Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Docherty will be missed BUT a much improved Midfield, a fitter side that can run two ways, the addition of Newman, a fit Plowman & Jones and the maturing of Weitering should have us in a much better position.
Then when Docherty Williamson & Marchbank get back we are really in a strong position.

Not so sure, we still lack a few off half back that can kick a long penetrating, accurate kick and defend. I am not so confident as others that Newman while a better kick than we had last year is a a much better defender. Last year we spent so much time kicking short and often missing a target off half back only to turn it over.

Not so sure, we still lack a few off half back that can kick a long penetrating, accurate kick and defend. I am not so confident as others that Newman while a better kick than we had last year is a a much better defender. Last year we spent so much time kicking short and often missing a target off half back only to turn it over.

I wouldn't read anything into last year. Couldn't have been worse for so many reasons.

We will be a lot better this year. I rate Newman. With O'Brien dropping back from a wing plus midfielders it will be greatly improved.

Docherty will be missed BUT a much improved Midfield, a fitter side that can run two ways, the addition of Newman, a fit Plowman & Jones and the maturing of Weitering should have us in a much better position.

I also like what I see from Macreadie Goddard BSOS & Garlett.

Then when Docherty Williamson & Marchbank get back we are really in a strong position.
Well yes of course all going well glass half full yada yada yada it looks rosy but as we stand right now our defence doesnt look rosy that is a fact Docherty is not available there are big question marks on both Marchbank and Williamsons ability to string any games together both now and in future until they both prove otherwise and at this stage would have to think are doubtful rd 1. Atm the mention of Bsos Garlett Goddard and Macreadie who is in the Marchbank Williamson category is just reeling off names in hope for the sake of it .
So we may well be starting the season 3 preferred starting best 22 defenders short with unproven or imo inferior replacements if we continue to take injuries to that part of the ground
Imo both Thomas and Garlett who we may be forced to play back are inadequate as small/medium defenders so we are down on quality to start .
Hence the statement we better hope our midfield is humming .

You've seen Macreadie?

Well yes of course all going well glass half full yada yada yada it looks rosy but as we stand right now our defence doesnt look rosy that is a fact Docherty is not available there are big question marks on both Marchbank and Williamsons ability to string any games together both now and in future until they both prove otherwise and at this stage would have to think are doubtful rd 1. Atm the mention of Bsos Garlett Goddard and Macreadie who is in the Marchbank Williamson category is just reeling off names in hope for the sake of it .
So we may well be starting the season 3 preferred starting best 22 defenders short with unproven or imo inferior replacements if we continue to take injuries to that part of the ground
Imo both Thomas and Garlett who we may be forced to play back are inadequate as small/medium defenders so we are down on quality to start .

What do some people actually expect this year?

This year is still very much development and improvement. List is young. IMO we will see a lot of improvement as season progresses.

Our defence is still a work in progress but there is a lot of options and a lot to look forward to. Big picture

What are you seeing from macreadie? Cos he’s done nothing beyond a jog all season apparently.

This year is still very much development and improvement. List is young. IMO we will see a lot of improvement as season progresses.

Our defence is still a work in progress but there is a lot of options and a lot to look forward to. Big picture
I must admit I was gutted when
Doc went down and had to detox off here for a while.

I think we will have a better year than last (not hard I know), we will be back in a space where we win a few where we're not expected to (and get talked up with all that hype and let down that that entails), and lose a few frustrating ones due to fatigue and youth and being sussed out by the opposition.

So I agree development and improvement. I think Bolts will be less forgiving and the, sometimes, public heat will go on the 4 year players and above. That fragility which Russell has been quoted to have said needs to be addressed.

Finally, IF the majority of the best 22 can string a few games together then that continuity will bring some really fun games to barrack for. It will be glimpses again of the Carlton I know, tough accountable footy with more than a touch of flair. A brilliant combination.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Did i say anything about expectations overall the year or anything about our age profile ? What i can see here is a propensity you have of shutting down anybody that you feel is saying anything negative about the players or club in which i dont think i am in commenting on our backline . Your eyes are firmly set on the future and thats fine but sometimes a lowering of the eyes is needed if you are going to be able to discuss the many and varied topics footy brings about without it turning into a long and pointless debate because the future is supposedly almost assuredly in your opinion going to be fine....

I expect two things

1... We win the premiership ;)
2... I will be disappointed we came up a wee bit short but very happy with our progress..........:(:)

Yup, listened to it no idea of timeframe of return, no mention of type of injury, maybe I'm reading too much into it but there is a distinct air of we don't want to talk to the media about specifics of this one yet.
Yeah I agree, I really like Teague's casualness but if you need a spokesperson who reveals nothing. He's your man.(probably end up in politics)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree that the running/rebounding backs are looking thin this year and could be a big problem area.

We will need yet another big year from Simmo (pretty crazy that we are still relying on him so much) and hopefully Newman can be a really solid contributor across the season.

Still lacking speed and precision long kicking which will hurt our transition from defence into attack, and could see the opposition laying siege to our goal for extended periods.

Agree that the running/rebounding backs are looking thin this year and could be a big problem area.

We will need yet another big year from Simmo (pretty crazy that we are still relying on him so much) and hopefully Newman can be a really solid contributor across the season.

Still lacking speed and precision long kicking which will hurt our transition from defence into attack, and could see the opposition laying siege to our goal for extended periods.
Yes and no. Mostly no. He is a terrific player and not done yet so if no-one can force him out of the side that makes him even better. I hope he goes a few more seasons yet. It will be a sad day when he hangs them boots up just like it is with all our champions.

Sometimes this kind of stuff, the spirit of a legend that forges memories for the years to come gets forgotten in the cut and thrust of armchair expertise where every player is just a number to analyse and so casually dismiss.

The reason id like to see Obrien permanently on a back flank rather than trialling Garlett who is still deer in headlight and having Thomas play defence .
Atleast until we get a Marchbank or Williamson into the side .

The reason id like to see Obrien permanently on a back flank rather than trialling Garlett who is still deer in headlight and having Thomas play defence .
Atleast until we get a Marchbank or Williamson into the side .
Agree about Thomas. Many point to his B&F finish last season but if you look at most of the top 10 it was very much a sad indictment on our season (Rowe and Wright in there FFS). He was okay imo and used his smarts well, but is not any kind of attacking threat with his kicking largely impotent these days.

Put it this way... Would the opposition feel at all threatened by the idea of Thomas distributing the ball off half back? I'd say they'd actually welcome it.

Agree about Thomas. Many point to his B&F finish last season but if you look at most of the top 10 it was very much a sad indictment on our season (Rowe and Wright in there FFS). He was okay imo and used his smarts well, but is not any kind of attacking threat with his kicking largely impotent these days.

Put it this way... Would the opposition feel at all threatened by the idea of Thomas distributing the ball off half back? I'd say they'd actually welcome it.
Thomas had a better year but his kicking is still very iffy id say theyd be more like overjoyed to see him playing defence .
Atm we have way too many poor distributors by foot in our backline imo .

Caldwell could be anything. I am told we rated him the second best mid behind Walsh and spoke with him several times. Great mates with Lochie & Dow. I agree Dow will be awesome.

I was just throwing up some names that might be handy and I rated at draft time. Like I have said the past 2 years I will sit back and watch SOS do his work as it will be nothing like we suggest and we will be very happy once it's over. Last year was a classic example.

What I do know is what we believe now will be very different come years end. Our list has so many possibilities it's not funny
Gresham
Caldwell
Ainsworth
Conigilo (FA)
Ellis (FA)
Doc to return also

Don't care how its done. Just get to it Soap

Last edited:
Gresham
Caldwell
Ainsworth
Conigilo (FA)
Ellis (FA)
Doc to return also

Don't care how its done. Just get to it Soap

I’d be happy with that

When we see the improvement in our list after last years draft/trade period something like you mentioned isn’t out of the question. 4-5 good trades/FA and 3 draft picks and we will really be in a great position

O’Brien has been training as a wingman dropping back and pushing forward. That’s his role and I believe he will be damaging. He’s not a defender and it won’t happen. Weitering is a great ball user as is Simpson. Newman is very good as well.

Also watch for players like Walsh SPS Setterfield taking turns dropping back.

I believe Garlett will surprise many. Once he feels comfortable and confident we will see a very different player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back