Analysis 2019 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Exactly, we’re just trying a few things. So how did people expect a game plan to come together on it’s first trial in a game the players weren’t totally invested in?

I might agree with the first part but not the second part.

They are 2 games away from R1, they damn well better be invested in a trial game, otherwise why bother?

I might agree with the first part but not the second part.

They are 2 games away from R1, they damn well better be invested in a trial game, otherwise why bother?

There's 75% investment and then there's 100% investment. Any professional footballer playing in the senior team would want to put in 100% in a home and away match, because a lot hinges on the result every week. But I'm OK with 75% in a dead rubber match where the result matters not one iota.

There's 75% investment and then there's 100% investment. Any professional footballer playing in the senior team would want to put in 100% in a home and away match, because a lot hinges on the result every week. But I'm OK with 75% in a dead rubber match where the result matters not one iota.

Ever heard the saying 'you play as you train'?

There isn't a magic switch. Anyone that thinks there is a magic switch is doomed to failure.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Brisbane is gonna be a sleeper for the 8 I reckon. I know its the JLT but geez looking at the Swans performance yesterday I'm a little nervous for Round 1.

In 2005 Carlton won the preseason cup and then finished last in the home and away season winning 4 games (the same amount of wins they got over the 4 preseason games).

Not worried until we fail in the games that actually mean something.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Ever heard the saying 'you play as you train'?

There isn't a magic switch. Anyone that thinks there is a magic switch is doomed to failure.

I think the saying is ‘you train as you play’ ;)
Ie. you should put in the same intensity at training so it carries through to games

There is most definitely a mental switch. The Swans came out as a team who wanted to (and instructed to) get ‘some run in their legs’. GWS attacked the game from the outset. That’s how I interpreted it anyway.

I think it's a naive perspective to think there isn't a switch.

Ie. you should put in the same intensity at training so it carries through to games

There is most definitely a mental switch. The Swans came out as a team who wanted to (and instructed to) get ‘some run in their legs’. GWS attacked the game from the outset. That’s how I interpreted it anyway.

I don't believe there is a switch. The people that believe there is a switch are generally the ones that get found out when s**t gets real.

Roger Federer joked after he won the Oz Open last year that he just turns up and wins...he joked because a journo asked him if he could turn up to grand slams and perform at his peak.

I don't believe there is a switch. The people that believe there is a switch are generally the ones that get found out when s**t gets real.

Roger Federer joked after he won the Oz Open last year that he just turns up and wins...he joked because a journo asked him if he could turn up to grand slams and perform at his peak.

It's a subliminal switch. The players themselves probably don't even realise it. It's not like they're actively deciding, 'ok tonight I'm gonna half-arse this.' But when you know there is nothing riding on the result, and you know every contest doesn't matter and scoring goals isn't vital, that urgency is gone. The players just don't have that desperation to want to kill every contest, attack every pack, get the ball at all costs. It only takes that slight dip in intensity for the wheels to fall off your game. That's why they're professionals, if you're off your game you'll be shown up.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
It's a subliminal switch. The players themselves probably don't even realise it. It's not like they're actively deciding, 'ok tonight I'm gonna half-arse this.' But when you know there is nothing riding on the result, and you know every contest doesn't matter and scoring goals isn't vital, that urgency is gone. The players just don't have that desperation to want to kill every contest, attack every pack, get the ball at all costs. It only takes that slight dip in intensity for the wheels to fall off your game. That's why they're professionals, if you're off your game you'll be shown up.

It’s also why it goes up a level again in finals.
Urgency/importance is increased.

If you 'train as you play', then you 'play as you train'...coz they're both the same thing..isn't that the point? Or am I confused?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
If you 'train as you play', then you 'play as you train'...coz they're both the same thing..isn't that the point? Or am I confused?

The saying comes from trying to get players to create the game day intensity at training so they take it into a game and do it more consistently.

If you say play as you train, and we play with low intensity, then one doesn’t want to be training at low intensity. :p

(But I do get what you mean lol)

The saying comes from trying to get players to create the game day intensity at training so they take it into a game and do it more consistently.

If you say play as you train, and we play with low intensity, then one doesn’t want to be training at low intensity. :p

(But I do get what you mean lol)

Yoda said it best...

"Do, or do not, there is no try".

Oh I’m sorry I thought this was the thread where we decide whether a team is any good or not based off one JLT game. My bad then

Indeed. Your bad. We were missing Buddy and possibly just Menzell from best 22. Reg, Smith, KJ and your favourite are borderline. The Dawks played kids, the Brions close to best 22.

We had our best midfield, the Giants were missing Kelly. They were also missing Green.

Indeed. Your bad. We were missing Buddy and possibly just Menzell from best 22. Reg, Smith, KJ and your favourite are borderline. The Dawks played kids, the Brions close to best 22.

We had our best midfield, the Giants were missing Kelly. They were also missing Green.

Our best midfield who weren’t at 100%. Who cares what GWS are doing. It’s JLT form. It means literally nothing. Everyone on here knew that beforehand and they know it now. I usually agree with a lot of your posts but I’d suggest you and a few others stop sucking on lemons and wait for the season proper, the only time footy matters.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
This is a brand new midfield group. Last week we were patting ourselves on the back because they thumped the Giants, now we're complaining how bad they are. Lets give them at least 3 games together before writing them off.

Also just saying, I don't want the Swans to be at their best for the first 10 games of the season. 2004 Saints won 10 in a row, 2016 North won their first 9. Did either of them win the cup?

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Harry Cunningham seems to have maintained his good form which is good to see. He's really working to his strengths and using his speed well. Where he was indecisive before he now just turns on the jets when he gets the ball and is always looking break the line. Had plenty of opportunities too considering how often we hugged the boundary line LOL.

Back