Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is martin a small fwd? well there you go, didn't realise he was (or are all aborigine players small fwds?)

We have the National draft and rookie drafts to get as many small fwds as the nuffies want - or do small fwds have to be 22yr+and not 18?

What pick was eddie betts when we drafted him?
Our recruiting team has tried that method and failed. Lebois, Pickett, Garlett, Deluca, Sumner, Fasolo, Polson to name some.

I’d suggest we need a forward line that’s capable of kicking a lot more goals. Lots of room for improvement with the players on the list.
true but none of them are small forwards except eddie and he will almost certainly not improve.

If cuningham can play 22 games we'll be okay but certainly don't want our teams prospects to rely on his health

true but none of them are small forwards except eddie and he will almost certainly not improve.

If cuningham can play 22 games we'll be okay but certainly don't want our teams prospects to rely on his health
I think DC can be a player but I don’t see him as a small forward. Apart from Eddie I think someone on the list who is small and nippy around packs will have to rise above the pack. I suppose DFAs might throw up a candidate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gc will draft Martin

he's just anther player in the draft that goes where he's drafted

gc can't let players walk away for nothing and didn't
From what I can gather, he can put a massive price tag on himself in the PSD, which GCS and Demons likely wouldn't match, so we get him that way.

Similarly, if he is forced into the ND, he can put an equally massive price tag on his head in order to deter other clubs. Luke Ball did that before the 2009 draft in order to land at the Pies in the ND.

The risk with that is that there may be other clubs like the WB's that also have space in their salary cap, who could beat us to the punch, if we choose to gamble selecting him with a lower pick.

So, to be honest, I have no idea what may eventuate....although he may well just sign on for another year at GCS and exercise his free agency options in 2020.

Last edited:
I don't think that would be wise to do by Carlton

we had the chance to trade for him and asking him to do this when you didn't think that much about him with picks is a bit rich
It's not Carlton's choice, it's the player's choice what path he chooses to take....the club then attempts to facilitate the player's request if they have come to an agreement.

If the player has no desire to return to his present club, what other option does he have?

It's not Carlton's choice, it's the player's choice what path he chooses to take....the club then attempts to facilitate the player's request if they have come to an agreement.

If the player has no desire to return to his present club, what other option does he have?
yeah sure

but Carlton have to ask that player and that player won't do it of course

Martin plus getting to use pick 9 in the draft. It's not Martin and Papley but it's still a bloody good result provided that is the result.

Tigers drafted Rioli in 2015 and he was an important player in their 2017 grand final win.

Hawks Drafted Rioli in 2007 and he played in their 2008 grand final.

The beauty of needing small forwards is generally they don't take long to mature and generally don't cost much to bring in. If we bring in 18 year olds and they can play they are going to be ready to go pretty soon.

We'd be dreadfully unlucky not to bring in a few good smalls this year. We have Betts. We're likely to get Martin and if there's any quality in this draft at all then pick 9 should get them.

The best thing is we go into next year's trade period guns blazing and fully loaded with salary space and a full profile of early picks and unless things change, players wanting to come to us.

Excited to see who pick 9 might be.

Last edited:
Don't think we're in the position to criticise them. They identified needs, found the players, and most importantly they got the deals done. Sure they overpaid for Hill, but that's the game. Eagles overpaid for Kelly, the pies with Treloar, the Dons with Shiel.

These are 4 very different examples. Tick for Eagles for sure. Pies not quite so much. Scum ****ed up badly. Saints yet to be seen.

Martin plus getting to use pick 9 in the draft. It's not Martin and Papley but it's still a bloody good result provided that is the result.

Tigers drafted Rioli in 2015 and he was an important player in their 2017 grand final win.

Hawks Drafted Rioli in 2007 and he played in their 2008 grand final.

The beauty of needing small forwards is generally they don't take long to mature and generally don't cost much to bring in. If we bring in 18 year olds and they can play they are going to be ready to go pretty soon.

We'd be dreadfully unlucky not to bring in a few good smalls this year. We have Betts. We're likely to get Martin and if there's any quality in this draft at all then pick 9 should get them.

The best thing is we go into next year's trade period guns blazing and fully loaded with salary space and a full profile of early picks and unless things change, players wanting to come to us.

Excited to see who pick 9 might be.
The worry is we are about 0-5 of finding small forwards so far.
If we get Martin in the PSD I think we have still done pretty well. For me Butler hurts if he was open to moving to us. Just delist someone like Lang, DeLuca or Polson and make room for him as insurance.

I don’t know what we offered for Papley but I think with him in our side and with the compromised draft next year our future second would be worth about 30. I would of offered pick 9, future second for Papley and some late pick back. Statistically I think we would have been better off.
My worry is if we do miss Martin we are now not a lot of bad luck away from potentially struggling again next year which makes everything much tougher. (Attracting players, players not looking elsewhere for big dollars, developing players ect)

The worry is we are about 0-5 of finding small forwards so far.
If we get Martin in the PSD I think we have still done pretty well. For me Butler hurts if he was open to moving to us. Just delist someone like Lang, DeLuca or Polson and make room for him as insurance.

I don’t know what we offered for Papley but I think with him in our side and with the compromised draft next year our future second would be worth about 30. I would of offered pick 9, future second for Papley and some late pick back. Statistically I think we would have been better off.
My worry is if we do miss Martin we are now not a lot of bad luck away from potentially struggling again next year which makes everything much tougher. (Attracting players, players not looking elsewhere for big dollars, developing players ect)
I know I will get s**t thrown at me, but I still think SOS did a good job here.

We did not lose any Key players !!!!!

Papley was a great potential addition, but Swans did not play ball. After weeks of negotiating if SOS caves and throws in more than #9 - then he sets up a future expectation that SOS will cave. At least everyone knows that SOS does not cave in to pressure (yet again).

Martin is similar. GCS were pushed by AFL (bless them) to go hard. Every commentator said that a first round pick for Martin was excessive. GCS did not cave as they already had #1,2,15 and 20 (thanks AFL). SOS may get Martin in PSD at #3 and all is OK. But seriously should SOS have caved and paid #9 and 2020 2nd for Martin and #15. Looks a stupid deal to me, so happy to see what unfolds.

We paid more for Pitonet than we got for the more established (but older) Phillips. I am OK with this as whilst Phillips was good, we get a ready to go younger option with potential to play on long after Kreuzer has exited and until TDK becomes a dominant beast. Smart business there.

Eddie was not SOS idea, but if the Coach wants him how can you argue with losing a 2020 4th. Hope Eddie adopts Simmo'esq powers and plays on for a few years at a high level.

We can still get Sam Grey (DFA?) or Newnes or riley Knight if we still need older bodies. But do they really enhance our team?

Pick #9 should be a good player. Bonus!!!

Noted that Dekonig, Dow and Manton are not ranked in top 30 of draft. Might be a sneaky chance to get to us if we want them.

Lots still to come....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back