Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgers45

Witnessed 8 flags
Apr 1, 2011
Mornington Peninsula, Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
What if we happen to miss out on Cogs & Swans won't let Papley go? Surely there is a Plan B. With all this money in the kitty, I hope we don't end up with nothing. What about having a crack at Brad Hill or Ed Langdon from Freo. Both decent players, and would fit our required positions and age demographic perfectly.

What if we happen to miss out on Cogs & Swans won't let Papley go? Surely there is a Plan B. With all this money in the kitty, I hope we don't end up with nothing. What about having a crack at Brad Hill or Ed Langdon from Freo. Both decent players, and would fit our required positions and age demographic perfectly.

Of course we will have contingency plans in place, as will every club.

Hill and Langdon will both be good fits but we're not going to spend for the sake of spending.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor

Riley Beveridge has said for a number of weeks that Papley is highly unlikely to leave Sydney this year.

Swans will do what they can to retain him.

He's out of contract next year so that will open the door for clubs to go hard and negotiate if he wants to leave.

He also said that he has strong connections with both North Melbourne and Carlton. Where he would go is unknown at this stage.

Last edited:

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Hill yes, Langdon no, he turns the ball over too much by foot for my liking.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
This is the trade I'd be looking at:

Carlton In: Jack Martin & Brisbane's 2019 1st round selection.
Carlton Out: Adelaide's 2019 1st round selection.

Assuming Adelaide's pick is around 7-9 and Brisbane's is between 15-18.

Maybe some later pick swaps in there too.

Keep Brisbane's pick and try and draft either Luke Jackson or Brodie Kemp.

Hopefully one will slide out to that pick noting:
1. Kemp has done an ACL.
2. Jackson primarily plays ruck. Clubs don't generally pull the trigger on rucks with picks at the very pointy end of the draft.

No1Suspect

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2010
In the shadows
AFL Club
Carlton

1. Kemp has done an ACL.
2. Jackson primarily plays ruck. Clubs don't generally pull the trigger on rucks with picks at the very pointy end of the draft.
Brisbanes pick or GC?

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Riley Beveridge has said for a number of weeks that Papley is highly unlikely to leave Sydney this year.

Swans will do what they can to retain him.

He's out of contract next year so that will open the door for clubs to go hard and negotiate if he wants to leave.

He also said that he has strong connections with both North Melbourne and Carlton. Where he would go is unknown at this stage.
Sydney will get more for him driving a hard bargain whilst in contract a year early if he really wants out. Depends on what his personal desire is. If he is desperate to get home, doesnt want to be there they will trade him. Whether we have the tools to make it happen another story would be my take.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
I want Langdon because he can do what a lot of our kids can’t and that’s run and accumulate. His kicking is the biggest worry but that’s why we could get him for pick ~20 and $500k and not pick 5 and $800k. Between him, Walsh and hopefully LOB we can actually have really strong runners and that’s vital to maintain defensive pressure and makes the rest of the side better.
A pick in the range that would be needed could probably be flushed out in other trades too without giving up much at all.

BrisbaneCFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Pretty certain that one of the ITK posters said neither of the Hill's would be coming to Carlton and I don't think Ed Langdon is any better than what we already have on the roster. Besides, he butchers the ball a lot, we already have plenty who do that.

BrisbaneCFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

1. Kemp has done an ACL.

So you want to pick swap and get Jack Martin for essentially nothing at all? Interesting proposal.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Remember next year we should see big jumps in output from dow, setterfield, stocker, LOB and fisher. our lack of midfield depth now is only really because of the age of our smalls than anything else. I don't see langdon as bringing anything that we won't be able to grow organically. We're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel but there's still no rush. If we can't get any elite free agents then no problem we develop the youth we've suffered to acquire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Of course we will have contingency plans in place, as will every club.

Hill and Langdon will both be good fits but we're not going to spend for the sake of spending.

Our contingency won’t just be accepting it of contract or free agents, we will be aggressive at the trade table and all picks will be up for grabs. The club have said the hard work has been done and now is time to inject some finishing touch to our list build.

Priorities need to be an established quality mid, a small forward & a long term Krueger replacement. We should be targeting players who are OOC next year, players like Oli Florent, Jack Petrucelle, Liam Ryan,

TPC05

GGpoker
Feb 28, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
If the dream comes true and we can bring in Coniglio and Papley then next years subjective best 22 and how old they turn.

Doc 27 Jones 29 Plowman 26
SPS 22 Weitering 23 Marchbank 24

Walsh 20 Curnow 31 Setterfield 22
Kruezer 31 Cripps 25 Cogs 27

Cuningham 23 Curnow 23 Fisher 22
Papley 24 McKay 23 McGovern 26

Bench from
Newman 27, Murphy 33, Thomas 33, Simpson 36, Casboult 30, Gibbons 25, LOB 21, Dow 21, SOJ 23, Kennedy 23, Stocker 20, Williamson 22.

If these kids are a special group, even just better than average than age is not an issue at all next season. With that age profile there’s absolutely zero reason we shouldn’t be playing finals next season other than a horrible run of injuries, poor development or overrated talent.
Get those two and our wait for becoming a good side should be over.

Speechless at this rate tbh Gibbo > Fish only really on current form

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Afl.com.au & Fasolo contract:

“After signing a one-year deal with a trigger for a second season, the veteran forward has managed just three games all year and doesn't appear likely to be at Ikon Park in 2020”

After 20 odd weeks of speculation I'm sure they are words most of us would be very happy to read.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Daisy to not be offered a new contract according to MMM's star sauce Tom Browne.

Would be a shame because he is a bit of a heart and sole player, but understandable with Doch coming back, Newman & now SPS locked away as our half back flankers he probably is touch and go to be a best 22 player in a fully fit team, which for a 32 year old means its time to hang them up.

He has his misdemeanour mid year, but apart from that the reports on his influence on the group has been huge so I wonder if perhaps there might be a spot for him in a coaching/mentoring type role.

Re. Thomas

Why wouldn't he be offered another year?

Is it because his output has diminished? NO
Is it because of his age? We were happy to give Murphy 2 years last year and he's the same age, so - NO
Is Thomas a bad influence around the club? NO
Is Thomas asking for a lot of money? NO
Are there ready made replacements for Thomas's role? Can we be sure Docherty & Williamson will be good to go? NO

Have we targeted someone we know is coming and will be more than a quality replacement for Thomas?
This is the only thing that makes sense on face value.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If the dream comes true and we land Coniglio and one of Papley or Gray ... what does our Best 22 look like? Just as importantly, what does our best say 28 look like (to cover injuries, matchups and form dips)? Does DThomas make the cut?

FB: Plowman Weitering Marchbank
HB: Docherty Jones Newman

C: Murphy Cripps SPS
Foll: Kreuzer Coniglio Walsh

HF: Fisher Harry Cuningham
FF: Gray Charlie McGovern

Int: JSOS, Setterfield, Dow, LOB
Em1(3): Casboult, Simpson, Gibbons
Em2(3): TDK, Stocker, Daisy

Depth: 2020 draft picks, Phillips, Kennedy, Williamson, Deluca, Schumacher

IMO, everyone up to the second set of Emergencies are best 22 calibre. So hard to fit in, but just shows we have an amazing crop of players to choose from if all fit and we get Cogs and an elite small forward.
Backline looks incredible.
Midfield is wow.
Forwardline is deadly.
Bench is choc full of talent.
Emergencies are a mix of veterans ready to step in, and young prospects who are waiting to explode onto the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back