Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is absolutely imperative that we find a genuine small pressure goal kicking forward in the draft. Not a Polson, not a Darcy Lang, not a Michael Gibbons. A small forward.

The Martin trade was a balls up, you pay for quality. We now open up the chance of another team taking him.

Having no alternative plans in place when we all knew that the Daniher trade wasn't looking good is an indictment on SOS. Pure and simple

Last edited by a moderator:

It is absolutely imperative that we find a genuine small pressure goal kicking forward in the draft. Not a Polson, not a Darcy Lang, not a Michael Gibbons. A small forward.

The Martin trade was a balls up, you pay for quality. We now open up the chance of another team taking him.

Having no alternative plans in place when we all knew that the Daniher trade wasn't looking good is an indictment on SOS. Pure and simple

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep

Yep, we need another underdeveloped kid on our list like the Kurds need the Turks.

The alternative is being St Kilda. Considered A+ for picking up 4 B-C graders at best and absolutely selling the farm for one player who is making $900k now to finish a solid 6-10.

I know what list I'd rather.

Sydney were never going to let Papley go if they weren't guaranteed of getting JD so I wouldn't be beating yourselves up on that one. I think you needed to get the Martin deal done though. Most likely he stays now for 12 months and then explores free agency next year, can't see him nominating for either draft. You'd be a chance to get him then but he was linked to Essendon last year and the doggies were also keen, plus the WA clubs will go hard at him also. Good luck for next season.

The alternative is being St Kilda. Considered A+ for picking up 4 B-C graders at best and absolutely selling the farm for one player who is making $900k now to finish a solid 6-10.

Don't think we're in the position to criticise them. They identified needs, found the players, and most importantly they got the deals done. Sure they overpaid for Hill, but that's the game. Eagles overpaid for Kelly, the pies with Treloar, the Dons with Shiel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will get Papley next year for less.

Martin might be better at Carlton than he’s been at GC, so it’d be great if we can get him in the PSD, but on the evidence to date not paying overs for him in the trade period is the right call.

Using pick 9 effectively (swapping out for 2 lower picks) to pick up two small forward prospects via the draft is a good plan B, especially when we have Eddie coming - mentoring young small forwards is his long term role at CFC imo.

Peace to all.
for all we know papely dumps his gf next year and stays in sydney forever. can't bank on anything happening next year.

The silver lining though is that small forwards usually have an impact very quickly so it's not beyond realms of possibility that we draft the best small forward available this year with 9 and that guy forms a good partnership playing second fiddle to eddie.

Cue for SOS to use 9 on a key defender.

Ok. Things didn’t go to plan last night so we buckle up and go again. We will add players, particularly small forwards, through other means.

PSD - Martin
DFA - ? (Bennell - Eddie influence)
Pick 9 - would get best small forward available (or split the pick if we think we can get the player cheaper)
The National draft & rookie draft (small forwards from VFL/WAFL/SANFL etc).

We move on..

Ok. Things didn’t go to plan last night so we buckle up and go again. We will add players, particularly small forwards, through other means.

PSD - Martin
DFA - ? (Bennell - Eddie influence)
Pick 9 - would get best small forward available (or split the pick if we think we can get the player cheaper)
The National draft & rookie draft (small forwards from VFL/WAFL/SANFL etc).

We move on..

Yeah things didn't go as planned but I am extremely confident we will get Martin for nothing in the PSD (after not getting Coniglio or Papley we have salary cap to burn) and we will get a pretty handy player at 9 (or we could still turn 9 into 14 & 17 from the Cats).

I will say the list of ITK posters that I take to the bank got a little smaller this trade period, only Barrass70 enhanced his reputation.

Who teague had to basically get on his knees and beg for.

It's a position that SOS simply doesn't wan't to expend resources on improving. You only need to look at the top 8 this year (apart from the giants who SOS built) to see how important small forwards are.
I’d suggest we need a forward line that’s capable of kicking a lot more goals. Lots of room for improvement with the players on the list.

Don't think we're in the position to criticise them. They identified needs, found the players, and most importantly they got the deals done. Sure they overpaid for Hill, but that's the game. Eagles overpaid for Kelly, the pies with Treloar, the Dons with Shiel.

They literally took anyone who would go there.....

I think gold coast are hoping that Martin doesn't want to risk going through the PSD and waiting for a while to find out his club so he just re signs

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

So your saying he would rather sign with the GC (the club he doesn't want to play for) than risk going to either GC (why sign if they will pick him up on a massive wage in the PSD), Melb (wants to come to Victoria and its not the GC, tick) or Carlton (the club he nominated, tick)? makes sense

Thread banned on the bluemour thread for having a negative opinion, so I'll follow up here.

Is martin a small fwd? well there you go, didn't realise he was (or are all aborigine players small fwds?)

We have the National draft and rookie drafts to get as many small fwds as the nuffies want - or do small fwds have to be 22yr+and not 18?

What pick was eddie betts when we drafted him?

Matty Owies would be doing cartwheels this morning.......

Had some great VFL form considering it was his first year or footy

Wouldn’t hurt to learn off the greatest small forward of the modern area either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But apparently eddie is only here to help Martin and Papley - Owies and any other player cant talk to eddie

I can cop that Papley and Martin deals weren’t completed. What I can’t accept is that we haven’t had a small forward for 2 years and we had no plan B. Betts is a nice addition but will his body push through another season? Butler walks to the Saints for nothing and here we are having played Gibbons, Lang, De Luca and Silvagni as small forwards.

This was our number one priority so now it will have to be a state league small forward or a first round pick that we can hope make an impact around the goals.
Betts is a nice addition but Butler was the big prize? Never has a player's stocks risen as fast as Dan Butler post trade period.

Last edited:

There is a similar story every year...media and supporters rate activity over astute acquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back