Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy to be shouted down on this one but:
How on earth do we fit
Papley Charlie Mcgovern
Martin Harry Cunners ( SOJ, Eddie, Butler, Gibbons, Levi) into our fwd half at once??

Given our conundrum with the Ruck structure moving Fwd and hoping TDK comes on, would we be better to see more Ruckwork done by Harry.
Around the ground he would be immense with his marking and field kicking being exceptional. His speed and agility is also a strength.
Can rest forward comfortably and yet take that “key” forward pressure off him.
If he and TDK “peak” simultaneously would make for a brilliant rucking and resting setup.

Just a thought.

You don't need all those players. Just the best and most suitable ones.
I'm liking the idea of a starting forward line that looks something like this:

Cuningham CCurnow Martin
Papley McKay McGovern

The talls are quick, can cover the ground well, are capable of taking contested marks and at best, are reliable shots on goal. (yes, Mckay needs to fix things)

You then have three smalls that can create and are capable of kicking goals themselves. I use the term create, because even though none are the best of the best, they don't have to be as long as they're smart enough to a. keep the ball in our forward half. b. be a genuine 1 on 1 threat c. and can find targets inside 50. I think it makes for a good blend and can make the talls even better than they are and will become.

Let's say we do get both Martin & Papley -
First thing is that there are two spots wide open for them, allowing us to be immediately better than for what we had this year.

If that's all we are to attain, that's perfectly fine and especially so when we don't release next years first.
I would though be happy to risk swapping firsts with Sydney next year, if that secures the Papley/Martin duo....Just don't lose a first as it will be important.
These two 'gets' alone put a couple of pieces into the puzzle, which may be getting close to a completion (Never complete, but you know...)
Next years first is again reserved for what may be seen to be the most immediate and important need. Without it, we could have an issue.

Our back-line is fine and covered other than for one quick and neat running defender. It's OK to wait one more year if we find it still to be missing.

Our midfield is a senior player short but that may well still work out for 2021 should we attain growth through the young mids we have - Dow, SPS, Fisher, Walsh, Stocker, Setterfield, Kennedy etc.

Forward line looks fine with Papley & Martin, but a ruck-man will be required no later than next years trade period.

Of course things can go belly-up at any time but they really shouldn't. There's too much good in there for the 'shoots' not to flourish.:)

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins

For a bit of vision

OK, I understand it's a highlights package, and I get the slows on him... inconsistent, hasn't kicked on, etc. But gee, there are approximately 0 players on our list right now that could do half of the things he did in that video.

BrisbaneCFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Martin is a talented player who unquestionably improves the list.

But we need to understand that he doesn’t solve the small forward problem. He’s a half forward/mid who has some forward craft.

Butler is still a must and this trade shouldn’t compromise our ability to get papely if he’s gettable

Eddie over Butler all day long. Its not even a debate I would suggest.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Never like when a player gets injured, but another blessing in disguise that we missed out on this guy.

He hasn't really fired a shot at Port, Port fans pretty over him on their board.

My Hat

All Australian
Aug 18, 2018
My head
AFL Club
Carlton
Gonna be some serious competition if we get Martin & Papley

B: Docherty Jones Plowman
HB: Newman Weitering Marchbank
C: Setterfield Cripps SPS
HF: Martin Curnow Murphy
F: Papley McKay McGovern
R: Kruezer Walsh E.Curnow

IC: JSOS, Simpson, Dow, Fisher, Cuningham

Unlucky: Kennedy, Stocker, O’Brien, Casboult

Absolutely. It's not about our best 22 any more, it's about our best 30 -- having 6-8 players on that 'unlucky' line who can come in and perform at close enough to the same level as the players they're replacing. Exciting times.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Absolutely. It's not about our best 22 any more, it's about our best 30 -- having 6-8 players on that 'unlucky' line who can come in and perform at close enough to the same level as the players they're replacing. Exciting times.
Feels like we’ve gone from it being a challenge for who to bring in for the last couple of bench spots in the best 22 to struggling to decide who who the unlucky ones are that miss out as being named as an emergency...

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Eddie over Butler all day long. Its not even a debate I would suggest.
It depends. If we get papely then butler is a better complimentary piece IMO. Butlers forward pressure will be much better than Eddie and butler still has the scope to improve.

If we miss out on papely then yes I agree we’re much better off with betts as goal kicking will be priority over pressure.

Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
OK, I understand it's a highlights package, and I get the slows on him... inconsistent, hasn't kicked on, etc. But gee, there are approximately 0 players on our list right now that could do half of the things he did in that video.

100% agree. You’d have to think he’d be super motivated to play at a new club alongside some good mates, in a competitive side under a coach that encourages you to use your strengths and play attacking footy.

He’s got some some attributes that this side is in desperate need of. Very excited by his acquisition.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

big_sav

All Australian
Apr 4, 2004
Mount Eliza
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton, Chelsea
I feel like we will get martin for unders but will have to pay overs for papley. I also think we will need to lose a player as i dont think we have enough draft value to get them both and stay in next years first round to get the two of them. If we get either betts, butler or someone like that itll be for donuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
i would love to see us keep a presence in the 1st round this year, even if we land both Paps and Martin.
Even if we trade our 2020 1st for a 19 1st, ill be happy. According to draft watchers, next years crop isn't much chop.

I would hope we push hard for a FA next year and hopefully we have season that free agents take note. We still require youth as we have a few retirements looming

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Any possibility that Papley could be a starting midfielder vs the main small forward, especially if we obtain others to fill the small forward position (Eddie, Butler)...?
He is a heavy duty clearance player when in there.

Any possibility that Papley could be a starting midfielder vs the main small forward, especially if we obtain others to fill the small forward position (Eddie, Butler)...?
He is a heavy duty clearance player when in there.

He can rotate through to great effect, but is at his most dangerous forward of centre and that is where I expect to see him play most of his footy in 2020, be it at Carlton or elsewhere.

On the fence with Betts.
Can find an argument for him and can just as easily find an argument against him.

What happens, happens but the supporters best not to expect too much from Eddie, should we acquire him.
I'd be happy with a dozen or so reasonable games and a bit of magic here and there. That would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back