pre-seasons by the newbies or the coach is playing favourites. O hold on he doesn't does he?

I agree with your last few sentences. To me two shellackings in our last two finals matches aren’t that alarming because they were reflective of where we are at as a team. Yes we have issues with our game plan and a few might have been carrying some niggles, but more than anything, the reason we’ve been bundled out of the last two finals series in absolutely putrid efforts is because that’s the best we could do. The reality is, the last two years we ARE a middle of the ladder side, we’ve had senior stars who have gone to the well too many times, and youngsters who aren’t yet ready to carry the load needed.

If we stayed in both finals up until say half way through the third or fourth quarter, you could point to our game plan costing us. But the fact both were pretty clearly over early in the piece and we just withered away for the remainder of the matches tells me we simply weren’t up to the standard required to play finals footy, and might have been lucky both years to be in the finals at all. And that’s OK with me. You can’t be a red hot contender every year.

But the list right now is in a place where I think Horse & co actually could start moulding us into something more than an uneven middle of the ladder side. If he goes about it the right way (big if), we could hit the finals next year and actually be prepared and able to play finals footy, not just succumb to it again.

The drafting out of Hanners and Grohan, two previously inked in players, showed an inclination to look at current form and not history or perennial potential. Hopefully Horse and the selectors learnt a little and will apply this in 2019.

Was about to say! Whose fault is that? The goalpost? Anything to relive blame from the main problem!
Interesting to analyse that game. Young a reject from Port kicked four goals against us that day while he had in his 3 previous appearances against us he had averaged one a game He prospered off fast direct ball movement Brodie ran rings around us with pace. Buddy was held goaless because Dew knew our game plan and style from the inside.

Interesting to analyse that game. Young a reject from Port kicked four goals against us that day while he had in his 3 previous appearances against us he had averaged one a game He prospered off fast direct ball movement Brodie ran rings around us with pace. Buddy was held goaless because Dew knew our game plan and style from the inside.

And isn’t it funny that when we tried something different and attacked for a quarter, Dew didn’t have any answers for us? We kicked six goals in that first quarter and could’ve had more. Then we went back to the same old style that Dew knew inside out.

I agree with your last few sentences. To me two shellackings in our last two finals matches aren’t that alarming because they were reflective of where we are at as a team. Yes we have issues with our game plan and a few might have been carrying some niggles, but more than anything, the reason we’ve been bundled out of the last two finals series in absolutely putrid efforts is because that’s the best we could do. The reality is, the last two years we ARE a middle of the ladder side, we’ve had senior stars who have gone to the well too many times, and youngsters who aren’t yet ready to carry the load needed.

If we stayed in both finals up until say half way through the third or fourth quarter, you could point to our game plan costing us. But the fact both were pretty clearly over early in the piece and we just withered away for the remainder of the matches tells me we simply weren’t up to the standard required to play finals footy, and might have been lucky both years to be in the finals at all. And that’s OK with me. You can’t be a red hot contender every year.

But the list right now is in a place where I think Horse & co actually could start moulding us into something more than an uneven middle of the ladder side. If he goes about it the right way (big if), we could hit the finals next year and actually be prepared and able to play finals footy, not just succumb to it again.
With respect wouldn't a team being run over the top of late in a game indicate tiredness/fitness issues and a team being beaten from the first siren indicate a game plan issue? What you said seems counter-intuitive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back