Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod Notice:-

Continued from here ...

The 2018 National and Rookie Drafts will be completed later today and we'll all know who makes up our Playing List.

How will the players we acquired during the trade period complement what we've already got??? Will our draftees prove to be the missing pieces of the jigsaw puzzle??? And can the new crop of Rookies be good enough to make their way onto the main list in the next year or so???

We've made changes to our High Performance, Coaching and Fitness Staff. Will they prove to be the difference for players such as Cuningham, Fasolo, Williamson, Setterfield and Pickett??? Can they accelerate the development of TDK, Macreadie, LOB, Dow and SPS???

Who are you expecting to step up and who do you think is skating on thin ice??? Who do you think will come into the side and who goes out and why??? No playing list is perfect of course, so what areas would do you think SOS, Agresta and Brodie still need to address??? Should we still be aggressive chasing out of contract stars or with our lack of Picks should we be concentrating on Free Agents???

You lot have never been backwards in coming forwards. Go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeh not having a go at Dow at all. His second season at the end of his career will be irrelevant. More just wondering how best to develop the kids. The extra opportunities we gave him sort of done nothing for his development imo.

I think it depends on how we are going . If we are playing finals than I think it’s irrelevant because it’s starts becoming about the now. (Especially with how close the comp is now with no powerhouse sides) That probably depends a lot on who we can bring in at the end of this season though. Looking at someone like Walsh he doesn’t have to be given opportunities because he demands it through performance. I’m happy for all our kids to do that and if that means playing an older, better player over them than so be it. We already have enough kids demanding opportunities anyway.

Most 2yr players have had significant downers this year, notable exceptions being Naughton, Worpel & O.Allen as the higher achievers. Hunter Clark has been good of late but following VFL time (can be beneficial).

Agreed, Dow’s exposure hasn’t really displayed much this year in terms of development looking from the outside. Hopefully he gets a full pre-season in and lessons learnt are applied with his game sense in season 3+.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Not long to wait now Harks.
If the latest mail re Teague is right, a genuine quality small forward will be at the top of the shopping list ...
I don't have any links, but I am sure after assuming the top job, or perhaps just before, Teaguey made a reference to the fact that we may just have one coming through already.

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
That he has done. Mr Owies perhaps...?
Cuningham?

Could've been a few different players, they've all been good lately. What I have noticed is teams are no longer walking the ball out of our backline and running through the zone without any pressure like they were earlier in the year.

Teague might not have a Betts or Milne at his disposal but he's introduced some brutal forward pressure and completely shut down the oppositions run out of defence. Have a look at last week against Adelaide. Kennedy 7 tackles, Dow 6. DeLuca, Silvagni and Gibbons 5 each.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm sorry everyone, but I cannot abide Schumacher and Goddard getting contracts for next year. I'm not going to put today's result on them, but they are not even good depth for an AFL team, let alone prospects with significant upside.

Schumacher has almost zero physicality to his game, and Goddard has even less speed, and it hurts their ability to provide defensive cover for the team. Long kicks, but not enough of a consistent combination of zip and precision. Between the two of them, it honestly looks like Schumacher sneaks Goddard his card for the weights room, so no one tracking the logs realises he's never set foot in the place.

Lang and Garlett aren't doing themselves massive favours either, but at least they have the raw athletic tools to work with.

We probably need to clear out 3 of them along with Fasolo, Le Bois and Kerr, then get one of Polson and O'Dwyer onto the rookie list. That opens up some exciting opportunities for us through the draft and free agency periods.

EDIT: I've left out Phillips and Lobbe, who are arguably a foregone conclusion.

Last edited:
I'm sorry everyone, but I cannot abide Schumacher and Goddard getting contracts for next year. I'm not going to put today's result on them, but they are not even good depth for an AFL team, let alone prospects with significant upside.

Schumacher has almost zero physicality to his game, and Goddard has even less speed, and it hurts their ability to provide defensive cover for the team. Long kicks, but not enough of a consistent combination of zip and precision. Between the two of them, it honestly looks like Schumacher sneaks Goddard his card for the weights room, so no one tracking the logs realises he's never set foot in the place.

Lang and Garlett aren't doing themselves massive favours either, but at least they have the raw athletic tools to work with.

We probably need to clear out 3 of them along with Fasolo, Le Bois and Kerr, then get one of Polson and O'Dwyer onto the rookie list. That opens up some exciting opportunities for us through the draft and free agency periods.

You're wrong with Schumacher. My opinion.
Schumacher represents something that can be massaged into a good piece of the puzzle, but Goddard looks likely to be a door stop.
Schumacher does have physicality and so does Goddard, but Schuey just has more to work with and develop.

You'll likely be disappointed should either be moving on this year. There are others far more 'worhty'

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
You're wrong with Schumacher. My opinion.
Schumacher represents something that can be massaged into a good piece of the puzzle, but Goddard looks likely to be a door stop.
Schumacher does have physicality and so does Goddard, but Schuey just has more to work with and develop.

You'll likely be disappointed should either be moving on this year. There are others far more 'worhty'
Tell me the position and role you see Schumacher playing at AFL level, and then tell me the skillset he will bring to that.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Tell me the position and role you see Schumacher playing at AFL level, and then tell me the skillset he will bring to that.

He wasn’t quite up to the level today, in his first game, against the best team in it. But he showed quite a bit. Watch the set up for our last goal again.

On that showing, I’d be shocked if he’s cut.

HBF.
Good mark and positions himself well in the contest.
Vision is of a good standard.
Kicking looks good, but doesn't weight it all too well for now. Something to work on.
No fear attacking the ball, nor the contest
Reminds me of Birchall.

That's what I have and he won't be going anywhere. Now what have you got?

He has to get on the field for more than 6 games a year, which is his average. What are we gonna do for the other 16+ games a season?

donut-getty.jpg

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings

Weren't you big on using him as an inside midfielder? What changed?

I've never rated him much, he's only worth a 1 year extension at best to see if he can get his running and physicality up another notch, but I've never seen him as a long-term prospect.

He needs to decide what kind of player he is going to be. There is no place in the AFL for a 190cm defender who is neither physically able nor fleet-footed.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
He wasn’t quite up to the level today, in his first game, against the best team in it. But he showed quite a bit. Watch the set up for our last goal again.

On that showing, I’d be shocked if he’s cut.
Like I said, I'm sure this seems harsh, but he's a second year player and he's weighing in at barely over 80 kgs, without any pace, agility or endurance to his name compared to players his own age, let alone the wider AFL.

He doesn't have a single AFL weapon right now, nor has he shown a spark at VFL that suggests why we made that investment in him. Do you have a successful yardstick to compare him to in the AFL system?

HBF.
Good mark and positions himself well in the contest.
Vision is of a good standard.
Kicking looks good, but doesn't weight it all too well for now. Something to work on.
No fear attacking the ball, nor the contest
Reminds me of Birchall.

That's what I have and he won't be going anywhere. Now what have you got?
Has no ability to hold his ground. Virtually no physical development. Birchall was significantly faster and fitter at the same age.

Next.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I like what I see from Schumacher. Something to work with and keeps improving. Certainly worth another year. Goddard has been good this year. Unlucky with Broken jaw and today was tough for our defence. Again worth another year IMO.

With 3 weeks to go the ones that are borderline are Lobbe LeBois Garlett Fasolo Kerr Lang and maybe an older player.

Last edited:

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
I like what I see from Schumacher. Something to work with. Certainly worth another year. Goddard has been good this year. Unlucky with Broken jaw and today was tough for our defence. Again worth another year IMO.
Goddard has been brilliant in the VFL but unfortunately he's not an adequate depth option at AFL level due to his lack of pace, no point keeping him on the list imo.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah shown up for pace today big time.. and size. Eagles definitely roid'n again...allegedly.

Try to avoid hot takes on first gamers...Simmo rule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back