Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case we need a similarly aged mid to late 20s aged Rickman who can give us at least 2 or 3 years. Jacobs might have 1 year left at best.

Sure, but I don't think we see Jacobs as a priority.

More likely we see an out of contract ruck and given we're in the market, we're doing our due diligence.

I don't think we'll bring Jacobs in and my preferences lay elsewhere, but I see nothing wrong with the club exploring its options. That's exactly what they should be doing.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Analysing drafting is subjective but on your above analysis, I think you’re being very generous with some calls.

If a player like O”Rourke’s career is derailed by injury and is traded then delisted by another club, I put it down as a miss.

Picket showed nothing at either club and was plagued by poor professionalism and injuries but it’s a miss.

It seems you are trying to make excuses for SOS bad calls and praise his good ones.

FWIW I think his drafting for us has been really good, except Finbar and the rookie drafts.

Perhaps. I think it's harsh to criticise a recruiter for selecting a player who suffers numerous subsequent injuries, particularly as fans with limited insight. Would Pickett have had the fitness issues if he'd had an injury-free run for his first few seasons? We'll never know.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Perhaps. I think it's harsh to criticise a recruiter for selecting a player who suffers numerous subsequent injuries, particularly as fans with limited insight. Would Pickett have had the fitness issues if he'd had an injury-free run for his first few seasons? We'll never know.

Who knows, you could make cases similar for most players who don't kick on, for various reasons.
On a seperate note, relating to SOS's drafting, did you see Cripps and Doc taking the piss the other day, stating SOS thought they were crap, as he had about 10 picks and picked everyone either side of them. Was quite funny.

Jacobs & Betts back , Whats the bet jeffy has been spoken to

Surely not. We don't need to become a retirement home for past players who have outlived their usefulness elsewhere.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I can't understand why we would go after Jacobs. 31 years old and so slow. Game has moved past him. Surely our recruitment team can find a younger decent ruckman for cover?

Could be a combined playing/coaching role. Lobbe was highly regarded for the work he was doing with TDK's development (and presumably a bit of work with Harry). Now that he's gone, a low value one-year deal for Sauce that leads into a coaching position could be worth exploring. One year of providing emergency ruck depth (and he's still a more than handy AFL-level ruckman) as well as developing our long-term ruckman, then reassess at the end of next year as to whether he does the same again in 2021 or just moves into a purely coaching role.

Not a bad option to have if Darcy Cameron potentially lands somewhere else, I reckon TDK is only 18 months off being able to play the best part of a season in the seniors.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Very different circumstances.

At GWS SOS had a wealth of high draft picks, and therefore the luxury of being able to take significant risks at the draft knowing that if a player didn't pan out quickly they could be traded away before their value dropped too far.

2011:
Pick 1: Patton (miss) - injuries
Pick 2: Coniglio (hit)
Pick 3: Dom Tyson (miss)
Pick 4: Hoskin-Elliot (miss) - miss? handy player
Pick 5: Buntine (miss) - miss? handy player
Pick 7: Haynes (hit)
Pick 9: Tomlinson (hit)
Pick 10: Sumner (miss)
Pick 11: Greene (hit)
Pick 13: Taylor Adams (hit)
Pick 14: Devon Smith (hit)

6 hits
5 misses

Very bad ratio of hits and misses. (I've got it as 2 misses and a bit of bad luck with Patton - 8.5 from 11 is a good strike rate)

2012:
Pick 1: Whitfield (hit)
Pick 2: O'Rouke (miss) - injuries
Pick 3: Plowman (miss) - miss? handy player
Pick 12: Jaksch (miss)
Pick 14: Aidan Corr (miss) miss? handy player, injury affected

1 hit
4 misses

Shocking performance from SOS in for the 2012 1st round draft picks. (2 misses, 2 good role players, 1 star - 3 from 5 is pretty good - 2012 was also a diabolical draft pool)

Pick 1: Tom Boyd (miss) - harsh, won the Dogs a flag, ruined by mental health issues
Pick 2: Kelly (hit)
Pick 14: McCarthy (miss) - miss? handy player

(No major misses here, two players that jumped ship, but he also fleeced Melbourne to the tune of Josh Kelly)

Pick 4: Pickett (miss) - injuries
Pick 6: Marchbank (miss) - miss? handy player, injury affected
Pick 7: Ahern (miss) - miss? injury affected and finding his feet at NM

(Once again, a bit of poor luck with injuries, but another really weak draft pool to select from)

So yeah, I don't subscribe to this "poor drafting history". None of the players who have left have really been missed, and they cashed in on a few of them along the way. The club was in a pretty unique position where they were able to use multiple first rounders every year but only really needed one or two to come on to keep their list healthy.

Took a similar approach at Carlton but had to work to engineer the picks.

Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Cuningham, Petrevski-Seton, Dow, O'Brien, Walsh, Stocker. I'm more than happy with that bunch of selections.
I think the way you are looking at it is very simplistic
2011 Sos missed on
5 Wingard verged on draft tampering by saying he wanted to stay in SA
8 Longer - ultimately a bust
13 Doc - turned into a gun
15 BEllis - Ok player no real loss
17 Clay Smith - good player but cruelled by injury
20 Crozier - OK player Wouldn't get a game at GWS
25 Seb Ross - OK player Wouldn't get a game at GWS
Didn't miss much apart from Doc (Given Wingard would have probably left and wouldn't have helped with the culture)

Given that they also picked up Treloar, Shiel, Cameron and another 9 young talents it is then about trying to balance the list. No point having 10 inside mids if they aren't going to get games. It is a very different scenario to other recruiters.

Made a big mistake not taking Grundy in 2012 though especially given how poor that draft was and their need for a ruckman. Though most would have have taken Longer in 2011 with the draft pick they had and then probably passed on Grundy.

Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Heat
My big worry is what this means for Northern's weekly side and TDK's development. Would've liked to see him get far more of a split in the middle this year.

This is exactly it, TDK got basically 0 game day development as a ruck this year due to injury and sharing ruck duties with Flip and Lobbe. Unfortunately for TDK, he is the best natural forward of the 3, so he got the most forward time.

I'd only be ok with getting Sauce if Phillips moves on and we get Cameron, since Sauce and from what I've heard Cameron can rest forward and let TDK do some ruck work.

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Reports Martin has nominated Carlton as his destination club ...lets hope we don't sell the Farm to get the deal done
Martin would be an X factor player along the lines of Eddy. If we can pick up Eddy then the three amigo's will be back.
Media reports also stating that the Carlton recruitment team is split. SOS does not want Eddie and Jacobs, and was also against Ellis. Hope this is all BS.
Pushing hard for Papley, and no doubt Swans will want our first round draft pick for him which is probably reasonable.

Jan 16, 2005
paradise
AFL Club
Carlton
Martin would be an X factor player along the lines of Eddy. If we can pick up Eddy then the three amigo's will be back.
Media reports also stating that the Carlton recruitment team is split. SOS does not want Eddie and Jacobs, and was also against Ellis. Hope this is all BS.
Pushing hard for Papley, and no doubt Swans will want our first round draft pick for him which is probably reasonable.
I would give 8 for papley

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I reckon a big reason O'Brien at Crows 'burst onto the scene' so much this year was because he's basically been getting unfiltered first-ruck experience in their seconds for years. Will take a lot longer for TDK if he's only been getting 20-40% most weeks.
As I have previously stated, Carlton has a fetish about Ruckmen. Let the kid develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back