List Mgmt. 2019 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Great to see Finlayson go so well but maybe not so great for Patton and will be surprised if Patton isn't traded at the end of the year

Leon Cameron described Finlayson’s addition to fellow talls Cameron and Himmelberg as vital. “We all know how it’s unfolded,” he said. “It unfolded in round three and he kicked five goals (against Richmond) and the rest is history. “It’s fallen across our lap even though we did discuss it over pre-season. For Jeremy and Harry to kick two each and Jeremy Cameron to kick six, it’s a good return from your three tall forwards. “The thing I like about the three of them is their agility to play on the ground. They do score from ground level, but they also have an appetite to get after the opposition and put pressure on.”
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/dc3a6a1fb6c841cfe951f8f89e6b0f29

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hi guys. Just wanted to get GWS supporter comments on whether you think GWS would be keen to trade for pick 1 if the crows get it from Carlton. Knowing you have an academy prospect that is likely to be a top 3-5 ranked player in the draft, I am thinking that if you could secure pick 1, it allows you to draft a Rowell or Anderson and then use later points to match any bid for your academy prospect allowing you to get 2 fantastic mids to add to your already talent laden group. If that is a reasonable position to assume, what do you think would be a reasonable offer for pick 1? I am getting pushback for this line of thought on our board as most just want us to take best available, however I think that for the right offer, the club would be negligent not to consider trading it?

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Hi guys. Just wanted to get GWS supporter comments on whether you think GWS would be keen to trade for pick 1 if the crows get it from Carlton. Knowing you have an academy prospect that is likely to be a top 3-5 ranked player in the draft, I am thinking that if you could secure pick 1, it allows you to draft a Rowell or Anderson and then use later points to match any bid for your academy prospect allowing you to get 2 fantastic mids to add to your already talent laden group. If that is a reasonable position to assume, what do you think would be a reasonable offer for pick 1? I am getting pushback for this line of thought on our board as most just want us to take best available, however I think that for the right offer, the club would be negligent not to consider trading it?

Any team would be a little negligent not to consider it however we don’t have any high end South Australian talent and I would doubt our big guns would want to leave to go to a team in a similar spot to where we are (good but not necessarily a flag winner).

You guys need another elite mid so I would think would be all over Rowell and Anderson. I’m still not confident Carlton finish last they have been competitive in most games. I reckon by seasons end they will get past a few.

If you have one you take Rowell, he is a Rolls Royce.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Any team would be a little negligent not to consider it however we don’t have any high end South Australian talent and I would doubt our big guns would want to leave to go to a team in a similar spot to where we are (good but not necessarily a flag winner).

You guys need another elite mid so I would think would be all over Rowell and Anderson. I’m still not confident Carlton finish last they have been competitive in most games. I reckon by seasons end they will get past a few.

If you have one you take Rowell, he is a Rolls Royce.
Fair points and thanks. Personally I would not be averse to a big deal if offered - you guys have 2 x 1st rounders (yours and Essendon's) which are likely to be mid and late 1st round picks - would those and say a harry Himmelberg for the pick 1 and maybe a later pick be around the mark. Losing mid to late 1sts is not a big disadvantage to you guys so much as Green will require points and if a team bids early enough, those 1sts would be absorbed to pay for the player. I just think that the crows have to investigate all options and I just saw an angle that might benefit both clubs and be a win win

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Fair points and thanks. Personally I would not be averse to a big deal if offered - you guys have 2 x 1st rounders (yours and Essendon's) which are likely to be mid and late 1st round picks - would those and say a harry Himmelberg for the pick 1 and maybe a later pick be around the mark. Losing mid to late 1sts is not a big disadvantage to you guys so much as Green will require points and if a team bids early enough, those 1sts would be absorbed to pay for the player. I just think that the crows have to investigate all options and I just saw an angle that might benefit both clubs and be a win win
Of course there is no harm in asking the question.

But the reality of it is that if a club trades the number 1 pick, it would be a ridiculous deal. As in so skewed to your favour we would be furious. The scenario you suggest of two firsts and Harry would be exactly that.

Add to this that if any club does trade that pick the news stories for the next 10 years will track who "won" the deal for the next 10+ years and the scrutiny would be massive.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Of course there is no harm in asking the question.

But the reality of it is that if a club trades the number 1 pick, it would be a ridiculous deal. As in so skewed to your favour we would be furious. The scenario you suggest of two firsts and Harry would be exactly that.

Add to this that if any club does trade that pick the news stories for the next 10 years will track who "won" the deal for the next 10+ years and the scrutiny would be massive.
I don't disagree. I think it is more that with your academy graduate being so highly rated, doing something like that mitigates the loss of the 1sts you currently will get being purely used for points (ie if a club used pick 3 to bid on Green, it would eat up most of the 1st round points you currently have, so keeping them might not be as advantagous as it normally would be). GWS is probably in a unique situation this draft. But it was just more to get a feel whether trading the pick could end up a win win

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I don't disagree. I think it is more that with your academy graduate being so highly rated, doing something like that mitigates the loss of the 1sts you currently will get being purely used for points (ie if a club used pick 3 to bid on Green, it would eat up most of the 1st round points you currently have, so keeping them might not be as advantagous as it normally would be). GWS is probably in a unique situation this draft. But it was just more to get a feel whether trading the pick could end up a win win

Doubt a club bids on him that early but i see your point

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'm in the 'price for pick 1 would be too high'. I can't think that we could subsequently get the points for Tom Green (without trading out someone else), so while getting Rowell/Anderson too would seem great, i cannot see how it would come off. Also, i am of the view that having too many guns doesn't actually help - as we cannot play them all, and some leave. So i would prefer to stick with getting Green (unless we actually would give him up for Rowell/Anderson).

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

I think Dunkley will be one of the 1st chosen and I dont see any needs on the list that will be filled by a mid season pick up as with building the fitness and communication with team mates I think it is too short a time frame IMO
The ones that could be wildcards would be Maguire and Smout from Canberra if the coaches see potential in either of them

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Coburg defender Lochie Dickson's sudden rise from local footballer to VFL star inside 18 months has the 23-year-old firmly in the frame to be selected on Monday night. Armed with breakaway speed and a sharp sidestep he credits from his junior touch rugby days, Dickson's start to 2019 has created a buzz among AFL recruiters. He has attracted interest from multiple clubs including Gold Coast, Sydney and GWS, and will be one of 25 hopefuls to undergo a medical screening on Wednesday.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-22/financial-project-manager-shapes-as-midseason-draft-bolter

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-05-22/lloyd-and-flynn-resign

2 more resigned and I hoped Flynn would be signed up in the first part of the season it is good for his security and although his numbers are not massive rucks are a long term investment and I set the goal for him to play 5 AFL games this year but I think the emergence of TOJ as a forward has meant that a spot has not been there for him but hopefully he can get a debut this year, turns 22 during the finals so I think the club has given him the opportunity to try and turn himself into a AFL ruckman with this contract
Lloyd I think would have been after the security for his family and not huge money but he has been a solid contributor and hopefully he can still add some more to his game. It will be interesting to see how he goes over the rest of the season as he will be under pressure for his spot some weeks imo

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Not to be one to bathe in the misfortune of others but with Daniher and Smith out for the Bombers for the season it looks like the Shiel trade will produce a top 10 pick this year
I can see some form of injury review going on at the club and without having the full details I am sure many are questioning the clubs management of Daniher and his injury issues the last 2 years

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Not to be one to bathe in the misfortune of others but with Daniher and Smith out for the Bombers for the season it looks like the Shiel trade will produce a top 10 pick this year
I can see some form of injury review going on at the club and without having the full details I am sure many are questioning the clubs management of Daniher and his injury issues the last 2 years
what a win for us

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Weird as they didn't question the systematic doping.

Sad for the players, would never wish injuries on players, but it's nice to have it possibly work in our favour for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back