Analysis 2019 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

I do find these threads a bit strange. People list the exact same players we had this year and talk about how good our depth is, after talking about how we suffered this year due to not having the depth to cover injuries.

It’s the Sam Reid Syndrome

The further removed from the last swans game a player played the better they are

Hence the whole 22 are getting better each week, where do we fit anyone in

Naismith is now Polly Farmer, Simon Madden and Dean Cox rolled into one

Mills can move to the midfield and become a Dustin Martin type

Mellican is ready to be Matthew Scarlett

Jack is ready to run like Usain Bolt

And Reidy well 6 seasons ago he was a young premiership CHF so imagine how good he is now

On the flip side the more you play elsewhere the worst you become

Mitchell is now money hungry non damaging kick who should of been happy to be our 5th best midfielder

The further removed from the last swans game a player played the better they are

And Reidy well 6 seasons ago he was a young premiership CHF so imagine how good he is now

Mitchell is now money hungry non damaging kick who should of been happy to be our 5th best midfielder

:thumbsupemoji::tearsofjoy::clapping:

Nailed it King!

I do find these threads a bit strange. People list the exact same players we had this year and talk about how good our depth is, after talking about how we suffered this year due to not having the depth to cover injuries.
I was really excited about this year too! And still I think that if we hadn't had season ending injuries to Naismith, Reid, Mills and Melican, the season would have looked a lot different.

Another big difference is that we don't know who was carrying what injuries as the season progressed. I'm really looking forward to our young blokes having another preseason under the belts, and everyone resetting and going again!

We might not have the best list with the most talented players, but I still reckon we have the best team and will give it a real crack!

No statistics involved, but you might want to note that we won in 05, then again seven years later in 12, and then seven years later.... :p:D

I

No statistics involved, but you might want to note that we won in 05, then again seven years later in 12, and then seven years later.... :p:D

we would of won in 98 if Kel didnt get injured..... now im excited

we would of won in 98 if Kel didnt get injured..... now im excited
We would have won in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 if we'd played better

We would have won in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 if we'd played better

Hey come on give me 98 being at least plausible, I am with you injuries happen every year, but that was wide open and our captain went down.

Crappy crows won the flag, ok maybe i am a dreamer, but have a heart tin man :p

You aren't excited to see Aliir have a full season? Or Mills return? Or see Melican back?

I think 2017 & 2018 has allowed us to put some experience into some key youngsters (Hayward, Heenz, Florent, Ronke, Mills, McCartin, Jones, Hewy etc). Combined with opportunity (e.g. Hanners leaving, Jack/Macca/Reg/Smitty at the cliff edge)... I can see 2019 as the year these kids step up & take their spots & start really impressing.

Florent with a years experience is going to be smoother & last longer.

Ronke with a years experience is going to be smarter & be more consistent.

Etc etc.

I'm bullish about 2019 for identifiable real reasons. Increased experience as the core list develops into that 3-5year zone playing together. It's exciting.

Often as supporters we miss what is really respected in certain players & I think Harry C here in the review is a classic example of how a player at our club can learn to become a great role player that helps the big names do their thing with out all the fan fare for him.
Brett Kirk gives a great description here of Harry's strengths for the team. At the end of the day, that's all that matters as a club.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2018-09-28/2018-review-harry-cunningham

there are pretty much two game plans that are in vogue. 1) controlling the ball by foot 2) banging it forward as quickly as possible to fast small forwards who keep it in the forward 50.

we can't kick and we play in the back half.

longmire and the list management have been awful.

there are pretty much two game plans that are in vogue. 1) controlling the ball by foot 2) banging it forward as quickly as possible to fast small forwards who keep it in the forward 50.

we can't kick and we play in the back half.

longmire and the list management have been awful.
I think inferred pressure is a huge one. Look at the Tigers & Dogs. Both have that "swarming" style & then speed to break & spread. I think that is what we have been focusing on with guys like Ronke, Aliir & so on.

We've relied on our link men a fair bit thd last few years with Macca, Rampe & Lloyd taking thst role. I think Mills will also take a similar role moving forward.

But agreed re: disposal efficiency in general. We'vd not relied on that while it's become a strength of successful teams around us.

You aren't excited to see Aliir have a full season? Or Mills return? Or see Melican back?

I think 2017 & 2018 has allowed us to put some experience into some key youngsters (Hayward, Heenz, Florent, Ronke, Mills, McCartin, Jones, Hewy etc). Combined with opportunity (e.g. Hanners leaving, Jack/Macca/Reg/Smitty at the cliff edge)... I can see 2019 as the year these kids step up & take their spots & start really impressing.

Florent with a years experience is going to be smoother & last longer.

Ronke with a years experience is going to be smarter & be more consistent.

Etc etc.

I'm bullish about 2019 for identifiable real reasons. Increased experience as the core list develops into that 3-5year zone playing together. It's exciting.
Every player on every list is a year older and more experienced next season. Unsexy, unglamorous, but true

I'm far more excited to see what list management decisions and moves we make over the next month. Everything from delistings to new contracts to new signings to trades. But I'm a bit of a list management nerd as people will have noticed

Often as supporters we miss what is really respected in certain players & I think Harry C here in the review is a classic example of how a player at our club can learn to become a great role player that helps the big names do their thing with out all the fan fare for him.
Brett Kirk gives a great description here of Harry's strengths for the team. At the end of the day, that's all that matters as a club.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2018-09-28/2018-review-harry-cunningham
My 2nd most improved player this year after Sinclair, has been great to see. Even in previous years I didn't see why he got so much hate. Wasn't a star but always seemed like a good trier with some decent skills

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My 2nd most improved player this year after Sinclair, has been great to see. Even in previous years I didn't see why he got so much hate. Wasn't a star but always seemed like a good trier with some decent skills

What is of importance is that he has been able to play consecutive games & stay relatively injury free in 2018.
In 2017 he had that bad foot/ankle injury, which had him missing a good chunk of footy. He came back for finals but he physically wasn't able to be at his best which is what Harry needs to play his two way running role.

What is of importance is that he has been able to play consecutive games & stay relatively injury free in 2018.
In 2017 he had that bad foot/ankle injury, which had him missing a good chunk of footy. He came back for finals but he physically wasn't able to be at his best which is what Harry needs to play his two way running role.

He was in career best form before he got injured last year.
IMO he is the classic 'confidence player'.

It is something we all do but in particular, I'll take it a step further in that from afar some tend to rate other teams/players better than ours, when in actual fact, nearly every team has had some putrid patches throughout the year with only the premier able to come out looking awesome.
Melbourne's list & midfield has been heralded by the general media as being the pick of the lot this season but last week in the final against WC they were anything but. That includes the best ruckman of the season being smashed. So we are not only guilty of making our players seem better after a lay off as you say, but also of propping up the opposition to a higher status than they are actually at IMO.

It is something we all do but in particular, I'll take it a step further in that from afar some tend to rate other teams/players better than ours, when in actual fact, nearly every team has had some putrid patches throughout the year with only the premier able to come out looking awesome.
Melbourne's list & midfield has been heralded by the general media as being the pick of the lot this season but last week in the final against WC they were anything but. That includes the best ruckman of the season being smashed. So we are not only guilty of making our players seem better after a lay off as you say, but also of propping up the opposition to a higher status than they are actually at IMO.

oh we all do it, im not having a go, i know im sitting here thinking Gee Gary Rohan is quick and can mark maybe we should keep him and put him forward and he can give us a spark. Then when he plays its like ohh bloody Rohan, get a kick , pain in the arse.

Of course if the team fails then all bar like banter is well if only we had those two players missing we would of won.

And yes I agree re opposition , theres the shiny toy factor, gee look at how that Dustin Martin goes, imagine him in red and white.

Sometimes the shiny new toys go ok in new colours, say in a swans 23 instead of the hawks 23.

Other times the car breaks down, like Bradshaw

Other times the car breaks down, like Bradshaw
Still a sore topic for me, loved Bradshaw.

When that car was on the road for us it was absolutely brilliant, 28 goals in 9 games

Still a sore topic for me, loved Bradshaw.

When that car was on the road for us it was absolutely brilliant, 28 goals in 9 games

I enjoyed watching him play even as a Lion

That final he played after being out for weeks was impressive

Barring injury of coarse...aliir will be an all australian next year. Bookmark it
Bookmarked. Needs personal improvement plus season ending injuries to Rance, McGovern, Andrews, and Davis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back