Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

From the outside I see them as being similar to Goddard as in being possibly divisive. Someone like Martin would take more work from coaches and leaders but would be loved by the entire group.
why would martin be anymore loved by all?

Noticed a fair bit of commentary in the past about the pace of our midfield and whether we can play Cripps, Kennedy and Setterfield in the same team.

Absolutely we can.

Teams like Essendon that play smaller, faster midfields are prone to getting smashed in centre clearances and stoppages. Whilst smaller, quicker midfields can look a million bucks when up and running, they're generally inconsistent.

Big bodies hold up in finals because as intensity and pressure lift, games tend to become more congested and require more grunt work.
Wasn't it brilliant absolutely dismantling them through the middle last week. Centre clearances were 21-9, I have a feeling they may get found out a touch through the middle this year at centre stoppages as they don't really have a big inside bull.

This is why I sometimes think leadership is overrated. I’d take a Dusty Martin type personality out our club over both Fyfe and Dangerfield’s.

I find this staggering to be honest.

Dangerfield moved home to Victoria and signed a long term deal on massive unders as to not upset anyone at the club and to give the club considerable space to target players moving forward.

Dusty is a great player but he’s a knob

I just don’t see why so many people are offended by people with an opinion, especially a person who’s job it is, to have one on all aspects of the game.

I find this staggering to be honest.

Dangerfield moved home to Victoria and signed a long term deal on massive unders as to not upset anyone at the club and to give the club considerable space to target players moving forward.

Dusty is a great player but he’s a knob

I just don’t see why so many people are offended by people with an opinion, especially a person who’s job it is, to have one on all aspects of the game.
Why is he a knob?

Personally I don’t mind Dangerfield but there’s no doubt he is a hell of a lot less popular than the average player. He can come across very self-righteous.

Last edited:
The obvious one to trial in the HBF role is Stocker. Excellent disposal both sides of his body and while not a noted runner, has good burst speed. Looked upon as more an extractor type who currently has supposedly limited endurance (not by the laps I saw him churning out) and/or (innuendo)a lack of two way running ethics.

The competition has a significant number of mids who have found themselves in defence (Mills, McGrath, Perryman, Whitfield, Blakely etc) and our club
has had the likes of Harmes, Ratten and Carrazzo over the years, even arguably Kouta start their careers there over time. With our proliferation of young midfielders and Murph and Ed commanding spots for a couple more years at least, young Stocker will not be gifted games, he will have to bang the door down to get in to our engine room. A year or two in defence will almost certainly fast track his senior career while MM and Ed play out their time.....
You heard it here first:D

Don't think that source is right, ive been looking at top ten 20m sprints from the AFL and Topendsports and they dont have Stocker in it.

I dont believe stocker has that explosive speed like Danger, fyfe, dusty. Hopefully he isnt slow.

I can't verify the source either, but keep in mind that Stocker didn't test at the AFL combine due to injury so he won't feature in the recordings of AFL and Top End Sports.

A separate testing session was conducted prior to the draft. I believe Caldwell was part of this too.

Also note that Knightmare documented acceleration over the first 10m and agility as his strengths in his player profile.

It's your reading of the situation, not the facts. If Sheil, Setterfield, Newman all nominated us for instance, I'm sure we'd have got it done. Likely at the expense though of some of what we gained. I also don't buy into us having made Essendon 'overpay', clubs almost anyways pay market value. Supposedly we made them 'overpay' for Smith and Saad also but it made no difference the following year, it never does.

Clubs pay for trades in 2 ways.

Salary - Shiel took less to play for *.

Draft Picks - SOS forced * to pay way overs for Shiel.

Even * supporters I know concede * gave up too much.

So yes - IMHO SOS screwed * big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need running defenders and goal-kickers and height alone doesn't have to determine that, although we're likely seeing the same types and we didn't need Thursday night to show us how speed can work against us, when Essendon got on a roll with the likes of McKenna, McGrath, Saad and co exiting the backline.

Gibbons kicked three and good on him, but I still feel he's a limited player.
Cuningham as good as he has been, isn't the player we'll be relying on to kick 30-40 goals a year, ether....not the from a flank or a wing.

You can't be sure of what the make-up of the team capable of implementing the game-plan being aspired to may look like at years end just yet, but.....

Backline:
xxxxxxxx...Jones/Macreadie.....Marchbank/Plowman
Docherty....Weitering...............Williamson/O'Brien/Garlett/Newman
I hear Soapy that O'Brien isn't being groomed for the back-line, but I can't help seeing it, so I'll back myself in.
Simpson will likely be gone and our coverage is decent, but it's clear what the missing link here may be.

Midfield:
Kreuzer/Phillips.....Cripps..........Dow
Petrevski-Seton....Setterfield.....Walsh
Add in Kennedy, Fisher, Stocker and xxxxxxxx, being that senior mid and we're looking pretty good.

Forward:
Cuningham CCurnow xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
McKay McGovern
This is where some will just drop in mids' names for the x's, but give me genuine goal-kickers every day of the week.

What would be the ideal?
Backline: Doesn't have to be special, but just need something we haven't got. Losing Byrne hasn't helped.
Midfield: Coniglio as a FA. A quality mid that can kick goals
Forward A: Billings. Not everyone would be keen, but I still am and our first this year (ex-Adelaide) could do it
Forward B: I don't know but if a good crumbing forward (see Cameron) could be manufactured, for 2020 1st pick.

It's easy typing it out, but it's not out of the question we could fill all the gaps this year with the currency we have.

Re Gibbons “limited”.

He’ll be a lot less “limited” now that he’s not working full time as a carpet layer and studying a Business degree part time as well.

Plenty of growth to come there.

Re Gibbons “limited”.

He’ll be a lot less “limited” now that he’s not working full time as a carpet layer and studying a Business degree part time as well.

Mature body, quick, big tank, strong evasive skills, good tackler.....not sure what's limited about him.

Re Gibbons “limited”.

Averaged nearly 29 possessions last year for Willi so knows how to get it.....don't be surprised this year if he racks up some big numbers in some games when they move him onto the guts

Rd One

Garlett Jones Plowman
Newman Weitering Simpson
Kruezer Kennedy Curnow
Murphy Cripps O'Brien
Dow Charlie Fisher
McGovern McKay Cuningham
Int: Thomas SPS Walsh Setterfield

Come the real stuff that stronger contested body will be vital

Squad for Collingwood game:

B: K.Simpson 6 L.Plowman 20 J.Weitering 23
HB: N.Newman 24 L.Jones 14 D.Thomas 39
C: S.Petrevski-Seton 5 P.Cripps - C 9 E.Curnow 35
HF: C.Curnow 30 M.McGovern 11 D.Cuningham 28
F: W.Setterfield 43 H.McKay 10 M.Gibbons 40
Foll: M.Lobbe 27 P.Dow 2 Z.Fisher 25
I/C from: M.Murphy 3 A.Phillips 34 J.Garlett 21 S.Walsh 18 J.Silvagni 1 A.Schumacher 19 C.Polson 29 A.Fasolo 32 L.Stocker 13 L.Casboult 41 L.O'Brien 4 P.Kerr 36

In: A.Fasolo
Out: Nil

Notable absentees: Sam Docherty, Matthew Kreuzer, Caleb Marchbank, Darcy Lang, Jarrod Pickett, Tom Williamson

Where's Kennedy, Soap? Didn't even make the notable absentees.

I'm a bit surprised myself. Maybe he's injured.

Squad for Collingwood game:

B: K.Simpson 6 L.Plowman 20 J.Weitering 23
HB: N.Newman 24 L.Jones 14 D.Thomas 39
C: S.Petrevski-Seton 5 P.Cripps - C 9 E.Curnow 35
HF: C.Curnow 30 M.McGovern 11 D.Cuningham 28
F: W.Setterfield 43 H.McKay 10 M.Gibbons 40
Foll: M.Lobbe 27 P.Dow 2 Z.Fisher 25
I/C from: M.Murphy 3 A.Phillips 34 J.Garlett 21 S.Walsh 18 J.Silvagni 1 A.Schumacher 19 C.Polson 29 A.Fasolo 32 L.Stocker 13 L.Casboult 41 L.O'Brien 4 P.Kerr 36

In: A.Fasolo
Out: Nil

Notable absentees: Sam Docherty, Matthew Kreuzer, Caleb Marchbank, Darcy Lang, Jarrod Pickett, Tom Williamson

Where's Kennedy, Soap? Didn't even make the notable absentees.

I'm a bit surprised myself. Maybe he's injured.
The 4 in bold are listed as Emergencies on the AFL site.

Are you sure? I got that squad from afl.com.au and it's still the same. I thought O'Brien would be in the main squad...
Yeah positive if you go to the actual fielded line ups it shows it there, I was shocked myself doesn’t make sense to me thought he would definitely be in the starting line up.

Why is he a knob?

Personally I don’t mind Dangerfield but there’s no doubt he is a hell of a lot less popular than the average player. He can come across very self-righteous.

I can see why people find him to be up himself but i don't see that as being a big deal, lots of great players have a degree or a lot of arrogance about them. I was more disagreeing with your comment that Dangerfields and Fyfes characters to be bad in comparison with Martin. Im not sure who i would pick in terms of skill and ability but if i was picking on character alone, i would be picking Danger.

I don't know Dusty personally, my perception of him being a knob is my opinion on seeing him in interviews on tv, radio, having neck tatts and the company he keeps outside of football. I find him to be arrogant as well but in a different way to Dangerfield.

Kennedy left out of the entire JLT 2 squad, yet most, me included had him locked in as a certain starter for the season. Pretty big indication of where he sits at the moment.

Suggestion is he may have picked up an injury.

Would only read something into it if he plays with the VFL side this weekend if they have a game.

Kennedy left out of the entire JLT 2 squad, yet most, me included had him locked in as a certain starter for the season. Pretty big indication of where he sits at the moment.

Based on that tweet it doesn't seem he's 100%.

Probably more of an indication that we're playing it safe.

Out of the emergencies, I would have liked to see O'brien and Stocker get a run. At least they'll get full game time for Northern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back