Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was one predicted deal with suns by cfc05. You never know, they may come back with their tail between their legs and offer a deal that is too good to refuse (plus 100% guarantees we get Martin - which is 90% at the moment)

I have seen a few people mention doing a deal, not just one.

We are in a great position now. GC can try re-draft Martin but they won’t. They know they won’t. We know they won’t. Everyone knows they won’t.

It is only that idiot Cochrane and his loud mouth trying to beat his chest from a position of weakness.

They can approach us if they like but we owe them nothing.

I wouldn’t even pick up the phone at this point. There is no reason to. It does nothing to eliminate the only other possible team from drafting him - Melbourne.

Not to mention it could be seen as draft tampering.

We are in a great position now. GC can try re-draft Martin but they won’t. They know they won’t. We know they won’t. Everyone knows they won’t.

It is only that idiot Cochrane and his loud mouth trying to beat his chest from a position of weakness.

I wouldn’t even pick up the phone at this point. There is no reason to. Not to mention it could be seen as draft tampering.

I agree, nothing will happen

It was one predicted deal with suns by cfc05. You never know, they may come back with their tail between their legs and offer a deal that is too good to refuse (plus 100% guarantees we get Martin - which is 90% at the moment)

No. If they grow up, and realise this was a major * up by Cochrane, they'll do the right thing and just delist him.
They're not getting anything for him either way.
So they can be generous to a player who has given them 7 years service and who they tried to * over, or not. We're getting him for free either way, it's just going to be a difference in weeks.

I wouldn’t even pick up the phone at this point. There is no reason to. It does nothing to eliminate the only other possible team from drafting him - Melbourne.

Not to mention it could be seen as draft tampering.
phone call from SOS to Cochrane....

SOS: "Hello Cochrane, if you delist Jack, we'll trade pick 9 to you on draft nite for some loose change, just a few late picks"
Cochrane: "ok, done deal, it's about time you came to your senses"

Draft nite...

Cochrane: "That's funny, SOS's phone seems to be turned off"

We came together last night for a chat all things AFL Trade period, including the Daniher deal and how that affected our pursuit of Papley, the Martin situation, Pick 9, fallout and angst from our own wheelings and dealings, new acquisitions and more. Throw us a listen via the links in our signature.

Why would gold coast do that? I would take that in a heartbeat as a carlton fan.

They are now in a position where they lose Martin for nothing. They have four outcomes from here:
1. Martin signs a new contract with them (least likely, and outside their control);
2. Trade with Carlton to ensure they get something back, even if minimal.
3. Martin goes to PSD and they match his bid, therefore paying more $$ and having a player who wants to walk.
4. Martion goes to PSD and they allow him to go to Melbourne or Carlton, receive nothing. However send a message to the league we won't be walked on.

Whilst the message piece is strong, I don't believe it materially decreases by doing a pick swap post trade period. The message has been sent, and it is only because we are so close to bottom we can leverage the PSD. Regardless the best material outcome now for GC is scenario 2, get something even if it isn't a "fair deal".

They will sell it to their members by saying they always wanted a first round pick involved, and they now have 3 top 10 picks. They rate the top 10 in this draft better than the next bunch, etc...

From GC's perspective, that is why they do it.

We do not owe them anything, however if we can improve our current position and guarantee a player we want - why would we not do it. If we can't, you walk away.

Luckily we don't have people who are too proud to pick up the phone making these decisions. Trade period (which is still active for draft picks) is a fluid time, things change with regularity. If SOS believes his ideal player from 5-20 will be available at 15, why on earth would you not try and make a move. If GC don't budge or improve his position, he hangs up the phone after the discussion.

The bolded part is 100% wrong!

A delisted free agent walks straight on to club of choices list, if Martin is a DFA and wants to go to Carlton, Melbourne can do absolutely nothing. So by its very nature it does the exact opposite of what you said, it eliminates the only other possible team from drafting him.

Hence, it is my prediction.

We do not owe them anything, however if we can improve our current position and guarantee a player we want - why would we not do it. If we can't, you walk away.

Luckily we don't have people who are too proud to pick up the phone making these decisions. Trade period (which is still active for draft picks) is a fluid time, things change with regularity. If SOS believes his ideal player from 5-20 will be available at 15, why on earth would you not try and make a move. If GC don't budge or improve his position, he hangs up the phone after the discussion.

The bolded part is 100% wrong!

A delisted free agent walks straight on to club of choices list, if Martin is a DFA and wants to go to Carlton, Melbourne can do absolutely nothing. So by its very nature it does the exact opposite of what you said, it eliminates the only other possible team from drafting him.

Hence, it is my prediction.

Yes, sorry I thought you were suggesting doing the swap on the guarantee they wouldn't take him in the PSD.

Always look to improve your position, so if we can do that, and guarantee picking up Martin as a DFA, that does make sense.

Ok, time to dispel a few myths in this thread:

1. The window for trading players has past, players can no longer be traded until just under a year from now.

2. The only trades from now until the end of the national draft involve picks only.

3. While the AFL would approve the proposed trade 9 + steak knives for 15 & 20 + steak knives, there is little to no incentive for Gold Coast to do this due to the even spread of talent from around 4-20 (at least from what I've seen).

4. Gold Coast have zero need for points for the next 3 years unless the AFL revoke their concessions (which wouldn't come into effect until the 2020 draft).

5. Gold Coast have almost zero need for late picks.

Levi and Cottrell re-sign for another year (club email) :thumbsu:
So at this stage the only rookie we haven't recommitted to is Deluca, which makes things interesting for Archi Manton.

Best thing about our trade period, we lost 0 of the players we see in our future!

If we can re-sign Setterfield, McGovern, Stocker, Plowman, Murphy, Kruezer, Ed Curnow and maybe a few others early, this will set us up for our future.

All our stars have signed onto longer term contracts and id suggest we will be a major player at the end of 2020 with cash to burn.

Would not surprise me if we go hard after playerssuch as: Grundy, Whitfield, Caldwell, Wines, Papley, Petruccelle, Viney, Duncan

Best thing about our trade period, we lost 0 of the players we see in our future!

If we can re-sign Setterfield, McGovern, Stocker, Plowman, Murphy, Kruezer, Ed Curnow and maybe a few others early, this will set us up for our future.

All our stars have signed onto longer term contracts and id suggest we will be a major player at the end of 2020 with cash to burn.

Would not surprise me if we go hard after playerssuch as: Grundy, Whitfield, Caldwell, Wines, Papley, Petruccelle, Viney, Duncan

One of these things is not like the other...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do we sit atm..

34 seniors/4 rookies + question mark on Deluca?

So only 5 seniors to come? Possibly, Martin = PSD, Newnes = DFA.. only 3 drafted in ND?
But if we promote Gibbons/Goddard?

Unless we were to delist more/not re-sign Deluca.

We don't have a small forward problem.

While the Teague Train was on the tracks our pressure and retention was "up there" with the best in the league, Add superstar offensive threat in Eddie and it is no big issue. Papley would have been spectacular, but we will still be improved. Cuningham has plenty to offer if his body improves. The pressure from Gibbo and co was (dare I say it) elite, late in the season. Owies untapped. Martin has some forward creds despite being more mid/winger, and is 99% ours.

Fair chance we will pick up a young forward prospect for Eddie to mentor. If we don't jump early on one of the higher rated kids, someone like Josh D'Intintosante with a later pick is a fine prospect.
If cuningham plays 22 games we have no small forward problem.

IF....

Ok, time to dispel a few myths in this thread:

1. The window for trading players has past, players can no longer be traded until just under a year from now.

2. The only trades from now until the end of the national draft involve picks only.

3. While the AFL would approve the proposed trade 9 + steak knives for 15 & 20 + steak knives, there is little to no incentive for Gold Coast to do this due to the even spread of talent from around 4-20 (at least from what I've seen).

4. Gold Coast have zero need for points for the next 3 years unless the AFL revoke their concessions (which wouldn't come into effect until the 2020 draft).

5. Gold Coast have almost zero need for late picks.

So at this stage the only rookie we haven't recommitted to is Deluca, which makes things interesting for Archi Manton.

Surely Deluca did enough for at least another rookie contract? Surely.

Comes in halfway through the year and plays almost every game for the rest of the year, out of position, and showed competitiveness and kicked some goals.

Surely Deluca did enough for at least another rookie contract? Surely.

Comes in halfway through the year and plays almost every game for the rest of the year, out of position, and showed competitiveness and kicked some goals.

Showed enough for mine.

If we cut him, it would be a massive waste of the MSD pick #1

If we don't split pick 9 I'm hoping we bid on both Maginness and Henry then pick Weightman.

Or if we split the picks i hope we get Bergman, Taheny, Williams or Taylor and Kysaiah Pickett with a later or rookie pick.

Betts is a nice addition but Butler was the big prize? Never has a player's stocks risen as fast as Dan Butler post trade period.
Papley went from being a good small forward to someone that would single-handedly determine the success of our club going forward.🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back