Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Paddy Dow proves me wrong......but Tim Kelly would have been a better pick

Haha, you must be trolling. Paddy is 19 for gods sake. Kelly wasn’t even in any conversation at that age and was overlooked in umpteenth amount of drafts.

Maybe you should have some patience and see where Paddy is at when he’s 22-23

Imagine if we did get Kelly in his draft year, a very successful modern day club are struggling incredibly to keep him and were a NTTAWWTteenth away from trading after one year. How do you think we’d go when he’s playing in a losing side?

Sheesh

Disagree, his first round picks have been very successful. If he landed Devon Smith and Shiel I think we would have had at least 3 wins. We are crying for other A grade mature bodies.

Devon Smith's knee has shat itself again, and Shiel has played a couple of good games this season, no more. Given the costs involved, I'm somewhat glad we didn't get them.

Despite the immature pot-shotting that has taken precedence in the rumour thread, I think losing one of our talented youngsters could be a good thing. Let's speculate and say that Charlie elects to take a big contract offer at WB - I think we're well positioned to have a more than capable forward line with McKay, McGovern and Silvagni as the primary targets, as well as Kerr and TDK as back-up options. Charlie's contracted, is a player with massive upside and a significant media profile, and WB offer him somewhere in the vicinity of $850-950k per season. If they really want him, our price would have to be a starting 22 midfielder and a high draft pick, minimum. Doggies are holding Pick 7, and we demand Dunkley as well.

We will lose a player at some point - that's a reality we need to face - we just need to make sure we do so at a time that suits us, and we come out ahead in the deal.

I'd rather keep young Charlie, as I think he has a massive future ahead of him. But if we were going to lose someone valuable, I think he's also the likely candidate. Big value, much of that value based on "potential", and we have depth in his position. Turn him into Pick 7 and Dunkley. Turn 7 and 14 into the elite midfielder we're craving - Whitfield, Coniglio, Taranto. Future pick for Papley or similar.

Docherty, Jones, Newman
Marchbank, Weitering, Williamson
Whitfield, Walsh, SPS
Kreuzer, Cripps, Dunkley
Fisher, McKay, Cuningham
Papley, McGovern, Silvagni
I/C: Dow, Plowman, Setterfield, Stocker

Bolded are the ones with what I'd call "seasoned AFL bodies". Much better spread than what we're fielding at the moment.

You guys could end up with a serious Moneyball type trade if you went for Jong. He's fighting his way back to the seniors right now after recovering from appendix surgery I think, but if he can't squeeze in he may look elsewhere to get game.

Has some serious speed, a great tank, is a good overhead mark and a big body to help out Cripps. His disposal can be shocking (mainly his kicking) but there are many on our list who are far worse. Would cost you guys next to nothing in cap space, and could probably be taken from the Dogs for something like a 3rd round pick swap (essentially nothing). I really like Jongy, but I can also understand if he wanted to explore his options elsewhere, and I think he'd do well at Carlton where there aren't so many similar players competing for the same spot
I was hoping we'd pick Jong up a few years ago - same year as Collingwood made a play or him. Very solid player. Someone also mentioned Dunstan from Saints - big yes to him as well.

Or we add another player with a significant injury history that cannot get on the park consistently, and we continue to lament our 'bad luck' with injuries. No thanks.
Most of Jong's injuries have been from bad luck, generally being impact injuries (broken bones, appendix, etc.). It's soft tissue injuries you need to be careful of

Lin Jong is an absolute ripper!! My favorite Dogs player, and hard as the proverbial cat's head. I'd have him any day if his fitness was up to scratch, but seems injury/accident prone.
Unfortunately we're not trading big H for him ;)
Hey, throw in Adelaide 1st rounder with McKay and maybe I'd be willing to part with Jong ;)

Yeah he's not necessarily too injury prone, more accident prone as you said. Just been so unlucky with random impact injuries over his career that has prevented him solidifying his spot in our 22. I genuinely do think he will eventually find a spot in a 22, just not sure whether it's ours anytime soon due to having too many similar types already established. Would be great as a cheap pickup for anyone wanting to fill a spot with an experienced body

Devon Smith's knee has shat itself again, and Shiel has played a couple of good games this season, no more. Given the costs involved, I'm somewhat glad we didn't get them.

Despite the immature pot-shotting that has taken precedence in the rumour thread, I think losing one of our talented youngsters could be a good thing. Let's speculate and say that Charlie elects to take a big contract offer at WB - I think we're well positioned to have a more than capable forward line with McKay, McGovern and Silvagni as the primary targets, as well as Kerr and TDK as back-up options. Charlie's contracted, is a player with massive upside and a significant media profile, and WB offer him somewhere in the vicinity of $850-950k per season. If they really want him, our price would have to be a starting 22 midfielder and a high draft pick, minimum. Doggies are holding Pick 7, and we demand Dunkley as well.

We will lose a player at some point - that's a reality we need to face - we just need to make sure we do so at a time that suits us, and we come out ahead in the deal.

I'd rather keep young Charlie, as I think he has a massive future ahead of him. But if we were going to lose someone valuable, I think he's also the likely candidate. Big value, much of that value based on "potential", and we have depth in his position. Turn him into Pick 7 and Dunkley. Turn 7 and 14 into the elite midfielder we're craving - Whitfield, Coniglio, Taranto. Future pick for Papley or similar.

Docherty, Jones, Newman
Whitfield, Walsh, SPS
Kreuzer, Cripps, Dunkley
Fisher, McKay, Cuningham

Bolded are the ones with what I'd call "seasoned AFL bodies". Much better spread than what we're fielding at the moment.
arguably we have too many key position players / talls, perhaps part of SOS's longer term plans was to turn a couple of those surplus to needs into future trade currency once they had been developed a little.

Docherty, Jones, Newman
Whitfield, Walsh, SPS
Kreuzer, Cripps, Dunkley
Fisher, McKay, Cuningham

As you said, if the Dogs were to come after one of Curnow/McKay, it would have to involve a proper starting 22 midfielder along with high draft pick. Going off our list, someone along the lines of Dunkley, Wallis, Libba (god forbid) along with our 2020 1st rounder (which is pretty widely believed to be on the trade table this year) would be the likely starting point of a trade. No point you guys demanding just two 1st rounders when you're in far bigger need of an experienced, established midfielder rather than more early picks

Agree we need to be pragmatic, and realistic WRT potentially cashing in on someone like Curnow. We're already too top heavy, and with the ascension of McKay and acquisition of McGovern, Charlie isn't a necessity going forward, just a guy we'd prefer to have.

I think we should also potentially see how capable he is as a defender. He's got the read and athleticism, and is a far better disposer than Marchbank. He'd also be capable linking up out of defence.

That's right, I must have forgotten that every premiership team is stacked full of exclusively first and second round picks.

Nothing to see here
I'm not saying we should have a team stacked of 1st and 2nd round players. I'm trying to say that they're trying to fast track the learning of our young mids and get them to learn how they play together. When you have youth and inexperience your not going to get consistency week in, week out. A lack of effort is not acceptable in any mean, but it has been a lot more enjoyable to watch and go to the footy this year than last year. Improvement takes time, 1 of those players I named has played 50 games, none of the others have. Wait till they build an engine and body size - they're already dominating clearances as it currently sits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way we will trade any of our young talent and I don't think we will for many reasons.

Key one being the message it sends to the young group. You don't want to break this group up. Just need to keep building them and adding around them

Not saying we push someone out, Soap - but it's naive to think that none of these young guys will be tempted by a big money offer from a club that can also offer a chance at playing in a few more wins every year.

I understand you're mail is that the group is tight, and everyone's bought in, but things change and all it takes is a strong offer and maybe someone decides they've had enough. If that happens, better for it to be at a time when we can control the deal and benefit as much as possible.

Charlie, Pick 14 and future pick out.
Whitfield, Dunkley and Papley in.

It would hurt seeing Charlie in another jumper, but if it helps land two high quality midfielders who can rack up the ball, we're so far ahead it's not funny.

As you said, if the Dogs were to come after one of Curnow/McKay, it would have to involve a proper starting 22 midfielder along with high draft pick. Going off our list, someone along the lines of Dunkley, Wallis, Libba (god forbid) along with our 2020 1st rounder (which is pretty widely believed to be on the trade table this year) would be the likely starting point of a trade. No point you guys demanding just two 1st rounders when you're in far bigger need of an experienced, established midfielder rather than more early picks

No no no - you can't convince us to take Libba instead. Not the kind of character we want. :p

But yes, I think that would be the framework of a potential trade. Not your future first though, I don't think we'll take that risk. Current first, something we can use immediately to strengthen our list further, plus a competent ball winner with plenty of miles left in the tank.

Not saying we push someone out, Soap - but it's naive to think that none of these young guys will be tempted by a big money offer from a club that can also offer a chance at playing in a few more wins every year.

I understand you're mail is that the group is tight, and everyone's bought in, but things change and all it takes is a strong offer and maybe someone decides they've had enough. If that happens, better for it to be at a time when we can control the deal and benefit as much as possible.

It would hurt seeing Charlie in another jumper, but if it helps land two high quality midfielders who can rack up the ball, we're so far ahead it's not funny.

I just can't see it and our midfield has the talent. We can still get someone using picks. We don't need to trade our young talent

I just can't see it and our midfield has the talent. We can still get someone using picks. We don't need to trade our young talent

Still missing the point - I'm not saying we need to, I'm saying that there is a high probability that, with the number of "talented" young players we've brought in, that someone makes a "too good to refuse" offer to one of them and we need to make the best of the situation.

Again, if you don't think any of our high draft picks would be tempted by a big money offer from a "more successful" club, then I think you're being unrealistic.

Still missing the point - I'm not saying we need to, I'm saying that there is a high probability that, with the number of "talented" young players we've brought in, that someone makes a "too good to refuse" offer to one of them and we need to make the best of the situation.

Again, if you don't think any of our high draft picks would be tempted by a big money offer from a "more successful" club, then I think you're being unrealistic.

I get it. I just don't agree

Or you can ignore what is appearing the most sensible answer, this list, and the players on it, and the way its been put together are nowhere near as good as you keep telling us they are.

Totally disagree with your premise especially it being the most sensible answer

Too many people act like it’s finished or we haven’t improved it so far. Long way to go but overall SOS has done a very good job IMO

Have to agree with you, as distasteful as it will be to let Charlie go, acquiring two midfielders of high calibre is robust, dynamic planning, and may just have to happen, or we risk losing Patrick Cripps, our most outstanding player.

As for tall forwards, we are lucky to have a surplus in a sense, Harry, Charlie , Gov and TDK whom has potential.

Totally disagree with your premise especially it being the most sensible answer

Too many people act like it’s finished or we haven’t improved it so far. Long way to go but overall SOS has done a very good job IMO

Meh!. I think his performance as List Manager is very much over rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back