Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the only way i'm ok with getting Jacobs. So Kreuz, Jacobs, Cameron & TDK.

Lol imagine we do get Jacobs and Eddie back. Poor Gibbsy left on his own over there at a sinking ship.
glenelg go alright I think...…...for a palindrome club...…….

What I want to see from the CFC is that once a player comes to us, they become the better player.
Hard to say whether we now have the right formula in place with Teague & Russell, but it's what we need to show for future players wanting to come to us.
No team can get this right 100% of the time, but we have to become more of a Hawthorn in this department than a Melbourne.

Re. Cameron:
What is it exactly do we see in a 24/5 year old that has a history of having played 1 AFL game?
Even when he had the door open to him this year, Sydney opted for non-ruckman in front of him. What do we see?

If Jacobs does come in with a bigger picture in view..........Phillips has to go.
We can't walk into next season with 4 ruck-men again. That's simply dumb.
Kreuzer.....ruckman X and DeKoning. That's it. No more padding up.

Happy to miss on Cameron and evaluate the situation properly in 2020. Much smarter way to go.

rog1995

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
If Jacobs does come in with a bigger picture in view..........Phillips has to go.

Happy to miss on Cameron and evaluate the situation properly in 2020. Much smarter way to go.
The issue is that in two years we only have Dekoning as a ruck on our list..

The issue is that in two years we only have Dekoning as a ruck on our list..

As if we won't be shopping around when we need to be?
If the right pieces don't fall in line this year, we prioritise them, for the next.
This gives us the ability to gauge where DeKoning may be along evaluating the results of Kreuzer & Phillips.

Key here is not to panic and not to burden ourselves with too may talls. It won't end well this way.

Re: Jack Martin.

I have made my thoughts on him as a footballer very clear, and I have no issue bringing him across, as long as we're not giving a lot to do it.

It's a great sign though that he wants to come to the club, and from what our ITKs have suggested, on a smaller contract than what he may have received had he chosen to go elsewhere.

That's a tick for him and a massive tick for the club.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Martin is a talented player who unquestionably improves the list.

But we need to understand that he doesn’t solve the small forward problem. He’s a half forward/mid who has some forward craft.

Butler is still a must and this trade shouldn’t compromise our ability to get papely if he’s gettable

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Martin is a talented player who unquestionably improves the list.

But we need to understand that he doesn’t solve the small forward problem. He’s a half forward/mid who has some forward craft.

Butler is still a must and this trade shouldn’t compromise our ability to get papely if he’s gettable
Butler far from a must with Papley + Betts, but still a value add.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Re: Jack Martin.

I have made my thoughts on him as a footballer very clear, and I have no issue bringing him across, as long as we're not giving a lot to do it.

It's a great sign though that he wants to come to the club, and from what our ITKs have suggested, on a smaller contract than what he may have received had he chosen to go elsewhere.

That's a tick for him and a massive tick for the club.

It's a smart move by the club.

He's a player with scope for improvement and won't cost an arm and a leg in terms of draft picks.

We should play him on the wing, not half forward.

I think he'll elevate his game standing alongside Cripps.

He's an outside midfielder that didn't have enough inside support at GC.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Butler far from a must with Papley + Betts, but still a value add.
I'd love to have a mosquito fleet....with Martin, Betts, Papley and Butler added to our list it'd make us pretty dangerous with our big forwards.

I'm not forgetting what we have though...love the work of Gibbo, JSOS and Cuners causing some havoc up forward this year...we'd have some pretty good options. Not sure where that would leave Finbar, or even Owies....although I'd have a fair idea.

Another mature mid during the trade period would be kind of handy though.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Three quality trades that will project us up the ladder in 2020:

Running Defender: Tom Williamson type.
Midfielder: Jack Martin (seemingly locked away) :whitecheck:
High Half Forward/Small Forward: Either a David Cuningham type or a genuine small forward.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton

High Half Forward/Small Forward: Either a David Cuningham type or a genuine small forward.
Tom Cutler would be one that may fit the bill....us and Collingwood have been sniffing around him

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton

Interesting that you have Martin pegged as the mid. One of the few. I personally don't see him in any one role - more a utility. Sure, he's been playing mid for GC but that's not his go. Could play anywhere between the arcs - one of the final pieces of the puzzle. Importantly, he has competitiveness and talent in spades.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Interesting that you have Martin pegged as the mid. One of the few. I personally don't see him in any one role - more a utility. Sure, he's been playing mid for GC but that's not his go. Could play anywhere between the arcs - one of the final pieces of the puzzle. Importantly, he has competitiveness and talent in spades.

Don't think he played as much midfield time as what people think.

In the games I saw he was stationed in the forward line.

He'll be elite feeding off Cripps as an outside mid. Trust me. Don't worry about playing him across half forward. Find someone else such as a Sam Gray to play that role. Quality ball user with a heap of tricks. He'll surprise on the upside next season.

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't think he played as much midfield time as what people think.

In the games I saw he was stationed in the forward line.

He'll be elite feeding off Cripps as an outside mid. Trust me. Don't worry about playing him across half forward. Find someone else such as a Sam Gray to play that role. Quality ball user with a heap of tricks. He'll surprise on the upside next season.
Preaching to the converted.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Very pleased with the Martin news today and the reported trade price would be a bargain.
We can guesstimate the price for Papley should he nominate us will be ~ pick 8.
Butler Betts and Cameron could be added for little outlay.
That would leave a quality experienced mid to round out an awesome trade period and we’d have our future 1st as collateral ...

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

Problem is, as we had previously, 3 rucks out with injury and we were left with Cas as the sole ruck, who was well beaten. STK also threw their rucks around in the 2’s between the 2 teams, something we’d need to investigate.

In saying that, Cas was much improved but there’s also the possibility he may not be around.

Read somewhere you can never have too many rucks (may have been around Essendon’s woes) but I’d say 4 is the right amount.

It's a smart move by the club.

He's a player with scope for improvement and won't cost an arm and a leg in terms of draft picks.

We should play him on the wing, not half forward.

I think he'll elevate his game standing alongside Cripps.

He's an outside midfielder that didn't have enough inside support at GC.

I think his best position is out on a wing, but I am not convinced he has the consistency to thrive there.

Maybe that changes in a better team and with a dominant inside mid alongside but it mostly has to come from within IMO.

His versatility is a massive plus, but inconsistency a massive negative. For the mooted price of a second round pick (or equivalent) it is a gamble well worth taking.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
I think his best position is out on a wing, but I am not convinced he has the consistency to thrive there.

Maybe that changes in a better team and with a dominant inside mid alongside but it mostly has to come from within IMO.

His versatility is a massive plus, but inconsistency a massive negative. For the mooted price of a second round pick (or equivalent) it is a gamble well worth taking.

He was inconsistent because he was playing for an inconsistent/poor team.

He'll definitely thrive in a new environment.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Problem is, as we had previously, 3 rucks out with injury and we were left with Cas as the sole ruck, who was well beaten. STK also threw their rucks around in the 2’s between the 2 teams, something we’d need to investigate.

In saying that, Cas was much improved but there’s also the possibility he may not be around.

Read somewhere you can never have too many rucks (may have been around Essendon’s woes) but I’d say 4 is the right amount.

Maybe 3 rucks on the main list and a rookie listed ruck then?

Ruckmen tend to be very injury prone, especially us with Kreuzer and Phillips

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

We are on the up and he should be a vital cog for our side going forward, if he works hard.

If he doesn’t, we have enough competition for spots to force him to spend time in the vfl me thinks

I am not convinced, but as I said, happy to see how it plays out for the reported asking price.

No doubt he can be a valuable contributor going forward if it clicks for him.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe 3 rucks on the main list and a rookie listed ruck then?

Ruckmen tend to be very injury prone, especially us with Kreuzer and Phillips
Yeah but it doesn’t change too much unless they’re a Cat B or a newly drafted colt (2yrs).
Kreuzer 1yr
Phillips offered 1yr but could be another replacement
Darcy Cameron could be a DFA & 1yr could suit there as well
That leaves TDK (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back