Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

With regards to the dow commentary further up... I really rate dow but would like him to play VFL for a large portion of this coming season.. he looks like he could be a Dangerfield type player in the middle.. I don't think he's got the forward craft that danger has.

Playing in the VFL will let him hit packs and burst away from them and kick the ball in match situations more often. I think it's no surprise he regressed when he lost his midfield spot and was put into a pocket.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

going back to the VFL doesnt automatically mean you will find form or develop any quicker. Providing he’s doing the basics and the fundamentals required I’d like to see him keep playing seniors and developing his weaponry at AFL level.

Last edited:
Go

going back to the VFL doesnt automatically mean you will find form or develop any quicker. Providing he’s doing the basics and the fundamentals required I’d like to see him keep playing seniors and developing his weaponry at AFL level.

It's about balancing development for those young guys with fielding a competitive side in the seniors. Better for the development of the whole to be winning games of footy against decent opposition than it is to be getting smashed because we're shoehorning kids into second positions for the sake of game time.

Just saw the AFL list demographics over on the Afl.com site and while we are the 14th youngest team in the comp we are the 9th most experienced in terms of games played, this is due in no small part to B Bolton and his courage to get games into the young kids at the expense of his own win/loss record, this as Bolts used to say is going to pay us back big time in the years ahead.

Getting all those games into the young guys has hopefully fast tracked a lot of there development and now with Power on board to again accelerate development we hopefully develop a great program and start to reap the rewards by getting a head start on the other clubs around us on the ladder, this is something that we have severely lacked in past years and past rebuilds.

It’s great to see the club concentrating on developing our coaching and development structures hand in hand with our player rebuild this has definitely been an all encompassing club rebuild in all areas from players to coaches to administration to culture to finance to marketing and this time we are well set up for success from the bottom to the top and barring a disaster we are going to be back to being one of the premier clubs of the competition in more ways the one. Go Blues.

Just saw the AFL list demographics over on the Afl.com site and while we are the 14th youngest team in the comp we are the 9th most experienced in terms of games played, this is due in no small part to B Bolton and his courage to get games into the young kids at the expense of his own win/loss record, this as Bolts used to say is going to pay us back big time in the years ahead.

Getting all those games into the young guys has hopefully fast tracked a lot of there development and now with Power on board to again accelerate development we hopefully develop a great program and start to reap the rewards by getting a head start on the other clubs around us on the ladder, this is something that we have severely lacked in past years and past rebuilds.

It’s great to see the club concentrating on developing our coaching and development structures hand in hand with our player rebuild this has definitely been an all encompassing club rebuild in all areas from players to coaches to administration to culture to finance to marketing and this time we are well set up for success from the bottom to the top and barring a disaster we are going to be back to being one of the premier clubs of the competition in more ways the one. Go Blues.
Just saw that also. Said we have 6 30 and over. Murphy, Kreuzer, simpson, curnow, cassoulet. Who’s the sixth?

Just saw that also. Said we have 6 30 and over. Murphy, Kreuzer, simpson, curnow, cassoulet. Who’s the sixth?
Eddie Better better Betts, but yeah only 3 other clubs with the same number or more in terms of 30+ year olds so if we take a few of them out our average age would drop significantly, our area where our numbers are low is as we all know the group below this one the 26-29 yo but I notice a lot of the other clubs around us only have 2-3 more than us in this area now so it’s not a drastic shortage like it was and shouldn’t be a priority come next yeArs trade period. Overall I think our list balance is looking a lot healthier than it was and should only improve from here through natural progression rather than forced input from the outside.

Last edited:

Simpson skews the games played average

While the loss of Anderson and Fisher are not great I think it could be a good thing in the long run, as we’ve seen in the best AFL 22 posts we will now have a lot of our Carlton listed mids playing a fair amount of VFL next year, players like Dow, Kennedy, LOB, Gibbons, Fish, etc plus the new guys in Philp, Ramsay, Honey will be more likely to get descent time in the midfield without those 2 who where mainstays last year in the middle especially Sam Fisher.

I think some of our young mids I listed earlier now have the size and strength to match it in the middle with most VFL midfields and will benefit greatly by playing there more regularly and by playing together as a tight midfield group, I think Dow especially will benefit enormously by going back and trying to dominate at the next level and it will do wonders for his belief if he can excel back there, so as I said not great losing them but every cloud has a silver lining.

Starting Midfield VFL
Ramsay. Dow. Philp
TDK Kennedy. Stocker

Rotations: Gibbons, Honey, Wilson, Lang,

Eddie Better better Betts, but yeah only 3 other clubs with the same number or more in terms of 30+ year olds so if we take a few of them out our average age would drop significantly, our area where our numbers are low is as we all know the group below this one the 26-29 yo but I notice a lot of the other clubs around us only have 2-3 more than us in this area now so it’s not a drastic shortage like it was and shouldn’t be a priority come next yeArs trade period. Overall I think our list balance is looking a lot healthier than it was and should only improve from here through natural progression rather than forced input from the outside.
Of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just reading through best 22 thread and had an idea.

Don't think I've seen it suggested elsewhere and I don't know why to be honest.

Newman. Could we turn him into the small forward we need. Great kick for goal. Good tackler. Seems crafty enough. Actually moves alot like Papley.

Newman really going to struggle to get a game in the backline going forward with SPS Willow Plowman etc

One of the few blokes who can kick them outside 50 for us.

The more I think about it the more I like it. Would like to see him trailed there.

Betts is only a bandaid fix for a year or so. If Newman can reinvent himself it would be a massive massive win.

While the loss of Anderson and Fisher are not great I think it could be a good thing in the long run, as we’ve seen in the best AFL 22 posts we will now have a lot of our Carlton listed mids playing a fair amount of VFL next year, players like Dow, Kennedy, LOB, Gibbons, Fish, etc plus the new guys in Philp, Ramsay, Honey will be more likely to get descent time in the midfield without those 2 who where mainstays last year in the middle especially Sam Fisher.

I think some of our young mids I listed earlier now have the size and strength to match it in the middle with most VFL midfields and will benefit greatly by playing there more regularly and by playing together as a tight midfield group, I think Dow especially will benefit enormously by going back and trying to dominate at the next level and it will do wonders for his belief if he can excel back there, so as I said not great losing them but every cloud has a silver lining.

Starting Midfield VFL
Ramsay. Dow. Philp
TDK Kennedy. Stocker

Rotations: Gibbons, Honey, Wilson, Lang,

I thought they might go, had a bit of a crack at getting into the AFL and now that looks done and dusted they are off, probably on much better money. It's uncommon for senior players to hang around at VFL level too long when there is little hope of breaking into the AFL and money elsewhere.

Wilson back in will make a difference. Fingers crossed that Alex Johnson gets fit and has a good season as with O'Rourke. Will need some experience around the ball in the VFL as it looks like being a young side.

In terms of future exits:

Retirement chances: Simpson, Murphy, Betts
Trade/FA targets: Casboult, Jones, Fisher, Cuningham, Marchbank
Likely delisted: Kennedy, Lang, Polson, Goddard
Possibly delisted: Cottrell, O'Dwyer, Newman, Gibbons, Owies, Macreadie

Newman. Could we turn him into the small forward we need. Great kick for goal. Good tackler. Seems crafty enough. Actually moves alot like Papley.

Newman really going to struggle to get a game in the backline going forward with SPS Willow Plowman etc

The more I think about it the more I like it. Would like to see him trailed there.

Betts is only a bandaid fix for a year or so. If Newman can reinvent himself it would be a massive massive win.

Might not have that quick closing speed we need. I can see Newman spending some time on a wing this season. But I am sure the same can be said for Docherty and Williamson if he comes up fit enough.

Simpson, Docherty, Newman, Williamson and SPS are all backling players who could mix in with the wingmen quite easily.

No doubt Newman could kick a few goals but whether he offers the pressure from elite closing speed is another question.

Might not have that quick closing speed we need. I can see Newman spending some time on a wing this season. But I am sure the same can be said for Docherty and Williamson if he comes up fit enough.

Simpson, Docherty, Newman, Williamson and SPS are all backling players who could mix in with the wingmen quite easily.

No doubt Newman could kick a few goals but whether he offers the pressure from elite closing speed is another question.

Agree. Think he's at his most dangerous in the forward half when we're intercepting an opposition rebound attempt. You want him ~60m from goal, ready to get the handball receive from Weiters or Marchy so he can drive it long for a goal or to an advantageous contest. Don't think he's one you want at the base of a pack (or at least, not ahead of someone who plays that role naturally).

crikey.......

I must admit to being absolutely amazed that people leave Newman out of their Best 22. Played 20 of 22 games last year, yet still amassed 428 disposals (5th highest of any Carlton player in 2019) and is essentially the only defender we have that can also impact the scoreboard. He's also only one of two defenders on our list capable of kicking the ball beyond the opposition's defensive zone. Arguably the best bargain basement buy the club's made since Heath Scotland.

we just have to get you 2 together for a no-holds barred, caged discussion on newman........

Agree with you that it doesn't automatically make you find form.. but he seems a bit lost in the forward pocket unable to really impact. at VFL level he's an automatic starter in the midfield and can work on midfield craft the whole game instead of trying to work on his game out of position.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

When in the future?Next year,year after,year after that.

When he played wing and half forward for Sydney in either his last or second last season he displayed a good feel for kicking goals particularly by crumbing and getting to the right areas, kicked some good running goals as well.
I think he’s more than capable of playing half forward and worth a look if given the opportunity which doesn’t hurt him having that flexibility, with Doc and Williamson fit and firing virtually locks down back.
He’s coming off he’s best ever season so atm it’s his up to others to take it from him...

Kennedy, as in Bam? Surely not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back