Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
If Jacobs does come in with a bigger picture in view..........Phillips has to go.
We can't walk into next season with 4 ruck-men again. That's simply dumb.
Kreuzer.....ruckman X and DeKoning. That's it. No more padding up.

Happy to miss on Cameron and evaluate the situation properly in 2020. Much smarter way to go.

I would say 4 is the perfect number, but most need to be dual position, hence why I am not interested in Jacobs

TDK, McKay, Cameron, MK

Levi as a backup down the spine

Delist Phillips

Then find a replacement for Levi/MK in the next year or 2

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't think he played as much midfield time as what people think.

In the games I saw he was stationed in the forward line.

He'll be elite feeding off Cripps as an outside mid. Trust me. Don't worry about playing him across half forward. Find someone else such as a Sam Gray to play that role. Quality ball user with a heap of tricks. He'll surprise on the upside next season.
The forwards get pretty high under Teaguey. Case in point Gibson linking up with the half backs. That would be perfect for Martin.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Yeah but it doesn’t change too much unless they’re a Cat B or a newly drafted colt (2yrs).
Kreuzer 1yr
Phillips offered 1yr but could be another replacement
Darcy Cameron could be a DFA & 1yr could suit there as well
That leaves TDK (2021)
While there are some seemingly decent young rucks available for drafting this year, I would be amazed if we don't wait for next year to draft a rookie ruckman.
Sam's little brother Henry Walsh would be a prudent get, both on potential and the insurance factor for his "big" brother. Crippa's "little" brother Joshua is also reported to be a promising young ruck, although has not been seen in WAFL colts as yet.

Cameron has projected well for many years. He is as much forward as ruckman too, which would fit well with TDK's development and the balance at the Northern Blues post Kerr and Lobbe. We have not heard anything on the futures of both Levi and Phillips, it is not inconceivable that both could be gone. This would clearly explain the consideration being given to Sam Jacobs.

Back to Cameron, he has had injury setbacks through his career, struggling to get on the park for much of 2019. Questions over his abilities through having Aliir Aliir preferred at one stage are off the mark. The nature of his injuries are surely in need of close scrutiny. His 2018 season in the NEAFL was a stellar one, reportedly averaged in excess of 150 Supercoach points across the season, so has sufficient promise to peak our interest. He would have shared time at Claremont with our own SPS and player rep footy beside Patrick Cripps. At the Swans with both Nic Newman and Tom Papley also so has some links to current and projected players. Alex Johnson also provides a link and a reference, as does List Manager Mick Agresta. One would expect we have done due diligence.

Cameron is certainly in the sweet spot of our ruck needs by age profile, and perhaps all we need is insurance, although it would be difficult to perceive that we would recruit him if we didn't believe he could cut it at the top level.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
While there are some seemingly decent young rucks available for drafting this year, I would be amazed if we don't wait for next year to draft a rookie ruckman.
Sam's little brother Henry Walsh would be a prudent get, both on potential and the insurance factor for his "big" brother. Crippa's "little" brother Joshua is also reported to be a promising young ruck, although has not been seen in WAFL colts as yet.

Cameron has projected well for many years. He is as much forward as ruckman too, which would fit well with TDK's development and the balance at the Northern Blues post Kerr and Lobbe. We have not heard anything on the futures of both Levi and Phillips, it is not inconceivable that both could be gone. This would clearly explain the consideration being given to Sam Jacobs.

Back to Cameron, he has had injury setbacks through his career, struggling to get on the park for much of 2019. Questions over his abilities through having Aliir Aliir preferred at one stage are off the mark. The nature of his injuries are surely in need of close scrutiny. His 2018 season in the NEAFL was a stellar one, reportedly averaged in excess of 150 Supercoach points across the season, so has sufficient promise to peak our interest. He would have shared time at Claremont with our own SPS and player rep footy beside Patrick Cripps. At the Swans with both Nic Newman and Tom Papley also so has some links to current and projected players. Alex Johnson also provides a link and a reference, as does List Manager Mick Agresta. One would expect we have done due diligence.

Cameron is certainly in the sweet spot of our ruck needs by age profile, and perhaps all we need is insurance, although it would be difficult to perceive that we would recruit him if we didn't believe he could cut it at the top level.
There was a couple of years where a lot of SuperCoach players were keeping a close eye on Cameron in case he would get the nod over Naismith or Nankervis, thinking he could be a good bench option to make a heap of coin/be good backup for your starting rucks in Gawn/Grundy/Goldstein/Martin/etc.

Cowboyblues

All Australian
Oct 23, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Happy to be shouted down on this one but:
How on earth do we fit
Papley Charlie Mcgovern
Martin Harry Cunners ( SOJ, Eddie, Butler, Gibbons, Levi) into our fwd half at once??

Given our conundrum with the Ruck structure moving Fwd and hoping TDK comes on, would we be better to see more Ruckwork done by Harry.
Around the ground he would be immense with his marking and field kicking being exceptional. His speed and agility is also a strength.
Can rest forward comfortably and yet take that “key” forward pressure off him.
If he and TDK “peak” simultaneously would make for a brilliant rucking and resting setup.

Just a thought.

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
How on earth do we fit
Papley Charlie Mcgovern
Martin Harry Cunners ( SOJ, Eddie, Butler, Gibbons, Levi) into our fwd half at once??

Given our conundrum with the Ruck structure moving Fwd and hoping TDK comes on, would we be better to see more Ruckwork done by Harry.
Around the ground he would be immense with his marking and field kicking being exceptional. His speed and agility is also a strength.
If he and TDK “peak” simultaneously would make for a brilliant rucking and resting setup.

Just a thought.
We'll fit them in by not ending up with all three of Papley, Martin and Betts I imagine

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
How on earth do we fit
Papley Charlie Mcgovern

Just a thought.

Pretty easy, Casbouot doesn’t play, imo he will be squeezed out with Charlie and Marchy returning, Martin I doubt will play forward, I expect him on the wing.
Gibbons most likely will play from the bench and I doubt Eddie is there if we get Papley and Butler.

We won’t get all of the guys suggested.

I would say 4 is the perfect number, but most need to be dual position, hence why I am not interested in Jacobs

TDK, McKay, Cameron, MK

Levi as a backup down the spine

Delist Phillips

Then find a replacement for Levi/MK in the next year or 2

I mean first call ruck-men.
Kreuzer, Lobbe, Phillips are/were ruckmen and ruckmen only. TDK is our developing ruckman as has been confirmed by Liddle. (?)
Mckay doesn't count here as he's our developing KPF.

We don't need three ruckmen running around with the Northern Blues and banking on injuries isn't a great start point for List Management.

Kreuzer, ruckman x and TDK is enough and allows proper development of TDK allowing him proper game minutes playing ruck.
Don't need another two ruck-men occupying ruck duties whilst throwing TDK here, there and everywhere.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I mean first call ruck-men.
Kreuzer, Lobbe, Phillips are/were ruckmen and ruckmen only. TDK is our developing ruckman as has been confirmed by Liddle. (?)
Mckay doesn't count here as he's our developing KPF.

We don't need three ruckmen running around with the Northern Blues and banking on injuries isn't a great start point for List Management.

Kreuzer, ruckman x and TDK is enough and allows proper development of TDK allowing him proper game minutes playing ruck.
Don't need another two ruck-men occupying ruck duties whilst throwing TDK here, there and everywhere.

As I have always said you need dual position ruckmen, or else they become a liability in the modern game

The vision medium to long term needs to be 4 ruckmen/forwards

That vision needs to be acted on and the transition needs to start now

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I like the look of our 2022 Premiership Lineup, Arr0w

B Plowman - Jones - Marchbank
HB Docherty - Weitering - Newman
C O'Brien - Dow - Walsh
HF Cuningham - C. Curnow - Martin
FF Papley - McKay - McGovern
R De Koning, Cripps, S. Petrevski-Seton
I/C Fisher, J. Silvagni, Setterfield, Stocker

Good chance that we'll have another 1-2 big name players who join the team and a few other surprises that develop into our best in this time (looking at Kennedy, BSOS, Williamson).

But in this lot, I count only 1 guy over 30 (Jones). All of these guys would have well over 50 games by 2022 (bar maybe Stocker) so we'd be wanting to challenge for the flag in the 2022-2026 bracket.

Exciting to see that we could/do already have the vast majority of #17 on our list. Just a matter of putting it together and playing consistent game time together.

Last edited:

Crippa#9

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Ok, ok i know it's early to start trade hypotheticals but what the hell....

Right now we have;
#8, #39, #44, #67 & #80 plus all our future 2020 picks.

>Trade #8 & #44 to Sydney > Gain Tom Papley & #40

>Trade #39, #40 & #67 to Adelaide. > Gain Eddie Betts (taking on a portion of his salary) & #26

>Trade our future 2nd Round pick & Levi Casboult to Gold Coast. > Gain Jack Martin & Gold Coast future 3rd rd pick

Trade our future 4th & 5th Round pick to Sydney for Darcy Cameron & #58

In:
Tom Papley
Jack Martin
Eddie Betts
Darcy Cameron
2019 picks: #26, #58 & #80 (minimum 3 picks required on draft night).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
What I want to see from the CFC is that once a player comes to us, they become the better player.
Hard to say whether we now have the right formula in place with Teague & Russell, but it's what we need to show for future players wanting to come to us.
No team can get this right 100% of the time, but we have to become more of a Hawthorn in this department than a Melbourne.

Re. Cameron:
What is it exactly do we see in a 24/5 year old that has a history of having played 1 AFL game?
Even when he had the door open to him this year, Sydney opted for non-ruckman in front of him. What do we see?
Again with the ruckmen. This Fetish is becoming serious.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

C O'Brien - Dow - Martin
HF Cuningham - C. Curnow - Gibbons

Good chance that we'll have another 1-2 big name players who join the team and a few other surprises that develop into our best in this time (looking at Kennedy, BSOS, Williamson).

But in this lot, I count only 1 guy over 30 (Jones). All of these guys would have well over 50 games by 2022 (bar maybe Stocker) so we'd be wanting to challenge for the flag in the 2022-2026 bracket.

Exciting to see that we could/do already have the vast majority of #17 on our list. Just a matter of putting it together and playing consistent game time together.

Love it Matty

As you say, confident we bring in a few best 22 over the next couple of years. Still believe Macreadie will replace Jones in time and I think BSOS will surprise a few in the next 18 months

RoyalParade

Cancelled
Feb 19, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Gonna be some serious competition if we get Martin & Papley

B: Docherty Jones Plowman
HB: Newman Weitering Marchbank
C: Setterfield Cripps SPS
HF: Martin Curnow Murphy
F: Papley McKay McGovern
R: Kruezer Walsh E.Curnow

IC: JSOS, Simpson, Dow, Fisher, Cuningham

Unlucky: Kennedy, Stocker, O’Brien, Casboult
You forgot Eddie....

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Even if Sauce doesn't come back, I get the feeling Phillips is leaving the club, doesn't seem to fit into long term plans for the club, and I think the lad knows it.

Also it beats me why a few posters around seem to be questioning Gibbons position on the list, he just got better and better as the year went on, and is a real workhorse. It's nigh on impossible to put out a team of 22 bona fide stars, and Gibbo fills an important role for us

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

C O'Brien - Dow - Martin

Nice team - where's Viney?! :)

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
W
Even if Sauce doesn't come back, I get the feeling Phillips is leaving the club, doesn't seem to fit into long term plans for the club, and I think the lad knows it.

Also it beats me why a few posters around seem to be questioning Gibbons position on the list, he just got better and better as the year went on, and is a real workhorse. It's nigh on impossible to put out a team of 22 bona fide stars, and Gibbo fills an important role for us
Why then have we offered Phillips a 1 year contract?

Gonna be some serious competition if we get Martin & Papley

B: Docherty Jones Plowman
HB: Newman Weitering Marchbank
C: Setterfield Cripps SPS
HF: Martin Curnow Murphy
F: Papley McKay McGovern
R: Kruezer Walsh E.Curnow

IC: JSOS, Simpson, Dow, Fisher, Cuningham

Unlucky: Kennedy, Stocker, O’Brien, Casboult
stocker plays because adelaide.............

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

C O'Brien - Dow - Martin

Looking forward to your best 22 consensus thread this year.

Going to be seriously hard to pick!

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Looking forward to your best 22 consensus thread this year.

Going to be seriously hard to pick!
Will have the fantastic CJMB leading the project this time around, but I'm looking forward to seeing how we go.

s**t... also just realised I somehow left our Rising Star winner out of the side.

Sakc me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back