List Mgmt. 2019 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Damon_3388 - a few comments (some agreements & disagreements).

- Dawson Simpson has announced his retirement, so you can remove him
- Sam Reid won't be jettisoned - he's a cheap list filler and doing a job that Leon is happy with (& contracted to 2020)
- I don't think that Matt de Boer will be jettisoned either
- most would agree on Mumford, Shaw, Tommo, Buckley etc but not all will be given away - without the draft currency to replace them all I just can't see everyone on that list being pushed out

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I’d be trading out or retiring:
Heath Shaw
Simpson
Mummy
Tomlinson
Jack Buckley
Deledio
Patton
Possibly Cogs.

Get in some mature backup and a good ruck. Plus we’ll have at least a couple of first round draft picks.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Damon_3388 - a few comments (some agreements & disagreements).

- Dawson Simpson has announced his retirement, so you can remove him
- Sam Reid won't be jettisoned - he's a cheap list filler and doing a job that Leon is happy with (& contracted to 2020)
- I don't think that Matt de Boer will be jettisoned either
- most would agree on Mumford, Shaw, Tommo, Buckley etc but not all will be given away - without the draft currency to replace them all I just can't see everyone on that list being pushed out

Interesting, didn't know that about Simpson.

It would seem the priority would be finding a ruckman, then. Is there currency to make a big offer for Brodie Grundy? Would you consider bringing back Andrew Phillips (has performed well when he's played for Carlton over the past couple of years)?

I did probably go a bit hard on the veterans, and cut a bit deeper than will likely occur, but it's intended as a "step back to take two steps forward" kind of move.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Sounds like a spud to me maybe we are better drafting someone else

I’ve watched his tapes and from my eye he is a nice player and a player we don’t currently have specs wise.

No he’s not quick but he has great game sense and finds the ball, extracts and delivers it very efficiently. He doesn’t have a lot of depth to his kicking but when he has time he delivers it well.

There is some Clayton Oliver to him and Josh P Kennedy. He will make us better but we desperately need an injection of speed in there as well.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting, didn't know that about Simpson.

It would seem the priority would be finding a ruckman, then. Is there currency to make a big offer for Brodie Grundy? Would you consider bringing back Andrew Phillips (has performed well when he's played for Carlton over the past couple of years)?

I did probably go a bit hard on the veterans, and cut a bit deeper than will likely occur, but it's intended as a "step back to take two steps forward" kind of move.
There's certainly those on this board happy to cut hard on those they don't see as long-term value, but I think there's a balance of risk-reward vs known-unknown and the pragmatic element of what trade & draft currency we have.

On Grundy, I just can't see us having the $$$ for him - by all accounts looking for a massive payday. Can't see us going back to Phillips. The rumours are centring around Ryder or Jacobs - a Mummy replacement (couple of years left, reasonable skills) until Flynn & Briggs are ready to go (highly rated internally) - if Mummy retires then we probably need a second (cheap) ruckman.

I've said my piece earlier in this thread:

- Deledio & Mumford retirements (now add Simpson)
- Patton expected to be traded (saving $ primarily & a new start for him)
- Shaw one final year (maybe) on reduced coin
- Keeffe will presumably be held as both KPD backup and last resort ruckman
- I'd hold Bonar to see if he improves (others would trade) and Tommo depends on $$$ offers from elsewhere (keep if cheap, accept RFA compo if not)
- Buntine depends on totality of circumstances
- I'd delist Sheridan to create list space then rookie
- the two Buckleys I wouldn't have gotten in the first place, I'd happily delist both

The list is actually still in pretty good order; IMHO we need to not have a massive annual turnover of the kids because we start the development plan in NEAFL afresh every year. Next year - depending on what Cogs does - we need to see more of Caldwell & O'Halloran.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
He was different. Not like Wingard who blatantly said he would be back home in 2 years just a bit weird, asked a lot of questions and was a bit flat in some discussions. Point is, we needed a ruckman, he was rated a top 3 talent and we had 5 picks before he got called. It is a disgrace he was not selected, regardless of what would happen after.
While you might have a point I’m inclined to believe this is hindsight in action

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Cliffs for a neutral on why Bonar is considered such a lost cause? Former 1st Round pick just finishing his 2nd year, thought he'd be afforded a bit more time.

He shows glimpses of something but also just fades out and can be invisible. I don’t think he’s been given nearly enough opportunity, if you look at young Hill, he’s only showing flashes (albeit brilliant flashes) but he’s been given a chance to find his feet and grow confidence. Bonar hasn’t had the same fortune. It’s a shame as there is something there, probably just needs more time.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
He shows glimpses of something but also just fades out and can be invisible. I don’t think he’s been given nearly enough opportunity, if you look at young Hill, he’s only showing flashes (albeit brilliant flashes) but he’s been given a chance to find his feet and grow confidence. Bonar hasn’t had the same fortune. It’s a shame as there is something there, probably just needs more time.

Yeah, 6 games across two years, with barely 70% gametime, playing mainly as a forward with very little midfield time (my understanding is that he projects as a mid, kind of a similar player to Taranto, could be wrong), feels like it's a bit of a quick judgement.

How does he do in the NEAFL?

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah, 6 games across two years, with barely 70% gametime, playing mainly as a forward with very little midfield time (my understanding is that he projects as a mid, kind of a similar player to Taranto, could be wrong), feels like it's a bit of a quick judgement.

He goes ok but hasn’t dominated. If anything a guy like Shipley gets better numbers at NEAFL level but I’m not sure it matters, some blokes just have it and some don’t. Really not yet sure on him but too early to make a call.

Cliffs for a neutral on why Bonar is considered such a lost cause? Former 1st Round pick just finishing his 2nd year, thought he'd be afforded a bit more time.
Has the body to impose himself on a contest but doesn't. Struggles on the defensive side of things. A bit of an in-betweener as a result.

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS

No where near as good as his talent says he should which shows a lack of character for mine.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
GWS could do worse than get Goldstein who apparently is still our of contract at North.

Far better option than Ryder and important since GWS has been ineffective in this area all year!!!

Younger option will have to be developed but at this stage Goldstein would not be a bad window option!!
This.Is.The.Most.Sensible.Thing.You.Have.Said......Possibly.Ever

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
GWS could do worse than get Goldstein who apparently is still our of contract at North.

Far better option than Ryder and important since GWS has been ineffective in this area all year!!!

Younger option will have to be developed but at this stage Goldstein would not be a bad window option!!

He has a child in a difficult relationship set up. I doubt he can go interstate. Very good player.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Would fit our needs perfectly. Won't come.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think we need to keep as much of the depth we have as possible and why i think Sheridan will be retained as he would offer experience in the reserves and a mature player to step in if needed and depending on list space Buntine should be kept to fill this role as I cant see any club willing to take him but they need to freshen up the rookie list and exit the 2 Buckleys and Mumford is past it and use that salary on a better option for the list

I would take any 2 of Jacobs, Ceglar and Cameron as it sounds like the Bombers will put a good contract in front of Ryder although he would be able to offer the club something I think it depends on where he would want to be post playing career

Bonar hasnt delivered on his potential even in the NEAFL he is not doing enough and if he has a contract for between 300-400k for next year I dont think he will be able to deliver on that and the club would rather put energy into Shipley, Daniels, Taylor and Langdon from that draft and I think value would be anything between a mid 2nd to early 3rd for him

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think the article on the Patton situation is a bit ott and I agree that the club and player shouldnt risk injury if he is leaving on a trade and I actually would say thanks Jon you are fully recovered here is a early start to your holidays and you can turn up to day 1 of pre season for your new club and thanks for the 89 games for the club (Here is your bill for the 4 years in the rehab group)
Value 3rd rounder and we will see who we can trade you to I am sure not just the Hawks would be interested

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'd agree with most of your comment fridgeman except I'd prefer not to trade Bonar and see what another year can do. He may have thought it would all just come to him, so maybe needs to understand that he has to work for both a first grade spot and his $$. It goes along with keeping our depth reasonable and not having to continually jumpstart our NEAFL squad each year.

And while I never wanted Jack Buckley and would happily trade him in, if we lose Patton I don't think with our depth that we could afford to give away Jack Buckley unless we can identify a cheap replacement (DFA or State league player to rookie) IMHO.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I'd agree with most of your comment fridgeman except I'd prefer not to trade Bonar and see what another year can do. He may have thought it would all just come to him, so maybe needs to understand that he has to work for both a first grade spot and his $$. It goes along with keeping our depth reasonable and not having to continually jumpstart our NEAFL squad each year.

And while I never wanted Jack Buckley and would happily trade him in, if we lose Patton I don't think with our depth that we could afford to give away Jack Buckley unless we can identify a cheap replacement (DFA or State league player to rookie) IMHO.

In terms of tall forwards it would be
Cameron
HH
TOJ
Sproule
Keefe
Briggs (Ruck/Forward)
Tomlinson? Not really a forward
I think this is more than enough and not including if someone is traded/drafted, i like WAs Luke Jackson but I dont see the club having enough picks in the draft for him
Buckley has been playing as a winger and he has shown some good improvement but I feel his body is not up to AFL level in terms of handling the knocks and fitness required 9 games last year and 12 so far this year but my point is if he is breaking down at NEAFL level. what will happen when he is against much bigger and stronger bodies and with the medical staff at the Giants i dont think he will develop fast enough for the clubs liking. Delahunty I would see as a replacement and he has played about the same amount of NEAFL games and is more key position than Buckley

I would like the club to keep Bonar but the reality with the SC is that if he is on that mush he needs to be playing AFL and impacting games more than he has been and that money would be better going towards someone that will be able to play 15+ games at AFL level and with Caldwell and Hately needing to get more games next year I feel Bonar will be the sacrificial lamb to get a 2nd/3rd rd pick. this may change depending on what happens with Coniglio but regardless i think Bonar is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back