Analysis 2019 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

do people still love AFL, or love the Sydney Swans these days?

The Sydney Swans.

Not helped by the fact I hate most of the teams (Brisbane, Melbourne, St Kilda, Adelaide, Gold Coast basically the only ones not on my s**t list), the commentators suck (bring back Dennis!), players just aren't as good (Dangerfield and Fyfe wouldn't butter Voss or Judd or Goodes or Ricciuto's bread IMO), the umpires ruin so many games (put your whistles away!) and the fact that some matches you just know are already pre-determined by the AFL (oh wait, that's only the Bulldogs games.)

It's what the AFL wanted.
Fatigued players.
First reduce the interchange, create more injuries to players, teams then need to go deeper into their lists, lesser players get senior AFL games thus reducing the quality of football. Should a team get their best players on the park at the right time & for long enough then the football they play is better quality. More players are covering more ground in the last few years than ever before.

FATIGUED players..............just how they wanted it. Unfortunately (for them) we've got less scoring.
Your table backs it up, make no mistake.

Fatigued players are the best ingredient for poor skills and poor decision making and thereby less scoring.
6-6-6 is a nothing rule. Despite all the hoo-harr by the "experts" it hasn't changed a damn thing because it was never meant to.
The AFL wants close games more than they want high scoring games.

do people still love AFL, or love the Sydney Swans these days?
I don't like what the AFL stands for & never have. They needed us to succeed but now they have GWS to carry on forward. We are viewed as a pain in the arse to the AFL now so they never make a stand against people like Eddie because he has infiltrated their ranks.

So that only leaves me with love & loyalty for the Swans. I went to the Hawks v Nth game the other day & the crowd has a sense of entitlement if you're a Hawk & a victim mentality if you're a Roo.
I don't know, I just respect our crowd generally when we go to games because we've had it tough & have stuck with them to strike for success a few times. I can't be angry at the Swans ever...............but you already know that King!;)

The AFL is committed to its own TV-driven agenda, like the AFLX, the night GF. and forever trying to amp up the scoring rather than playing the role of custodian of the game. I see a headline today about Gil in talks with Amazon, Netflix et al. Oh, how blessed are we! The rule changes seem more ridiculous than usual -- the 50m penalty for trivial infringements is grossly disproportional yet, now think about it, somehow perfectly symbolic about the dysfunction of the game.

The Swans and their hardness, consistency and integrity are the shining golden nugget in the middle of this big stinking turd.

I don't like what the AFL stands for & never have. They needed us to succeed but now they have GWS to carry on forward. We are viewed as a pain in the arse to the AFL now so they never make a stand against people like Eddie because he has infiltrated their ranks.

So that only leaves me with love & loyalty for the Swans. I went to the Hawks v Nth game the other day & the crowd has a sense of entitlement if you're a Hawk & a victim mentality if you're a Roo.
I don't know, I just respect our crowd generally when we go to games because we've had it tough & have stuck with them to strike for success a few times. I can't be angry at the Swans ever...............but you already know that King!;)

good answer

its just something i ponder, i dont love the actual game like i used to, but not sure if i am a grumpy old man

my loyalty is more to the club than the comp

if we folded id stop watching as much I think

I would definitely be out if we folded.

I was out for a while when we were ripped out of South Melbourne.

I think the talent pool is insufficient for 18 teams. The game now requires much greater athleticism to play than it does footy nous and skills.

I think the constant rules changes has not helped ( I actually blame Bartlett who never got over the old holding the man rule change which targeted him).

McLaren aside I cannot remember a period where the umpiring was so consistently rubbish. The impoverished officiating combined with the rule of the week reduces the quality of games

I was out for a while when we were ripped out of South Melbourne.

I think the talent pool is insufficient for 18 teams. The game now requires much greater athleticism to play than it does footy nous and skills.

I think the constant rules changes has not helped ( I actually blame Bartlett who never got over the old holding the man rule change which targeted him).

McLaren aside I cannot remember a period where the umpiring was so consistently rubbish. The impoverished officiating combined with the rule of the week reduces the quality of games
If the AFL started relocating, merging or removing some Vic clubs to 6 teams, then I will take them seriously about wanting a national competition.
They won't so they aren't serious. No problem though when it came to relocating us or shutting down Fitzroy so it may happen one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL started relocating, merging or removing some Vic clubs to 6 teams, then I will take them seriously about wanting a national competition.
They won't so they aren't serious. No problem though when it came to relocating us or shutting down Fitzroy so it may happen one day.

Yes. Am sure Baron Gil of McLaughlinland has a plan in the back pocket. A Tas team made up of a merged Carlton and Norf and a Canberra team nicknamed the St. Bernards??

Worst list I have seen in a long time at the club

To rely so heavily on Macca , jpk , Grundy and buddy is a massive worry going forward

I still don't think the list is too bad. I mean it has holes in it to be sure, but it is no where near as bad as the results would indicate. I think it is partly down to Longmire's awfully outdated gameplan and his refusal to play players where they are strongest.

There should not even be a question of Mills and Heeney in the midfield. It should be a given. Every other coach in the league would be playing them in the midfield.

Worst list I have seen in a long time at the club

To rely so heavily on Macca , jpk , Grundy and buddy is a massive worry going forward

How can you say worst list when the majority of the players on the list aren’t even developed yet? A lot of our 22 last night are still a few years away from entering their peak years, though I do worry what developing under this regime will do to them..

Keep telling yourself it’s rosy

I don’t think it’s rosy there’s flaws everywhere, but one thing I’m not panicked about is the youngsters. They’re as good as any in the comp, but can’t be carried through their inevitable down patches because there’s no strong experienced core to do so. West Coast are a good example. Brought in new faces last year, they weren’t always good, but half the senior players had career best seasons so it didn’t matter if Duggan, Barrass, Ryan, Rioli etc went missing.

I can’t see JPK or Parker or Buddy or Sir Dane or Reid having career best seasons this year, and so our youngsters end up exposed. Not their fault.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back