List Mgmt. 2019 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
What would be a better return for 6 and your future 1st, pick 3 or pick 10 and 2 future 2nds?
Rekn freo and gws can work out trades that help both get green and henry
I think that both Melbourne & Adelaide will ask too much because they have no real reason to swap with us - essentially they want as a premium for the trade the picks/points we would need to pay off Green. So a swap with Freo & live swap on draft night could be mutually beneficial because Freo have an eye on Liam Henry and the risk that Melbourne or Carlton bid before pick #10. However, that probably loses us the guys we're targetting (albeit while getting some extra 2020 points) , so the potential is that we don't match Green and simply take the kid we want at #6. It may depend on what the recruiting department are hearing and how much risk they are prepared to take. There are plenty of machinations to play out yet!

Jebus18

Debutant
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think that both Melbourne & Adelaide will ask too much because they have no real reason to swap with us - essentially they want as a premium for the trade the picks/points we would need to pay off Green. So a swap with Freo & live swap on draft night could be mutually beneficial because Freo have an eye on Liam Henry and the risk that Melbourne or Carlton bid before pick #10. However, that probably loses us the guys we're targetting (albeit while getting some extra 2020 points) , so the potential is that we don't match Green and simply take the kid we want at #6. It may depend on what the recruiting department are hearing and how much risk they are prepared to take. There are plenty of machinations to play out yet!
Yeah the feeling im getting is Melbourne are gonna use the media to say they gonna bid on green at 3 and henry at 8 and try get gws and freo to pay way overs in trades to get those picks so I rekn freo and gws would be better off trading with each other, but as you said alot depends on what player gws want out of it

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah the feeling im getting is Melbourne are gonna use the media to say they gonna bid on green at 3 and henry at 8 and try get gws and freo to pay way overs in trades to get those picks so I rekn freo and gws would be better off trading with each other, but as you said alot depends on what player gws want out of it
Unfortunately that's the kind of shitty thing that clubs can do under this system - although my view is that Melbourne has not been like that in the past. I've a bit of a view that if Green is bid particularly high - higher than he's worth - we may just shrug our shoulders. I think other clubs assume we'll match or do any deal necessary, so it wouldn't hurt to stupefy them. And if Melbourne takes Green, well, he's exactly what they don't need, so they * their list management if they do so and that would be a laugh!

If we did do a swap with Freo, then we'd end up matching Green; and the other 9 picks before that Freo pick #10 came to us (sliding to #11) you'd expect to be along the lines of Rowell, Anderson, Serong, Young, Ash, Flanders, Stephens, Robertson (who would be your other pick if Stephens is gone?) and ... maybe one of Weightman / Kemp / Gould / Jackson. If GWS saw value in grabbing one of those 4 (such as Kemp sliding due injury but could be the best of class, Jackson we've been linked to, Gould I like and could be a Shaw replacement; or potentially one of the earlier kids who has slid) then yes it would be a worthwhile swap - and mutually beneficial for Freo as you get an earlier and guaranteed pick before needing to match Henry. Mutually beneficial is the sweet spot for trades!

And no doubt we'd have massive melts from the Victorian media about us putting Green on credit and also getting someone else - that would be worth the LOLs. So hell yes, let's do it!

TryAnHit

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
For some reason it feels gws moved up to get someone else instead of green (not like you need inside mids)
To get a pick in before green you would have to get to 3...
If they wanted green they could have just kept 12 and 18 and matched.
Possibly take someone they like at 6 and just let green go

Jebus18

Debutant
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unfortunately that's the kind of shitty thing that clubs can do under this system - although my view is that Melbourne has not been like that in the past. I've a bit of a view that if Green is bid particularly high - higher than he's worth - we may just shrug our shoulders. I think other clubs assume we'll match or do any deal necessary, so it wouldn't hurt to stupefy them. And if Melbourne takes Green, well, he's exactly what they don't need, so they fu** their list management if they do so and that would be a laugh!

If we did do a swap with Freo, then we'd end up matching Green and the other 9 picks before that Freo pick #10 came to us (sliding to #11) you'd expect to be along the lines of Rowell, Anderson, Serong, Young, Ash, Flanders, Stephens, Robertson (who would be your other pick if Stephens is gone?) and ... maybe one of Weightman / Kemp / Gould / Jackson. If GWS saw value in grabbing one of those 4 (such as Kemp sliding due injury but could be the best of class, Jackson we've been linked to, Gould I like and could be a Shaw replacement; or potntially one of the earlier kids who has slid) then yes it would be a worthwhile swap - and mutually beneficial for Freo as you get an earlier and guaranteed pick before needing to match Henry. Mutually beneficial is the sweet spot for trades!

And no doubt we'd have massive melts from the Victorian media about us putting Green on credit and also getting someone else - that would be worth the LOLs. So hell yes, let's do it!
Yeah i think it would be best for both clubs to deal with each other, so we trade our 2 future 2nds for 6 pre draft and once a green bid has come and been matched then we trade you 10 for a future 1st, and yes the vic salty tears would be worth it alone, and never know jackson could possibly be there at 10 still as he seems to be rated from 3-15

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
It’s a really interesting problem to have. I would love to know our priority in this trade period... I think we are likely to give up a lot to get ahead of the bid. I don’t really see why we would do that unless there was a needs now player

the only way I can see that being the case is if we don’t have Shaw on the list this year. Is it possible we haven’t heard a re-signing announcement because we and him are waiting to see is we draft a young or ash as a replacement? If we do does he retire? Just a thought

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
For some reason it feels gws moved up to get someone else instead of green (not like you need inside mids)
To get a pick in before green you would have to get to 3...
If they wanted green they could have just kept 12 and 18 and matched.
Possibly take someone they like at 6 and just let green go

Have heard we like a bunch of players but honestly it would be pretty hard to swallow if we have a player of Green’s ilk under our nose and bypassed him. It would make a bit of a mockery of having the Academy imho. Yes he is similar to Hopper and Taranto but he does look elite and at some point players will leave due to cap pressure/retirements. I think Cal goes down back next year and I think he will be an All Australian there with his toughness and arrow like kicking.

Last edited:

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
if we don’t have Shaw on the list this year. Is it possible we haven’t heard a re-signing announcement because we and him are waiting to see is we draft a young or ash as a replacement?

The reason we probably haven’t heard of a re-signing announcement is that he’s contracted for next year already. Signed a two year last year.

Interesting days with Green. Melbourne have form with academy players, bid on Heeney at 2 and Mills at 3, Adelaide also have form bidding on a couple of yours recently and North's Thomas at pick 8 last year. Swans of course see Green as the ideal player.

So all three clubs before pick 6 are likely to/definitely will bid on Green. You lost points moving up to pick 6 so I can't see you just sitting on it, surely going to make Melbourne a deal for pick 3 to ensure you get the player you want at pick 3 plus Green who maybe pick 4 which will be ouch in burning 2020 points.

If you pull that off the VFL media will fume :)

Draft Bored

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ricciardo, Red Sox
Lets assume a Green selection doesn't come, can anyone tell me what happens if GWS take someone like Jackson at 6 and then Green is selected at 7?

Can GWS match, and if so how do they pay with nowhere near enough points this year. Are they;

- given 5 mins to try to trade future picks into this draft?
- or do they go into next year with a points deficit?
- or simply can't match?

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Lets assume a Green selection doesn't come, can anyone tell me what happens if GWS take someone like Jackson at 6 and then Green is selected at 7?

Can GWS match, and if so how do they pay with nowhere near enough points this year. Are they;

- or simply can't match?
In your scenario I believe we would go into deficit to match

I doubt the bid won't come... I think we will trade up and even then still be in deficit next year.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

- or simply can't match?

My understanding is we go into next year with a points deficit moving us down a few slots for our first pick

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Look before now I’ve been on the ash or young train

however I’m just sold on Luke Jackson after watching that highlights reel on afl.com
Get him in!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

however I’m just sold on Luke Jackson after watching that highlights reel on afl.com
Get him in!

This is where I’m at currently as well. Ash has been my pick due to need but I think we a ruck/forward is just as much a need and Jackson looks the goods.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Unfortunately Townsend was delisted by RFC.

I think it would be a good idea if Townsend was interested for the Giants to pick him up to bolster their depth and forward line.

Gives GWS a few options, helps Greene play more time in the guts, helps GWS get a bit tougher and fairer, helps Finalyson becoming more versatile as he plays in different roles making GWS harder to match up on

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Mark Stevens reckons Townsend coming back is a done deal. Good cheap as chips borderline 22 player.

At least he makes you depth stronger especially in an area where you are a little light.

Helps other player around him raise their level to try and win spots, point of difference to relieve pressure of the other forwards at times and helps forward transition be less predictable.

I think overall he makes your list more formidable and he is a solid citizen to foster the right values to succeed while also only being 25 or so

TryAnHit

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Get him in!
I wonder if gws moved up to 6 to get Jackson and are happy to miss out on green if he gets bid on earlier then 6.
Didnt make much sense to move up to 6 and then match a bid on green given the previous draft hand was more points.
Not like you guys need inside mids and are going to need a new ruck in 1-2 years.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I wonder if gws moved up to 6 to get Jackson and are happy to miss out on green if he gets bid on earlier then 6.
Didnt make much sense to move up to 6 and then match a bid on green given the previous draft hand was more points.
Not like you guys need inside mids and are going to need a new ruck in 1-2 years.

Umm....nah.

You don’t bypass this when it is gift wrapped and dropped on your doorstep -

We will be taking him regardless.

Last edited:

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
That’s a pity - would have liked Towno back, but now Mark Stevens reckons it’s a done deal - you can guarantee it’s not going to happen.
Different types but would rather Sam Murray or Robertton than Townshend personally.Thats if there getable.Townshend would be at least 4th in line behind Greene ,Cogs and Lloyd for that role

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
My updated first 22 with depth:
Williams Davis Shaw
Ward Taylor Haynes
Whitfield Cogs Kelly
Greene Cameron Daniels
Hill HH Finlayson
Jacobs DeBoer Taranto