Analysis 2019 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is why we desperately need one of Stoddart, McInerney or Ling to step up. We really need some fast run out of defence.

None are ready.

We need to free up the attacking players that we do have, which are Aliir and Lloyd. Playing Grundy can do the former, playing Smith can do the latter.

Can’t see how all 3 play imo , to slow

New rules would kill us with smith , Grundy and Macca in defence

Lloyd isn’t that fast either and struggles one on one

As opposed to who ?

Thurlow isn't much IMO and if we think he's gonna get space to use his supposed pace then we're kidding ourselves. He needs to be either a key defender or bon voyage. We could play Maibaum instead of Grundy but not sure playing a debutant is any more reliable than playing the veteran.

As opposed to who ?

Thurlow isn't much IMO and if we think he's gonna get space to use his supposed pace then we're kidding ourselves. He needs to be either a key defender or bon voyage. We could play Maibaum instead of Grundy but not sure playing a debutant is any more reliable than playing the veteran.

He isn't much.. hence being given away. Could still get there tho.
But he's shown he can do that already, just inconsistently.

Why a KD? He isn't one and wouldn't be utilising his strengths.

He isn't much.. hence being given away. Could still get there tho.
But he's shown he can do that already, just inconsistently.

Why a KD? He isn't one and wouldn't be utilising his strengths.

Because I don't see any other strengths besides his size. As I've said in all the times I watched him at Geelong I never noticed any real pace or good kicking. And I certainly didn't see it in the scratch match. So I'm not sure what purpose he serves other than being a tall player who is comfortable in the back line.

McVeigh and Jack shouldn't play more than 20 games combined.

Dawson needs to play as much as possible, seen glimpses of talent and its a contract year for him.

Agree re Dawson. For me, he is must play.

As for the 20 combined games for the two vets, I think it is a big ask on Macca to play 19 games. Hopefully one of his 19 will be in a joint farewell game for the two Premiership skippers .

I think KJ has a critical mentoring and leadership role this year. I hope he is captain and assistant coach of the Readies.

Parker, Lloyd, Mills, Papley, Kennedy and Rampe would have to be locks in reality too.

I'd also throw in Hayward, Florent and Aliir based on the fact they are clearly the best options at the club in their respective roles. There's no way those guys won't be getting games.

I think we also need to accept the notion that Cunningham is not going anywhere. Last year at times he looked and played like a leader, and in the matches where he wasn't, he was still solid, barely played a poor game all year. He was our best player in the scratch match on Friday so who knows maybe he's gone to another level again after carrying more confidence into this pre-season

I think we also need to accept the notion that Cunningham is not going anywhere. Last year at times he looked and played like a leader, and in the matches where he wasn't, he was still solid, barely played a poor game all year. He was our best player in the scratch match on Friday so who knows maybe he's gone to another level again after carrying more confidence into this pre-season

Agreeed. I was done with Cunningham at the end of 2017 after being on his bandwagon for a long time. I thought his hard-running and discipline and clean skill could be so valuable if he just backed himself more with the ball. It always seemed like if he was running to a contest with an opponent he would purposely trail them to ensure he could make the tackle, rather than back himself to win the ball.

That moment in the 2017 EF against the Cats when he took a mark within 45m of goal basically dead in front and turned around immediately to give it off to McVeigh to take the responsibility was the moment I jumped off. But you've gotta be fair to him, it seems like the penny finally dropped last year properly. He's still an excellent run-with player for the opposition's best wingman. He beats Isaac Smith convincingly every time they play for instance. But it looks like he's now truly confident in his attacking ability.

Last edited:
Agreeed. I was done with Cunningham at the end of 2017 after being on his bandwagon for a long time. I thought his hard-running and discipline and clean skill could be so valuable if he just backed himself more with the ball. It always seemed like if he was running to a contest with an opponent he would purposely trail them to ensure he could make the tackle, rather than back himself to win the ball.

That moment in the 2017 EF against the Cats when he took a mark within 45m of goal basically dead in front and turned around immediately to give it off to McVeigh to take the responsibility was the moment I jumped off. But you've gotta be fair to him, it seems like the penny finally dropped last year properly. He's still an excellent run-with player for the opposition's best wingman. He beats Isaac Smith convincingly every time they play for instance. But it looks like he's now truly confident in his attacking ability now.

Yep I vividly remember saying something along the lines of, "we'll never win a flag with guys like Cunningham in the team" after that EF as I grouped him in with the Towers and Robinsons and B. Jacks of the club. But full respect for him because he's stuck at it, gained more confidence and has also become a tough and at times uncompromising player. It's been quite the turnaround and he's literally saved his career, now we just wait and see how far he can take his second chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else see Clarke as just depth? I’m glad we got him but I don’t see a spot for him. We will have six full time mids this year (JPK, Parker, Heeney, Hewett, Florent and Mills.) Then there’s the two who I think will rotate from half back (Jones & Cunningham) and from half forward (Papley & Hayward and even Blakey.) That’s eleven potential or definite midfielders I’d have ahead of Clarke. Even if it came to relying on depth if an injury hits, Dawson would be better than Clarke.

I watched a replay of the scratch match and it was pretty clear that Florent was at home playing the Hanners role that Clarke was pegged to play, just with more pace and class. So I think Clarke is really gonna have his work cut out for him this year and not sure he’ll be the certain in people thought he’d be when we recruited him.

I think he's ear marked as a wingman with Florent. The rest are similar type mids.

I actually prefer Foxy as an all rounder.

I'd like to see him play a full year at HB. Reserves, seniors, wherever he is. His leap and athleticism could be really useful there. Plus the most comfortable he's looked in his time at the Swans so far (imo) was 12 months ago when he trained and played exclusively down back for the preseason and first few weeks of the year. He didn't rack up touches but I thought he looked really solid there.

With some more time he could learn how to play small and mediums pretty well and use his pace to create.

Last edited:
?

He hasn’t ever contributed as much as Cunningham. I like Fox but he has ways to go before he’s even on Cunningham’s level, let alone that of a Jake Lloyd or Rory Laird.

Was comparing Fox and Clarke.

Lloyd's comments from a few weeks ago

-------
Wheatley - "Has there been much change in the way John Longmire has approached the strategic setup?"

Lloyd - "Yeah there have definitely been small changes here and there but you know what has held us in good stead over the last however many years has been our defensive side of our game and the way we attack at the footy, you know we have made a few little changes now with new coaching staff coming in with new opinions from the way we are perceived from other clubs but when it comes down to the crunch time with our game plan then we stick to what worked over the years. We have certainly made a few little changes but our core values as a group are basically the same"

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-02-14/young-swans-earn-lloyds-praise
-------

Seems Lloyd was telling the truth.

So did anyone see any game plan changes in today's game compared to 2018?

Yes. One thing I was delighted with was little of the arthritic chippety chip back and forward across D50.

Lloyd's comments from a few weeks ago

-------
Wheatley - "Has there been much change in the way John Longmire has approached the strategic setup?"

Lloyd - "Yeah there have definitely been small changes here and there but you know what has held us in good stead over the last however many years has been our defensive side of our game and the way we attack at the footy, you know we have made a few little changes now with new coaching staff coming in with new opinions from the way we are perceived from other clubs but when it comes down to the crunch time with our game plan then we stick to what worked over the years. We have certainly made a few little changes but our core values as a group are basically the same"

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-02-14/young-swans-earn-lloyds-praise
-------

Seems Lloyd was telling the truth.

He may be right but did Hawthorn change the way they have played during their 3-peat?

He may be right but did Hawthorn change the way they have played during their 3-peat?

Quite a lot from memory as Clarkson completely changed Buddy's role in 2013. Clarkson has also changed the Hawks in 2017-2018 to suit his new players, rather than continuing on with the old game plan that worked for the previous group of players he had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back