Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given we probably won't see a fit Pickett this year, are there any likely small forwards lurking in the lower leagues? Someone like Puopolo, or even (god help us) a Betts or Jeffy - after all, they'd been passed over before we got them.

It's our most glaring deficiency.

resolute_blue

Team Captain
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
True Thy. But props to you - for an extinct K9 thing you have an impressive posting frequency I must say. May get there by mid year...esp. if blues get off to a flyer...

Last edited:

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Phillips is a key to our list management with regard to our ruck division.

Clearly De Koning is the successor to the no.1 role, but while he may be able to play sooner due to his forward prowess, it is hard to see him assuming
the mantle full-time for 2-3 years.

Lobbe turns 30 before the season and our warhorse and first choice Kreuzer turns 30 during the season. Both have had their issue with injury and
could have remaining careers between 1 and 3 years realistically. We will be most likely parting ways with long term 2nd ruck/forward Casboult at
the end of the season, and it would seem unlikely that all of Kreuze, Lobbe and Sauce will remain beyond 2019, providing TDK continues a natural
progression with his development.

If Sauce Phillips has another compromised year with soft tissue injury, he would surely be gone, however if he can finally "come solid" with the
assistance of Russell, and display some durability, he provides that crucial couple of years grace of having an AFL quality ruckman to fill a
possible void.

Most, if not all of the "gettable" mature rucks have found new homes in the last 2 years. There is a bit of young talent coming through some lists,
but to poach/recruit them would still leave us with a monumental age imbalance should we need to part with Phillips. Personally, I would be happy
use a latish first round pick(likely Adelaide's) on the likes of Luke Jackson who is the standout junior ruck of this years crop. Quality ruckmen are
more difficult to trade in than many believe, so surely it makes sense to develop our own.

I understand that many are against using high picks on rucks, but I feel our list balance is "there" barring ruck, "breakaway" half back and small/medium forward "dynamo". Sure we have to wait for the "kids" to mature, but our best 22 midfield projects as a "No Vacancy" in my opinion, unless we can coax
an absolute top liner (Coniglio). We can relatively easily add depth without high expectation, read Gibbons, Sam Fisher types to balance our second tier
depth insurance and to provide a competitive Northern Blues development ground.

Good post.

Only question for me is TDK really in line to be a No.1 Ruck? Can easily be a key forward as well.

The way he is developing he could be more McKay than Kruezer.

Be watching with interest

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Good post.

Only question for me is TDK really in line to be a No.1 Ruck? Can easily be a key forward as well.

The way he is developing he could be more McKay than Kruezer.

Be watching with interest

My very gut impression is that the current intention is to have TDK do 80% ruck and 20% forward and McKay do 80% forward and 20% ruck. I was actually thinking about TDK's selection at the draft and comparing it to Stocker's. Noone rated TDK in the 20s either but SOS clearly had his own directive and selected best available for needs instead of simply best available at the pick. Jury is still out on TDK but I havent seen any red flags.

Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
My very gut impression is that the current intention is to have TDK do 80% ruck and 20% forward and McKay do 80% forward and 20% ruck. I was actually thinking about TDK's selection at the draft and comparing it to Stocker's. Noone rated TDK in the 20s either but SOS clearly had his own directive and selected best available for needs instead of simply best available at the pick. Jury is still out on TDK but I havent seen any red flags.

Spot on. TDK seems to have a real appetite for the contest and likes getting his hands/knees dirty crashing into packs, so I see him thriving in an on ball role.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Spot on. TDK seems to have a real appetite for the contest and likes getting his hands/knees dirty crashing into packs, so I see him thriving in an on ball role.

Just wanted to say ******* ripper username. Ang was a deadset ledge. Dont nearly get enough love round here :thumbsu:

Anthony went alright too I spoze ;)

Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Just wanted to say ******* ripper username. Ang was a deadset ledge. Dont nearly get enough love round here :thumbsu:

Anthony went alright too I spoze ;)

Cheers mate. Some of my favourite memories from Princes Park were the crowd calling “Woof!” as Ang roosted a perfectly placed 55-60m bomb to the advantage of Kouta, who rose above the pack and pouched the ball in his massive mitts, as the crowd again roared in delight.

What I liked about it was that Ang knew what Kouta was capable of and he didn’t need Kouta to be on his own for him to kick it to him. Ang just put it to his advantage and it brought the best out of him.

I’d love to see our players with the ball in hand have the same belief and ability to service Charlie, Mitch, Harry and Crippa throughout this season.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm also in the TDK/Harry ruck/forward camp. Perfect future combo. We have done the investing in big blokes in the draft beautifully. I must admit i didn't see the TDK selection coming but the timing really was perfect.

We have two 20 yo 200+ cm athletic Ruck forwards that are shaping up beautifully. I was pleased to see the pics of TDK from training recently. He is plenty tall and broad enough to be a future AFL ruckman. Now just to fatten him up a bit more. I would be happy to see him learn his trade all 2019 in the reserves.

Kruze and if unavailable then Lobbe or Philipps to stand up for us for 40 games then the TDK/McKay combo can strut their stuff for a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back