List Mgmt. 2019 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
The one benefit with Ryder is that he has shown the ability to not only play ruck but also play at both ends of the ground and when we were chasing him a few years ago we were actually looking at him as a defender. So if Briggs suddenly develops at quick rate then at least Ryder can add to our depth with talls.

But do wonder if the media is just assuming we are chasing Ryder because we chased him a few years ago.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
God I hope we don’t chase Ryder

I think better younger options will come available.

RFC could off load one of their rucks, even Nank if he wants to have a crack somewhere else and he was in Sydney before, I have no close connection to the club so this is just as a distant observer. Richmond have Soldo, CCJ and Chol developing under him offering different set-ups as well as other part time options like Balta depending on how we go as we maximise our list potential. Then there are rucks like Witts who are better off at GWS than marking time at Gold Coast for the next few years as well as other prospects. Adelaide have Obrien, Jacobs was chasing Grundy so something has to give there...

To be honest as a independent observer even Ryder to Gold Coast, Witts to GWS would make sense

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Time will tell as always but would like to think that the likes Taranto and Hopper have shown over the last few weeks that life will go on fine for the club with or without cogs. As far as being the clubs heartbeat I find that hard to say about a guy who has always been slow to re-sign in the past while in comparison Toby Greene has always been quick to re-sign with the club and has always been a big believer in the club and to me that's what the heartbeat of the club does.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
If this is correct it’s the most disappointing news in the club’s history. This bloke is a core member and is the heartbeat. If bloke’s like him go we are just a development side.
Won't be happy if he goes, but I would say Greene, Haynes, Taranto, Hopper, Kenners, Toj etc guys who have signed early and without fuss as the heartbeat.
Hell Toj got told to look around and he wanted to stay.

If this is correct it’s the most disappointing news in the club’s history. This bloke is a core member and is the heartbeat. If bloke’s like him go we are just a development side.
It'd be bad for morale within the team too - from the young guns all the way to the squad leaders.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Time will tell as always but would like to think that the likes Taranto and Hopper have shown over the last few weeks that life will go on fine for the club with or without cogs. As far as being the clubs heartbeat I find that hard to say about a guy who has always been slow to re-sign in the past while in comparison Toby Greene has always been quick to re-sign with the club and has always been a big believer in the club and to me that's what the heartbeat of the club does.

I won’t argue with anything you’ve written as you are a legend as far as I’m concerned and always speak with a good deal of common sense. Just upsetting if true as we do get attached to these people.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Agree with this.

As soon as Taranto’s new contract was announced I had the feeling he was out the door (ie coniglio says he is out so they race to sign up the other young guns).

The idea was that we dumped Shiel, Lobb, setterfield and Scully’s wages so we could keep coniglio and Kelly. To then have coniglio leave would be very disappointing from the club. It would be eve more disappointing if he left for Vic because it wouldn’t be the go home factor.

Ultimately the club will be fine. We have a solid group of young midfielders and it further spreads the age profile (still prob have to many from that initial draft) but losing a spiritual leader hurts

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
To go to Carlton is a headscratcher. Brett Ratten is quoted today that he told StKilda to get going with their coaching appointment as they risk missing out on signing new players if they don't do it soon. Get the feeling his manager has told all interested parties to make their final offers. I hope we don't budge, getting sick of this every year.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I dont think Ryder is the best solution to the ruck situation and I would want Goldstein or McEvoy but that is not going to happen so it is being realistic about who could be available and the club would be able to afford SC wise without breaking the SC to the detriment of the pay structure the club has
Ryder although not a super tall ruck has a good leap and is mobile enough to have played forward ruck but what is important is he has been relatively durable throughout his career and if it is 2 years at 400k I would be happy if the club tried, it is all dependant on if he is willing to move the family again and if he has other clubs offering a more attractive package
Not sure what other rucks could be on the move but Ceglar has been mentioned and he would be a affordable option but does the club rate him we may get an idea friday night as to how he plays as lead ruck, would he be interested in a move to Sydney and turns 29 in February so younger and only 73 games and he missed 2017 with an ACL but he has been durable apart from that although he has shared ruck duties many times
In terms of other possible experienced rucks I cant think of any others so it would be the club looks at Cameron (Swans) but I think the club will look at 2 rucks over the trade draft period but they will be cheap

I am still confident that Coniglio will stay but if he has not signed by finals that will change and if he does leave he will miss out on captaining the club and being part of the future of the club and the history that is being made. I will take the compensation pick and it would hopefully mean the club can look to add a decent ruck to the list and with how Hopper and Taranto have gone this year I have faith that the inside mids will be another strong part of the team and with Ward to come back as well and how Greene has played since his role change
With Carlton not having a head coach confirmed for next year I still see the Hawks as the most likely destination but still plenty of time till that stage is reached

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I have to say this really sucks. I’ve lost a fair bit of motivation. It seemed like the club had identified him as their main target.... and we still can’t retain him.
So disappointed.

liam123

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Be great for the competition if cogs stays with you guys. Bit s**t that everyone wants to head to vic these days

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Just read An interesting article suggesting we organize a trade with north similar to the lids trade whereby we overpay with picks in return for them paying part of the salary. In this case it was us overpaying in first round picks for Higgins and Goldstein

To be honest I think it’s worth considering. Imagine a trade period with green Higgins and Goldstein as the return.

I see real merit in it esp if cogs does go

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Just read An interesting article suggesting we organize a trade with north similar to the lids trade whereby we overpay with picks in return for them paying part of the salary. In this case it was us overpaying in first round picks for Higgins and Goldstein

To be honest I think it’s worth considering. Imagine a trade period with green Higgins and Goldstein as the return.

One benefit of getting Higgins and Goldstein to GWS is that they are super durable players who rarely get injured - as compared to recruiting say Deledio when his calves were already shot.

Giants really should only be trading for blokes with rock solid bodies going forward. The list is full of crocks at present.

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS

I wouldn’t want to stay and play under Cameron either.

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
That’s for a different thread

This is about potential trades mate
To a point.

If Coniglio leaves to go to the Hawks for similar money that we’re offering I’m pointing my finger at the chubby gnome as the reason why he walks.

The coach is a very real factor on who stays and who leaves.

Don’t kid yourself otherwise.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
To a point.

If Coniglio leaves to go to the Hawks for similar money that we’re offering I’m pointing my finger at the chubby gnome as the reason why he walks.

The coach is a very real factor on who stays and who leaves.

Don’t kid yourself otherwise.
So why did kelly stay? What about Haynes? Hopper? Are they just dumb are they?

I could go on. Don’t try this bullshit manipulation of the facts to suit your narrative

Now if you want to talk about coaching go to the coaching thread

I’m happy to discuss trades here

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
So why did kelly stay? What about Haynes? Hopper? Are they just dumb are they?

I could go on. Don’t try this bulls**t manipulation of the facts to suit your narrative

Now if you want to talk about coaching go to the coaching thread

I’m happy to discuss trades here
You’re not the boss around here champ.

If it is my opinion that Cameron at the helm is the reason why Coniglio seeks a TRADE, this is the place to express it.

I couldn’t give a stuff what you are happy to discuss or not discuss - so pull your bloody head in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back