Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The point therefore is how long is a club prepared to wait for a player do actually do what they can do?

Every player is different and need to be judged that way. Never easy

Most players I find truly hard to judge until they have at least 30 games under them otherwise I look for signs that they have what it takes to make it. I always try and look at it from their point of view.

The hardest thing for us on the outside is to know how they are handling it emotionally and personally. Even then it’s a judgement call

Last edited:

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton

Most players I find truly hard to judge until they have at least 30 games under them otherwise I look for signs that they what it takes to make it. I always try and look at it from their point of view.

The hardest thing for us on the outside is to know how they are handling it emotionally and personally. Even then it’s a judgement call
Totally agree

Actually, I think it IS the point Soapy.

You can't always rate players on what they CAN do. At some stage, you need to rate players on what they ACTUALLY do.

Yes LeBois has x-factor, skills, pressure and speed. And he's still young. But if he can't turn all that into more than say 6 touches, a couple of tackles and a goal a game then he won't make it.

If talent without fitness, consistency and production was enough.... Troy Menzel would still be playing in the AFL...

He turns 21 this year …… not exactly young for this game. Some at 21 have played 50 games ……

Like the Tenterfield saddler …… needs to show something this year ….. IF he gets fit … IF he can string games together …...

Longetivity in this game is fraught with almosts ..... needs to endure …. if the body aint up to it … the body will NEVER be up to it.

Edit: If the mind knows the body is weak …. they will flinch. They will shirk. They will never be …….

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
He turns 21 this year …… not exactly young for this game. Some at 21 have played 50 games ……

And some highly serviceable players at 21 have played * all.

Brett Ratten had played 20 games at that age, and all of them s**t.

At 25 he was still a ball butcher with an uncanny ability to kick pinpoint passes down opposition players' throats.

Turned out alright in the end though.

And some highly serviceable players at 21 have played **** all.

At 25 he was still a ball butcher with an uncanny ability to kick pinpoint passes down opposition players' throats.

These days …. At 25 …. (Nick Graeme) you just won't get that opportunity I'm afraid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Wasn’t the point I was making. I agree he needs to do a lot more

I'm with you Soapy. LeBois has genuine talent but he does at some point need to stay on the park and stay involved in the game for longer periods.

Huge opportunity this year. I'll be attending lots more VFL games this year so I'll post my reports on BigFooty. Hopefully don't start with another 100 point loss!

Amazing what you see at open training.

frogshit.jpg

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Most players I find truly hard to judge until they have at least 30 games under them otherwise I look for signs that they have what it takes to make it. I always try and look at it from their point of view.

What if they aren't showing enough to get a game at all?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
And some highly serviceable players at 21 have played **** all.

I think that comparison is a bit of a stretch.

Ratten was a midfielder who could always find his own ball. He had a long apprenticeship because our team was so strong and he was competing against similar type players like diesel.

Lebois on the other hand is at the club when we are on the bottom of the ladder and are looking desperately for players that play his position. He has has shown very little in his two years in the VFL to warrant promotion even when we were crying out for players of his type. He averages under 8 touches a game and less than 0.5 goals a game at VFL level, and if you watched his games (which I've seen a few), does not apply much forward pressure.

He is obviously rated highly internally, because they kept him on the list for a third year, but I won't be holding my breath.

In saying that, I'm hoping like the rest of you that he gets a good run at it and earns a spot in our team, because there is a spot there....

BJuddy

All Australian
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
agree but some also haven't been drafted by then, ie Tim Kelly, etc. Every player is different.

I don't know a lot about him, but if the club is gonna back him in through a tear down and rebuild there has to be something there.

Hang Thy .... I understand his upside ... but has he actually shown anything at AFL level yet?? Not saying he can't but his body has really let him down so far, so is it unrealistic to put a question mark over his longetivity in the AFL?????

he basically doesn't need to show any more than a first year player for mine - that's pretty much what he is - I bet he shows more but need? what are we gonna do, delist him if he has an average season, tinny? if he gets through the year unscathed that will be a big bonus - he's a very good chance to be a ripper for us

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
he basically doesn't need to show any more than a first year player for mine - that's pretty much what he is - I bet he shows more but need? what are we gonna do, delist him if he has an average season, tinny? if he gets through the year unscathed that will be a big bonus - he's a very good chance to be a ripper for us
At this stage they'll just want to get his body right, get some continuity of training and games (at either level) then in the back half of the year have him show something, be it a 'breakout game', some VFL form replicating those NEAFL numbers he had a couple of years back or even slow-and-steady improvement kind of like Lochie last year.

Anything more is a bonus really, next year ideally with an uninterrupted preseason we'll get a glimpse of his capabilities. Might be worth some of us tapering our expectations for Will's 2019 output and keep an eye on 2020 when he ideally get's a clean run through the preseason (ie like how Kennedy's shaping up in the lead up to his 2nd season with us).

It's not like he would have changed clubs for a 1 year contract anyway. He'll be a blue for a minimum 2 years, hopefully the final number ends up around 10 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back