Not open for further replies.
These are the listings from the CFC site:

Kruezer - 200cm
McKay - 200
DeKoning - 201
Phillips - 203
Lobbe - 200
Casboult - 201

From your recent obs do those look accurate? If we take Kruze at face value at 200 because he has been that for a longtime, then my gut feel is:

McKay 203
Phillips 202 - with 27yo chicken legs lol
DeKoning - you tell me. From my looking at shots this preseason he looks 202-3
Lobbe - 200 tops
Casboult - 200 tops

I think TDK is a genuine ruck prospect. Not an old school type ruck prospect but a modern type tandem prospect. Lucky for us that we have a tandem prospect to use with him. Him and McKay compliment each other so well going forward. You've used the better word about TDK with "mobile" probably rather than athletic. Harry the more athletic one. I don't think Cripps, Kanga, Setters, Dow, Walsh and Samo will need to be spoon fed in the near future. I reckon a mobile competitive ruck will suit us great. I think we've got the combo's and combatability right with our Ruck/KPF's in TDK, Harry, Charlie and Gov.

Granted, there is a lot of projection with most things Carlton but this natural pessimist/realist is bullish on the bulk of the young playing group.
You're talking around 1% difference in height TW, so it's not significant enough to worry about. Chicken legs or not, Phillips can jump around a full foot higher than anyone else and that is significant. TDK can't do that, so if you're going to go the shorter option then you need someone who can jump. I'd leave him in the ruck at either AFL or VFL level to continue to build his tank as much as anything, but I'm yet to be convinced he's more of a ruck/forward than a forward/ruck.

Whenever they gave McKay a 5 minute run in the ruck last year he'd have to come off for a 7 minute or so spell. So that's effectively half a quarter you haven't got your prime target inside 50 and our attack always looked pretty impotent when that happened. I do like TDK though. Is a much better prospect than I gave him credit for.

You're talking around 1% difference in height TW, so it's not significant enough to worry about. Chicken legs or not, Phillips can jump around a full foot higher than anyone else and that is significant. TDK can't do that, so if you're going to go the shorter option then you need someone who can jump. I'd leave him in the ruck at either AFL or VFL level to continue to build his tank as much as anything, but I'm yet to be convinced he's more of a ruck/forward than a forward/ruck.

Whenever they gave McKay a 5 minute run in the ruck last year he'd have to come off for a 7 minute or so spell. So that's effectively half a quarter you haven't got your prime target inside 50 and our attack always looked pretty impotent when that happened. I do like TDK though. Is a much better prospect than I gave him credit for.

Definately only musing about the TDK/Harry combo from 2021 onwards. Kruze and bits of Lobbe and Chicken Legs have to stand up for us for at least 40 games. I would be very content for TDK to play all of '19 in the reserves learning the craft from guys like Lobbe and Fraser.

I haven't seen enough of him to know the finer parts of his game or his make-up so am always interested in reports. I sense that the Club like him and is in their "core" plans for the future. My optimism/hopes for TDK rest largely on what i sense from the Club rather than what i've seen myself. Him and Stocker i need to see more of. Cheers for the opinion.

Ok so here's a thought.

North Melbourne go hard after Josh Kelly and he requests a trade to the Roos (yay, North are finally on the map) :p

GWS demand a Kings ransom, and suddenly their draft picks aren't enough to satisfy the trade.

Jy Simpkin's name gets thrown up in trade discussions a la chad wingard/ryan burton style (Simpkin - talented half forward - exactly what we're looking for)

How do we facilitate the trade to land Simpkin at CFC?

Fair to say that forward line impotence might have a bit to do with Charlie being the only forward target when Harry was in the middle or on the bench?

He should be fitter this year, hopefully he can get his 5+7 down to 5+5. Under normal circumstances Kreuzer plays 80-85% TOG so 4 or 5 minutes ruck relief a quarter should be god enough.

I enjoyed watching the us play the three talls in Charlie, harry & Tom in that game against the dogs at the end of last season. From memory, which is questionable at best, we often had one deep-ish FF, one fairly normal roaming CHF, and a super-HHF getting up onto the wings. When one of the three was on the bench or in the middle then we lost the SHHF and kept the 2 forward targets.

Surely that only improves next year with Mitch joining Charlie & Harry as old mate Sticky Mitts adds his ability to sit on heads and crash packs. Then if he can get fit there's Fasolo who can provide a marking target, plus the three tall mids who can rotate forward. Might be a strategy where we get say Kennedy to play as a forward pocket/flanker and support Charlie & Mitch when Harry rucks/rests.

Granted, all this potential improvement still hinges on our midfield's ability to not only win first touch and the clearance, but also the spread out and then provide a decent standard of forward entry. Touchwood in 2019 a fully fit Murph, Kennedy, Fish, Samo, Setters can combine with Cripps, Ed, Dow, O'Brien, Walsh, etc to win the ball and distribute it lace out to our big boys up front.

How many of you were at the Fremantle game last season at Etihad? I’ve never seen players so completely out of touch with the fitness levels to play the modern game. If you’re not fit enough to run out a game your skills will never be at the level required. Really hoping that the introduction of Russell means that we will be able to execute our skills for a full 4 quarters rather than in patches.
I never go to post with any rumours that I've heard, because I've never been able to verify one from a second source. Just as well since 95% of them were utter fabrication. However, since you've brought this subject up I will share this one as it was told to me:

"The departure of Neil Craig wasn't something the club had planned for or saw coming and was part of the collateral damage from the Trigg sacking, Craig's good friend and ally. We all knew Trigg's sacking was coming weeks before it happened so the rumours internally would've been going on for at least twice that. Craig, now in his early 60s, knows that being shown the door at his age could effectively end his career and engages his manager to put the "feelers" out. This bears unexpected, but welcome, fruit and the opportunity to join the English Rugby Union Side as Fitness Adviser presents itself. It's role that allows Craig and his wife to travel the world, while living in Europe and being paid exceptional coin. It's an offer too good to refuse and once his contract is up with the Blues he moves on. This takes place in the last week of October 2017.

We're now only days away from preseason beginning and Bolton is absolutely livid. SOS has just traded his best midfielder and he's just lost his Fitness Adviser/Director of High Performance. You can't just replace Craig by clicking your fingers, not with the high performance contacts he had at his disposal. Craig had access to some of the most advanced people and cutting-edge programs in professional sport science, both here and abroad. People forget, towards the end of the 2017 season we'd beaten premiership fancy GWS and the Hawks who'd unmercifully pummelled us for over a decade. By this stage all clubs have their high-performance/fitness staff in place and a suitable replacement can't be found. The club approaches John Barker, who despite not being qualified or trained in the position, if he can step in for the 2018 season until a suitable replacement can be found. In the meantime Bolton and his manager seek to opt out of Bolton's rolling contract and request a 3 year extension. Bolton receives written notice from the Board that his services will be retained until the end of the 2020 season, but the rolling contract remains."

Do I think the story has any legs to it??? Well yeah, I can see how it all fits together, but.........you'd need to have very close contacts at both the club and at least with one of Craig or Trigg and you need to have more faith in those sources than Soapy V has in LeBois. Now that's tall order to follow and FWIW, I don't believe this person had either. I suspect it's a story based around a series of educated guesses used to link a number occurrences together. You know, a bit like joining the dots or reading between the lines. It's nothing more than speculation, but it was a ripping yarn as the bloke was telling it.

how much 2s footy do people see tdk playing - one thing to throw him into the real stuff early but is the nbs a better place for him as he learns his craft?

With our list 10 games in Seniors would be great. Has matured a lot and looks great but if he can get 22 games this year regardless of firsts or second that would be awesome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never go to post with any rumours that I've heard, because I've never been able to verify one from a second source. Just as well since 95% of them were utter fabrication. However, since you've brought this subject up I will share this one as it was told to me:

"The departure of Neil Craig wasn't something the club had planned for or saw coming and was part of the collateral damage from the Trigg sacking, Craig's good friend and ally. We all knew Trigg's sacking was coming weeks before it happened so the rumours internally would've been going on for at least twice that. Craig, now in his early 60s, knows that being shown the door at his age could effectively end his career and engages his manager to put the "feelers" out. This bears unexpected, but welcome, fruit and the opportunity to join the English Rugby Union Side as Fitness Adviser presents itself. It's role that allows Craig and his wife to travel the world, while living in Europe and being paid exceptional coin. It's an offer too good to refuse and once his contract is up with the Blues he moves on. This takes place in the last week of October 2017.

We're now only days away from preseason beginning and Bolton is absolutely livid. SOS has just traded his best midfielder and he's just lost his Fitness Adviser/Director of High Performance. You can't just replace Craig by clicking your fingers, not with the high performance contacts he had at his disposal. Craig had access to some of the most advanced people and cutting-edge programs in professional sport science, both here and abroad. People forget, towards the end of the 2017 season we'd beaten premiership fancy GWS and the Hawks who'd unmercifully pummelled us for over a decade. By this stage all clubs have their high-performance/fitness staff in place and a suitable replacement can't be found. The club approaches John Barker, who despite not being qualified or trained in the position, if he can step in for the 2018 season until a suitable replacement can be found. In the meantime Bolton and his manager seek to opt out of Bolton's rolling contract and request a 3 year extension. Bolton receives written notice from the Board that his services will be retained until the end of the 2020 season, but the rolling contract remains."

Do I think the story has any legs to it??? Well yeah, I can see how it all fits together, but.........you'd need to have very close contacts at both the club and at least with one of Craig or Trigg and you need to have more faith in those sources than Soapy V has in LeBois. Now that's tall order to follow and FWIW, I don't believe this person had either. I suspect it's a story based around a series of educated guesses used to link a number occurrences together. You know, a bit like joining the dots or reading between the lines. It's nothing more than speculation, but it was a ripping yarn as the bloke was telling it.

Thanks for posting this 'rumour' or anecdote...

Definitely interesting, but a lot of little details that potentially undermine the credibility of the entire article.

In particular, I can’t see Bolton being upset by Gibbs’ request for a trade given the rhetoric coming out of the club the first three years of the rebuild was we wanted to hit the draft hard, and of course in order to do so there was always going to be some collateral.

Naturally it’s not ideal to lose one of your prime movers, but Bolton is intelligent and considered enough to see the opportunity presented to the club, and I can’t see him diverging from SOS’ aim to bring in more young talent while we are still building the foundation of our future squad.

With Tom Mitchell going down, does that hasten our drafting of Gibbons, if we are interested(could the Hawks have interest there as a ready to go midfield replacement?)?

With Tom Mitchell going down, does that hasten our drafting of Gibbons, if we are interested(could the Hawks have interest there as a ready to go midfield replacement?)?
That’s exactly what I thought when I heard about Mitchell, if we are interested we better get it done sooner rather than later. He looms as a perfect fill in for Mitchell at Hawthorn for 12 months.

they'll look at gibbons or grigg for sure..........

The forgotten man, Mitch Grigg.

Reckon there could be renewed interest in Gibbons now that we’ve got him down training but whether or not the Hawks have had any previously is the Q. Wasn’t aware of Matt Kennedy’s country connection with Gibbons.

Though was just told that it was a clean break and a return could be possible, though wait & see on the surgery etc.

How tall will our Northern Blues be next year??

BSOS Kerr Goddard
Blakey Macreadie Schumacher

Phillips Lang Gibbons
Fisher Stocker Thomas

Finbar Lobbe Casboult
Fasolo TDK Silvagni

Owies Collins Wilson Palmer

Highlighted 190cm or over. Not a bad side really

Really don’t see the need for Kerr down back, if indeed that is the plan.
Hoping Schumacher really kicks on this season, as a defender or midfielder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whats the latest news on the race for our vacant list spot? How is Gibbons and Cotteral tracking?

Just my opinion but picking Gibbons and using the VFL side to assess Cotteral seems like a smarter option.

Not sure but are Blakey and Fisher still training with the main squad?

how much 2s footy do people see tdk playing - one thing to throw him into the real stuff early but is the nbs a better place for him as he learns his craft?

Barring a bad injury run, i don't see him playing many games in the 1s. With the acquisition of Gov and having 3 rucks on the list and Casboult, i see it as a tough ask for him.

If Mckay, Charlie, Gov are out injured, suspended or dropped, i would expect Cas to be ahead of him.

In saying that, hopefully he gets 3-5 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back